Sign in to follow this  
Phil Boyers Admiral top

This has to be McNallys last chance surely?

He got lambert right but all the other appointments since have been a disaster. I have no idea who this bloke is so we can only hope that McNally Knows something I dont. Maybe he just decided he wanted to go scottish again. I would imagine it was simpler than that - he was cheap no doubt. If he doesn''t get it right (yet again) then he really needs to go ruin someone else''s club.

I suppose we all see what we want to see, but I don''t think Hughton or Adams have been "a disaster".
Hughton - successful 1st season, disappointing 2nd season.
Adams - good start, fell away.
Both were ultimately disappointing, which is why most managers end up leaving (the other way is the Lambert way where they are too successful rather than not successful enough) but to call them "disasters" is unfair IMO.
Gunn - disaster
Hamilton - disaster
Grant - disaster

As said above, i don''t certain Hughton or Adams could be described as ''disasters''.

But every new manager is a dent to McNallys reputation. Hopefully this will be the one that puts things right

Ultimately 90%+ of managers are "failures" so dont see this as his last chance at all.

Phil

Before McNally under Delia and Michael''s ownership, approx. 13 seasons, only 2 in the top 6 of the Championship and 1 in the Premiership. The rest were dross.

When McNally joined we were in league 1, but in the 4 seasons that followed we had 1 in the Championship and 3 in the Premiership.

OK, let''s just suppose we don''t quite make the play offs this May (I think we will personally).

Are you seriously suggesting we get rid of McNally ?

I am quite comfortable with McNally. He is an experienced straight talking guy and knows his football inside out. I have found him down to earth and approachable.A bit hard to say his managerial appointments have been disastrous. Hughton had a reasonable record and if Adams had been another Dave Stringer we would have been happy. The first time I saw Hughton''s defensive set up I was not impressed but that was the way he saw it to keep us in the Premiership - for at least one season. As regards Adams, the players have not been giving him 100% and to be honest I cannot fathom out why.

I do see McNally as being a bit of a hard man when it comes to money, but we can''t have it always.

He got Lambert right and he got Hughton right. He got the timing of Hughtons sacking wrong and Adams was the wrong appointment. For me, given what Lambert did he''s still in credit for me.

Alex Neil is either going to be sensational or a disaster. As I said in another thread, better to appoint someone potentially brilliant than some journeyman ''name'' who would guarantee mediocrity.

It''s going to take something special to get us into the auto''s or to inspire us through the play-offs this year so a potentially brilliant manager like Neil was the way to go.

This isn''t a ''safe pair of hands'' like Hughton or a complete gamble like Adams. This is a sensational young coach who has already shown all of the traits we need. He has an exemplary record as a manger, plays Lambert like football, won''t take any sh!t from primadonnas and unlike Lambert is happy to be here and to be given the chance to take our club forward.

McNally has made 2 mistakes and sanctioned the moves for some very poor players under whatever manager we had at the time''s instructions. I''m 99% sure this appointment will work out and we''ll all be worshipping him again soon!

Let''s get behind this new guy as we really might have lucked onto something special here!

We''re 7th with a +15 goal difference and a good squad, when they can be arsed. Hardly a disaster and not shocking. Not good enough to be sure......

[quote user="Herman "]We''re 7th with a +15 goal difference and a good squad, when they can be arsed. Hardly a disaster and not shocking. Not good enough to be sure......[/quote]Now Felix Magath, an incredibly experienced manager who had never previously been relegated, had Fulham rock bottom and sinking without trace with largely a Premier League squad. [i]That''s[/i] a disaster. Adams was a disappointment, and had to go, but far from a disaster.

Absolutely ridiculous post

Without McNally we would be in the Conference if it was left to Delia to appoint Managers given her record before he arrived

If u want to watch none league football Boyer - carry on - idiot

Good discussion point

Idiotic posts ( u would expect nothing less from half whit''s)

Mcnally saved this club from the Conference or even possible extinction which is where we were heading with Delia at the helm ( we were sinking faster than the Titantic before he arrived)

Phil Boyer''s Admiral top I love your satire but at some point this man has to be held accountable for his decision making which has led to directionless and tasteless times recently as a city fan. No?

Mmm stinks of multiple account syndrome

how can the man who saved the club from financial ruin with a plan way ahead of schedule be so ridiculed

if we roll the dice and get doomcaster mk2 that would be a disaster

Of course the only job he has is to recruit the manager isn''t it? And thats so easy anyone could do it, which is the reason every other club is a roaring success story apart from us. Let''s get Doncaster back because he was brilliant, I loved the excitement of being told a transfer was imminent only for three weeks later it not to have materialised, what a thrill.

Phil Boyer''s AT said: "I love your satire but at some point this man has to be held accountable for his decision making which has led to directionless and tasteless times recently as a city fan. No? "

ha ha ha ha ha ! You are an Ipswich supporter and I claim my £5!

(I must have missed your tenure as CEO at wherever....)

I think the original poster is overreacting somewhat. I wasn''t a fan of Chris Hughton at all, but it''s unfair to call his tenure disastorous. In his first season he kept us up, despite having one of the 3 lowest budgets in the division. Yes, there was good fortune with Man City and West Brom kindly not showing up in our last two matches, but there was some wretched luck at times (that penalty in the Arsenal away game springs to mind). It was an important building block for club which allowed them to pay down the final instalments of external debt. For a club that was on the verge of adminstration in 2009, Hughton has played his part in helping to put the club on a sound financial footing. You also have to look at a decision at the time it was made rather than using the benefit of hindsight. I think most people on this board agreed that Hughton was the clear and obvious candidate for the job. He was seen as a safe and experienced pair of hands to help consolidate us in the top flight. I for one, certainly won''t criticse McNally for his apppointment. His second season obviously wasn''t good enough given the amount of money spent and the style of football we continued to employ and I think it''s agreed we should have acted sooner to replace him. But a disastorous appointment I would regard as Bryan Hamilton or Glenn Roeder, where the manager leaves you with absolutely no positives to work from. That simply isn''t the case here.I agree that Neil Adams wasn''t a sensible appointment. Whilst, the man is a  promising coach (you don''t win an FA youth cup against Chelsea over 2 legs if you are inept), he was elevated too soon. Unfortunately that has extinguished what could have been a promising managerial career. However, whilst Adams tenure was disappointing it wasn''t disastorous. We''re 7th in the table - 3 points outside the play off places. There is still a decent chance that we can make the playoffs. That isn''t being delusional, thinking we can go up automatically would be. Given the resources and budget we have it is disappointing we are 7th but it''s also worth remembering how Fulham and Cardiff have taken to life back at this level. Neither side are anywhere near the promotion picture - I would therefore describe what Solksjaer or Magath did as being disastorous and they were two managers with a lot of managerial experience. I don''t regard this as being McNally''s last chance saloon. Obviously, the appointment is a massive gamble and if it fails serious questions will be asked of him. However, I''m actually quite upbeat about the appointment. They''ll be critics out there calling it the cheap option, but for me it represents a welcome return to the principles which put this club on an upward trajectory in the first place. A young, exciting and hungry manager who has proven himself at a lower level and deserves the chance to step up and prove himself again. Chucking money at a problem doesn''t necessarily solve things - as Ipswich are finding with their recently success on a modest budget after years of big spending under Evans. So let''s give the man a chance and see where he can take us - it could be actually be a lot of fun.

I''d agree that Phil''s description of Mc N''s tenure as ''disastrous'' is a little OTT, but, like pop stars, football bosses'' are widely seen as only being as good as their last effort. Some people may not like that situation, but I''m afraid for many, that''s the way it is.And of late, D Mc N seems to have somewhat lost the plot. Sure....Hughton seemed like a safe appointment, and for a while it indeed seemed like that, but now I think it''s generally accepted (even by many on this board who a year ago were pleading for more time !) that he hung on far too long before getting rid of him. The less said about Adams'' appointment the better.So, to go back to the popstar analogy : I see Mc N as a singer who''s had a string of Number One hits, but his last couple have failed to make the charts. In Alex Neil he has a release that ,if that too fails to get into the top 10 , then I think we could be looking at the record label dropping him.....

Reggie u cannot put Hughtons departure at MacNally door

The board ( Delia admitted on the radio) that they made a mistake by not replacing him at Christmas - no way can the blame be put at McNallys door

[quote user="Newton"]Reggie u cannot put Hughtons departure at MacNally door

The board ( Delia admitted on the radio) that they made a mistake by not replacing him at Christmas - no way can the blame be put at McNallys door[/quote]....the self same board of which Mc N is a key member (chief exec ), Newton.So in what way can these decisions be ''not at his door '' ?

Reggie 6 on the board, needs a majority to make a decision - status quo & nothing happens

I have heard Delia & Hubby always vote together & Fry who does not attend meetings always gives him proxy vote to Delia (why do u think Delia put him on the board in the 1st place - this twitter crap is a smoke screen - its so nothing can happen at meetings unless she wants it too)

You cannot lay the delay in Hughtons departure at McNallys door he only has 1 x vote & Delia openly admitted on Radio Norfolk last May the the Board made a mistake by not replacing him at Christmas - do you seriously think Delia & crew used there 3 votes to sack him & McNally etc voted to keep him ?

Seems very unlikely

[quote user="Newton"]Reggie 6 on the board, needs a majority to make a decision - status quo & nothing happens

I have heard Delia & Hubby always vote together & Fry who does not attend meetings always gives him proxy vote to Delia (why do u think Delia put him on the board in the 1st place - this twitter crap is a smoke screen - its so nothing can happen at meetings unless she wants it too)

You cannot lay the delay in Hughtons departure at McNallys door he only has 1 x vote & Delia openly admitted on Radio Norfolk last May the the Board made a mistake by not replacing him at Christmas - do you seriously think Delia & crew used there 3 votes to sack him & McNally etc voted to keep him ?

Seems very unlikely[/quote]Actually seven.

[quote user="Newton"]

Seems very unlikely[/quote]What also seems very unlikely is whether you actually understand how this whole ''board'' malarkey works.The clue is in the ''Chief'' element in CEO. Mc N is the main man. The guy who ultimately makes the decisions. The buck stops with him. It''s what he''s paid to do.None of us has the knowledge as to how these board votes go. But, in the end , Mc N either wields the axe or is kingmaker.

I agree 100% with the OP... McNally has made one really good decision in all of the time he has been here - and that was getting Lambert in. It wasn''t exactly an "out of the box" masterstroke was it though.. they knew each other, his team had just slaughtered ours, he was cheap and he would tow the line because this was a massive opportunity for him. Lambert then brings success to the club which brings in loads of money and we are suddenly "ahead of plan". Great news...but not exactly the rocket science that some people on here seem to be claiming... From then on it has all been downhill with McNally riding on the back of that one good (albeit easy..) decision that many of us on here (who are not paid massive exec level salaries) would also have made. As soon as Lambert started to assert himself internally then the weakness of McNally became aparant and Lambert left. He then brings in two "yes" men who he knew would never challenge him - and look where we are today...So what about the latest managerial appointment?... On the face of it looks like McNally has worked out that "yes" men don''t make good managers. However, I fear that this will also fail in the near/short term for one of two possible reasons 1) this guy has a limited track record and may well be out of his depth 2) if he succeeds and starts to challenge McNally in any way, which I am sure he will do if first interviews are anything to go by, then guess what will happen (again). We are basically in a no win situation if McNally remains in charge.I hope I am wrong and will be 100% behind the manager, however I think we have a big problem with McNally being in charge. I think he muscled his was into our club because of the perceived softness and naivety of Delia and team in footballing circles, and he felt comfortable that they wouldn''t challenge him. He has then avoided appointing anyone who has the experience and personality to challenge him, and if they do challenge him then it ends up with them leaving. His leadership style basically doesn''t suit strong and experienced managers and that is exactly what we needed now to guarantee a spot back in the Premier league. Saying all of that I would also bet that not many experienced and assertive managers would agree to come here in the first place under McNallys reign. I have seen this many times in corporate life. In my oppinion McNally is a survivor who doesn''t feel comfortable being challenged and will do anything to ensure he remains in his very lucrative role. I am not advocating a return to someone of the same ilk as Doncaster for one moment, I just think we could get a lot better for the money we pay for his role. Someone who is a better and with a more effective leadership style than semi-dictatorial.. I think he has us around the throat as club and is holding us backAll of this is just my opinion and like I said - I will be 100% behind the new manager, and if we are back in the Premier league with the current manager still in place in 5 years time then I will be proven to be talking complete nonsense...    OTBC

The thing is Reggie, Newton thinks that McNally is paid millions of pounds in wages and bonuses to do nothing except what Delia tells him to. An extremely expensive dog, so to speak.

[quote user="Cambridge Yellow"]I think the original poster is overreacting somewhat. I wasn''t a fan of Chris Hughton at all, but it''s unfair to call his tenure disastorous. In his first season he kept us up, despite having one of the 3 lowest budgets in the division. Yes, there was good fortune with Man City and West Brom kindly not showing up in our last two matches, but there was some wretched luck at times (that penalty in the Arsenal away game springs to mind). It was an important building block for club which allowed them to pay down the final instalments of external debt. For a club that was on the verge of adminstration in 2009, Hughton has played his part in helping to put the club on a sound financial footing. You also have to look at a decision at the time it was made rather than using the benefit of hindsight. I think most people on this board agreed that Hughton was the clear and obvious candidate for the job. He was seen as a safe and experienced pair of hands to help consolidate us in the top flight. I for one, certainly won''t criticse McNally for his apppointment. His second season obviously wasn''t good enough given the amount of money spent and the style of football we continued to employ and I think it''s agreed we should have acted sooner to replace him. But a disastorous appointment I would regard as Bryan Hamilton or Glenn Roeder, where the manager leaves you with absolutely no positives to work from. That simply isn''t the case here.I agree that Neil Adams wasn''t a sensible appointment. Whilst, the man is a  promising coach (you don''t win an FA youth cup against Chelsea over 2 legs if you are inept), he was elevated too soon. Unfortunately that has extinguished what could have been a promising managerial career. However, whilst Adams tenure was disappointing it wasn''t disastorous. We''re 7th in the table - 3 points outside the play off places. There is still a decent chance that we can make the playoffs. That isn''t being delusional, thinking we can go up automatically would be. Given the resources and budget we have it is disappointing we are 7th but it''s also worth remembering how Fulham and Cardiff have taken to life back at this level. Neither side are anywhere near the promotion picture - I would therefore describe what Solksjaer or Magath did as being disastorous and they were two managers with a lot of managerial experience. I don''t regard this as being McNally''s last chance saloon. Obviously, the appointment is a massive gamble and if it fails serious questions will be asked of him. However, I''m actually quite upbeat about the appointment. They''ll be critics out there calling it the cheap option, but for me it represents a welcome return to the principles which put this club on an upward trajectory in the first place. A young, exciting and hungry manager who has proven himself at a lower level and deserves the chance to step up and prove himself again. Chucking money at a problem doesn''t necessarily solve things - as Ipswich are finding with their recently success on a modest budget after years of big spending under Evans. So let''s give the man a chance and see where he can take us - it could be actually be a lot of fun.

[/quote]Roeder took over when we were rock bottom of the league and inherited a load of absolute dross from Grant. He was charged with saving us from relegation and did so with a game to spare. As a horses-for-courses managerial appointment it was an inspired choice. The downside was that for financial reasons he had to rely on loanees to get us out of trouble. He could only think of the short-term objective, so in the second season that - plus his less admirable traits as a manager - meant we struggled.

[quote user="Herman "], Newton thinks that McNally is paid millions of pounds in wages and bonuses to do nothing .[/quote]Sounds like my kind of job, Herman. Where does one apply ?  Please send me an application form........