Sign in to follow this  
gitto

What does your intuition really tell you?

I am surprised at some of the opinions but understand where the points are coming from.

I personally have a good feeling about him. I think it''s important to look at the person rather than just his record on paper.

First of all he seems to get animated and in the zone while on the touch line and this will please a lot of our fans. I think we will see a louder Carrow Rd and when we are rocking it can really affect the players here.

Although young I don''t see that being a problem, if the players take to him they will be willing to run through walls for him and its so important that they want to play for him, it has been mentioned how he had that relationship with the Hamilton players. There are plenty of old managers not doing as well so if he''s got it he''s got it.

His playing career doesn''t matter as long as he knows the game and tactically with Hamilton he''s done it. We don''t need anybody to coach these players how to play football.

The test will be if we do go on a poor run or times get hard and he needs to dig us out of hole and does he also have an eye for a player.

I think he will get us to the play offs and go from there. For automatics he needs to get us on a serious winning run.

OTBC

My intuition tells me that managers that seem like perfect fits are often failures and ones that come from left field are sometimes inspired.

If the first point wasn''t the case then the average manager life span of a manager would be a bit longer. However most managers, even initially successful ones, don''t last more than a couple of seasons if that.

Having read about the guy, heard him talk in a few interviews and watched some of his teams play, my gut is that he will do no worse, and has the potential to do much better, than any journeyman Championship manager.

I am seriously excited about this appointment. He has drive, ambition, maturity beyond his years and what he has achieved in his relatively short career is quite remarkable.

I was pleased with the appointments of Paul Lambert and Chris Hughton. I was distraught with the appointment of Neil Adams but this last week has totally changed my outlook on the rest of the season and I am now buzzing about what it has in store for us!

This is a long term project and the combination of AN and MP is a truly exciting one for all of us.

OTBC.

[quote user="Monty13"]My intuition tells me that managers that seem like perfect fits are often failures and ones that come from left field are sometimes inspired.

If the first point wasn''t the case then the average manager life span of a manager would be a bit longer. However most managers, even initially successful ones, don''t last more than a couple of seasons if that.

Having read about the guy, heard him talk in a few interviews and watched some of his teams play, my gut is that he will do no worse, and has the potential to do much better, than any journeyman Championship manager.[/quote]

Very much this ^^

My intuition most certainly did not prepare me for the display yesterday ! If that was even in a small part to do with the manager , there is definitely some hope on the rest of the season .

I am very happy with this , but contains that Monty is right with his assessment , and we have to be realistic , but hopefully ,,, here we go ! OTBC

I will admit that I am now very excited about the rest of the season. MP and the coaches trained and selected the team that were holding their own, and probably the better team, until Howsons red, at which point AN went to the dugout and the rest is history. If they continue to have this apparent unity the future is yellow. At this halfway stage of the season, Bournemouth were, I believe ten points ahead of us. If they could score ten more than us in the first half of the season, why should we doubt that we can equal their feat? Let battle commence. OTBC.

The headline point is that there are reasons to be optimistic for the first time in over a year. I shall explain.

Last Summer my view was that following relegation we had the players to finish in the automatic promotion positions. Whether it''s yellow tinted glasses or not, I felt our squad/ overall context to be better placed than that of either Fulham/Cardiff. Had we appointed an experienced manager last Summer, with the same budget as was given to Adams, my view is that it would be Derby and ourselves occupying the two automatic promotion spots today.

Equally, under Adams, I felt his lack of experience meant that a mid-table finish would be the most likely outcome. The most significant factor explaining these two outcomes was that I felt Adams would lack the experience to react when things got difficult which, in a league as competitive as the Championship, is always going to happen.

Interestingly, had the experienced manager project failed at the end of this season, Adams may have been an appropriate choice at that point. This is because if we were to find ourselves in the championship in the summer we would inevitably witness the dismantling of the squad, with the consequent need to play our development squad players in the following season, a group which Adams would have known better than anyone.

Although it is not the dominant view on this board, in my view the automatic promotion opportunity has already sailed. However, the combination of Phelan with a gritty, hungry, young new manager should hopefully see us in a playoff spot. Whether we get promoted from the playoffs is simply a one in four lottery chance (as against if not a certainty a much more likely outcome had we appointed Lennon last summer). However, should we fail this season, Neil seemingly has the attributes to maximise the potential of our development squad players so important for year two in the championship.

So, reasons to be optimistic, yes. Would be in this situation had different decisions be taken in the summer? In my view, no.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]The headline point is that there are reasons to be optimistic for the first time in over a year. I shall explain.

Last Summer my view was that following relegation we had the players to finish in the automatic promotion positions. Whether it''s yellow tinted glasses or not, I felt our squad/ overall context to be better placed than that of either Fulham/Cardiff. Had we appointed an experienced manager last Summer, with the same budget as was given to Adams, my view is that it would be Derby and ourselves occupying the two automatic promotion spots today.

Equally, under Adams, I felt his lack of experience meant that a mid-table finish would be the most likely outcome. The most significant factor explaining these two outcomes was that I felt Adams would lack the experience to react when things got difficult which, in a league as competitive as the Championship, is always going to happen.

Interestingly, had the experienced manager project failed at the end of this season, Adams may have been an appropriate choice at that point. This is because if we were to find ourselves in the championship in the summer we would inevitably witness the dismantling of the squad, with the consequent need to play our development squad players in the following season, a group which Adams would have known better than anyone.

Although it is not the dominant view on this board, in my view the automatic promotion opportunity has already sailed. However, the combination of Phelan with a gritty, hungry, young new manager should hopefully see us in a playoff spot. Whether we get promoted from the playoffs is simply a one in four lottery chance (as against if not a certainty a much more likely outcome had we appointed Lennon last summer). However, should we fail this season, Neil seemingly has the attributes to maximise the potential of our development squad players so important for year two in the championship.

So, reasons to be optimistic, yes. Would be in this situation had different decisions be taken in the summer? In my view, no.[/quote]To an extent I think that is yellow-tinted. I said before the season started that Fulham looked certainly as well-placed as us in terms of the squad.But the main point is this recurring question of an experienced manager, which has become a bit of a mantra. The trouble is which experienced manager? All these 10 experienced managers - taken from the pool of talent in which we have to fish - have been sacked or "resigned" in the Championship this season:Sannino (Watford), Solskjaer (Cardiff), Magath (Fulham), Rosler (Wigan), Freedman (Bolton), Clark (Birmingham), Milanic (Leeds), Riga (Blackpool), Adkins (Reading) and Hyppia (Brighton).That is a pretty sobering list, showing that experience in itself would have been no guarantee of a top two place for us this season. Of course if an inexperienced manager doesn''t work out, as with us, although Adams was hardly an outright failure, then the decison to ignore experience superficially looks flawed.Until you examine that list, and the also sobering list of the very middling managers who have come into the division this season (or just been recycled)  such as Russell Slade (?!), Clark, Chris Powell and Hughton.In brief the decison the directors had in the summer was not between a high -risk Adams and a racing or near-racing certainty, but between a high-risk Adams and someone who was known to have limitations and might end up being very mid-table mediocre.

We shall have to agree to disagree I think Purple. Put it this way, I think the ''gamble'' on someone like Lennon would have been less that the ''gamble'' on Adams, importantly, in year one following relegation. Equally, had Lennon or equivalent failed, I think you can make that the case that a ''gamble'' on Adams in year two as compared to that of another experienced manager may, in fact, be much more evenly weighted.

As a codicil to my earlier post, I think the reasons to be optimistic largely disappear if Phelan leaves the team because of the loss of inter alia his contacts, gravitas and experience.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]We shall have to agree to disagree I think Purple. Put it this way, I think the ''gamble'' on someone like Lennon would have been less that the ''gamble'' on Adams, importantly, in year one following relegation. Equally, had Lennon or equivalent failed, I think you can make that the case that a ''gamble'' on Adams in year two as compared to that of another experienced manager may, in fact, be much more evenly weighted.

As a codicil to my earlier post, I think the reasons to be optimistic largely disappear if Phelan leaves the team because of the loss of inter alia his contacts, gravitas and experience.[/quote]Highland, this is what it comes down to. By omission, since you mention no-one else, I assume you accept most if not all the other available choices were highly questionable. You think we should have gone for the admittedly lesser gamble - but still a gamble - of Lennon. And a gamble no other Championship club took, until Bolton took a chance. It is not believable, for example, that if Forest or Leeds or Cardiff or Fulham had wanted Lennon he would have turned them down. Other boards of directors must have harboured the same doubts ours did.

Purple, clearly we are not privy to the machinations of the various corporate boardrooms you highlight. The extent to which Lennon was or was not considered by other clubs is simply speculation. I suspect, however, Lennon would have been a relatively expensive managerial choice and potentially beyond that of Forest and Leeds given the financial straits of those clubs. For me, one of the other attractions of Lennon was the liklihood of him being able to leverage the best out of Hooper, arguably, our most important asset. Yesterday, he didn''t appear to get out of second gear - but still scored - I would rather like to see a free firing Hooper in a yellow shirt; it is to hope that Neil also holds the key to that challenge.

Purple don''t try and bring facts and reason into theoretical football arguments, what are you thinking?

Yes, I had to smile too. Highland has more speculation and yellow-tint coloring his thoughts but he feels it appropriate to point out to Purple where he speculates.

It''s early days with this new manager and, at this moment in time, we still have the same players crossing the white line so, to say, after a few minutes of Mr. Neil''s involvement, that things are much more optimistic when consistency has to be demonstrated for at least a month ( maybe two ) is highly premature. 

When I pointed out that Neil Adams had out tacticed Neil Lennon when their teams met I was told on here that it was because our Neil had far superior players and their Neil had a bargain basement bunch. I think it was likened to our Neil driving a Porche and their Neil driving a Skoda. Which is all well and fine but when I asked why their Neil could only get the Skoda their was no answer and the thread drifted merrily into the sunset.....

Like Johnny Nash sang so well [8] There are more questions than answers....

I still think this is a panic appointment and the question needs to be asked whether Europe was searched this time round. I''m having a hard job thinking the best candidate was someone with less than two years experience at a tiny Scottish club who plays a dated variant of the traditional long ball game.There was a time when we were at the cutting edge attempting to emulate the playing styles of the best European teams. But with Alex Neil we''re attempting to emulate a former manager who achieved nothing more than recovering our place in the top league. As a club we ran out of ideas many years ago and seem to lack the ambition to move forward.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Purple, clearly we are not privy to the machinations of the various corporate boardrooms you highlight. The extent to which Lennon was or was not considered by other clubs is simply speculation. I suspect, however, Lennon would have been a relatively expensive managerial choice and potentially beyond that of Forest and Leeds given the financial straits of those clubs. For me, one of the other attractions of Lennon was the liklihood of him being able to leverage the best out of Hooper, arguably, our most important asset. Yesterday, he didn''t appear to get out of second gear - but still scored - I would rather like to see a free firing Hooper in a yellow shirt; it is to hope that Neil also holds the key to that challenge.[/quote]Highland, my speculation as far as Lennon is concerned, that other clubs took a look and decided against, is based on a logical assessment of the facts. I make it that there were no fewer than eight other Championship clubs apart from ourselves who changed managers in the summer/autumn, before Bolton went for Lennon, and Watford did it twice and I lost count of how many times Leeds did it.Your comment about Forest and Leeds not being able to afford Lennon makes no sense at all, since Forest went for Stuart Pearce, who will hardly have come cheap, and Leeds'' financial position has hardly stopped them making multiple changes. And you can hardly argue that Cardiff or Fulham or Brighton could not have afforded Lennon while Bolton could!The strong probability is that at least some Championship clubs (not forgetting West Brom and Crystal Palace in the Premier League) that Lennon would have been delighted to join thought him still too much of a gamble.