Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Why so bad TV coverage?

The Championship is officially the fourth most popular football league in the world behind the Premiership, Spanish league, Italian league and then the Championship. So why is the tv coverage so bad when we have so many sports channels now. A once a week highlight show i think is pathetic. Even the local tv channels dedicate about 2 minutes to preview the weekend''s matches, and as for showing the results and goals, well if you blink you miss it, they show them that quick.

Why does sky pump so much money into the premiership and barely any into the championship? Channel 4 show a live match from the Italian League and all the other results every sunday afternoon. I have sentanta sports and i don''t think they do a very good job showing Championship games either. I think its about time these tv channels got their act together!!!

There are several reasons why there is little Championship football on TV. The main reason is Sky. They own the rights to the games and it is up to them to show them or not, and they generally go for not showing them. The highlights are also expensive to own, and the amount of time given to showing the highlights and when they can be show is also dictated by Sky. I do believe that either next season, or the season after the BBC will be showing some championship games, as will Setanta. I''m a little fuzzy on the details but it is either both channels will show 10 games, or they will show 10 games between them.Sky''s tactic has been to buy the rights to anything they can, just to stop other channels showing it and taking viewers away from their precious Premier League games.