Sign in to follow this  
gissing canary

Grants signings and lessons for GR.

No one on here will deny Grant was nothing but an awful manager, but if you look at his signings, they have shocked me that they werent that bad, true he couldnt coach them at all.
  • But Fozzy, Semmy and Gilks, were all free transfers, and comfortable at this level, ok, not world beaters, but for free good players.
  • Russell - 400k, and ok, for that.  Marshall - £750k - again ok.
  • Jamie - one of my least favourite at 750k, but has got over double figures for goals, so not all bad.
  • Even his so called poor signings - Brown, Murray, Brellier and Big Dave.  We made a profit on Brown, only lost 200k on Dave, and the others were free, and went for free.
  • Lappin at 75k, after his goal at Celtic, we will easily get 250k - IMO.
  • Chadwick - 250k, and injury prone.
My point about this, is not that Grant was any good, but that working with such a budget is so hard, Grant only really made Dave as a terrible signing, then he scored against Tottenham.  Everyone else was average, rather than great, but for me it shows how hard it is going to be for Glenn.  There might be some money available, but we need 6 or 7 class starting players, to get up, to do that with even 3mill is asking a lot, and I see the money being 2mill tops, and thats very tops.  I like Glenn but remain unconvinced about a few things, this is going to be a very very hard summer, as there arent that many top freebies around.  It shows from Grants attempts, and Roeders absolute reliance on loans, that this summer is gonna be so so tough!