Sign in to follow this  
gitto

What does your intuition really tell you?

It''s great all this positive thinking towards this forward thinking adventurous move to get 33Yo Alex Neil in as manager. "The new Lambert", but really in your heart of hearts do you honestly think this is great? Is this just another McNally and Bowkit floundering around in the dark???? Listen to your instinct!!! Let the force be with you!!!! etc etc etc....... Why Alex Neil and not Neil Lennon????? I know Lennon is at Bolton now, but he was free at the start of the season. Did you see Hamilton''s win over Celtic earlier in the season? Was it tactical genius or did Celtic tear Hamilton apart time and again and miss numerous chances to hammer the Accies. Momentum is a powerful thing in football. Let''s face it City only got automatic promotion to the prem last time cause Cardiff screwed up at home to Middlesbro. Mcnally and Bowkit have once again screwed the Norwich fans over. AGAIN!!!!

I know I will get destroyed for this opinion, but really look into your hearts and tell me that really REALLY. Is this great? Indeed it may work. But then again go down the bookies 2moro and put a bet on a 100-1 horse to win a race.

It may come in, but was the bet out of luck or judgement???

[quote user="lincoln canary"]From the sky interview, my gut feeling is too young and inexperienced.

I can''t comprehend how he''ll have respect from the elder, experienced players.

Dave Hockaday MK 2[/quote]LINCOLN CANARY IN NEGATIVE POST SHOCK!

Gut feeling is that he might just be the right guy for the job. Yes there are concerns, but the respect thing isn''t/shouldn''t be one of them - Doesnt matter his age/reputation, he''s the boss and if players fail to respect him they need to be booted out of the club. Absolutely nobody deserves to be untouchable, even though from the attitudes shown this season a few I suspect think they are (Martin, Ruddy, Wes?) Hopefully they will all behave properly and work their backsides off to prove themselves worthy of wearing the shirt!

Might? Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself. I do agree with you, I think it''s the lack of Leadership on the pitch that''s the problem. Tactics only get you so far. Do you remember Laurie McMenemy, he had a very successful Southampton side, but he filled it with experienced leaders, Alan Ball, Peter Osgood, Kevin Keegan etc etc. As soon as he tried to do it without people like that, he failed dreadfully. City need leadership ala Grant Holt did show. Not now obviously, but he did at the time.. Malky Mackay and Iwan Roberts were other examples and as soon as Worthington got rid of those Norwich floundered.

That it''s a fu(king big gamble.

Yet it''s good to roll the dice sometimes though. However I''m still not quite sure why we didn''t get someone who has experience in getting championship teams promoted.

Big decision from Mcnally, and he must know more about him that just the results. If he gets this right, we be it fantastic hand. Premie League, young manager, Phelan as coach, young talents. I''m getting ahead of myself, though I hope it does work.

As I''ve said in another post, yes Hamilton are from Scotland, and yes NCFC have a bigger stadium,

bigger transfer budget, better league etc etc. The way I see it, is he

took over the ropes of a small team, and transformed them into title

contenders, and successfully got them promoted. He''s

then  replicated that a season later, at a higher level. . So he can motivate Possibly similar to Lambert in being able to get best out of players? Time will tell

Mine says too young.

Going to strugglle with dressing room egos.

Easy to manipulate for the Board.

Its the wrong time for us to develop a managers career.

Bit of a mess with his men and Phelun & Holt still there.

We will still be in this league next year.

But. He must have something about him , so lets get behind him

City to win 21 of their remaining fixtures and storm to the title. McNally to pick up a huge performance bonus and Delia to be named Damn Delia, oops sorry, Dame Delia.

After two failed gambles in sticking with Hughton and appointing Adams permanently, this is a desperate gamble by McNally to try and dig himself and the club out of a giant hole.Each gamble is bigger than the last with more at stake. If this insane gamble fails then the hole will have gotten even bigger.I fear that the club has had a meltdown moment similar in sheer lunacy to the appointment of Gunn.

My intuition tells me there will be fifty-three new threads talking about "the gamble this club is taking" and none of them will say anything we don''t already know, i.e. it''s a gamble.I''m all for it, it''s a new chapter and can''t be worse than the last two years of mediocrity. Bring it on and get behind the new man.

I''ve read quite a lot of this forum since ''Sir Alex'' was announced to be in talks with Norwich, some of the negativity is simply ridiculous, however I do understand some fans are sceptical about his ability, I''ve posted elsewhere on here but I can''t stress how good Neil has been for at Accies when he took over with zero managerial experience.

I probably don''t appreciate the size of Norwich City but Neil shows great promise.

Accies are a very small team, to get us into the premier league is a great achievement in itself, to get us to 3rd after 20 games and 3 points behind Celtic is nothing short of a miracle.

Yes I know The scottish league is poor, the step up in standard of league is vast however the step up in terms of ability of player he is working with on a day to day basis is even greater.

Neil gets the best out of his players, here he has players playing the best football of their careers, albeit they may be limited in ability in comparison to some Norwich players but that''s not what we are debating.

His managerial record is short but so far

- taken over a floundering team sitting near the bottom of the Scottish championship, won 6 from 8 games, shows he can motivate.

- first full pre season, brought in a few of his own players but with bulk of the same squad, got us promoted via the play offs, shows he has an eye for a player and continued to improve players who he inherited.

- continued development of young players, got them playing consistently well

- this year we are playing teams who have resources we can only dream of, we are beating them comfortably, never took a hammering despite the step up

- plays good football, with better players, the standard will improve (so will the opposition) but we are a small fish playing in a big pond (for a club of our size) Norwich appear to be a big club playing in a league below where many think they belong.

I''m aware he didn''t have an illustrious playing career but that goes for nothing, equally he doesn''t have vast experience, but what he has done in 20 months at Hamilton is incredible.

Another wee while at Accies would have done him no harm but if his career continues to develop at a fraction of how it has gone previous Norwich will have a fu(king great manager.

Hopefully u have a good scouting system, he will need help identifying players of the standard Norwich require to kick on, hopefully Phelan stays by his side and offers him guidance.

Players who don''t respect him possibly don''t belong at such a big club if they can''t show the professionalism a supporter would expect, it''s them who will lose out as Neil isn''t one to take nonsense, hopefully he will rid your club of any deadwood and improve it with new hungry players or develop what appears to be a quality youth system.

Best of luck, Norwich will be the first English result I look for, same with a lot of our fans.

#InSirAlexWeTrust

#OTBC

a manager who does wonders with limited resources. Sounds perfect with a Board who want the cheapest option Im afraid. IF you were on the Norwich board at the start of the season with the parachute money from the premiership would you as a outside opinion, have gone for Alex Neil or Neil Lennon as your manger to get promotion back to the premiership.. Answer honestly? Is Alex Neil better than Neil Lennon as a manager?

Further to the above, I can''t see Neil being a player/manager, he''s very good up here, dirty as well but the English Championship will be too quick for him, wouldn''t be surprised to see him play reserve team football and coach youngsters through a game, he done this with James McCarthy (everton) and James Mcarthur (palace)

He isn''t daft and will know he has to make a go of it as a manager, he will concentrate on this.

[quote user=" Green and Yellow"]Cheap and cheerful. Carboot sale purchase from the board who haven''t got the bottle to go and get someone like Eddie Howe.[/quote]Eddie Howe said yesterday that he wouldn''t leave Bournemouth even if he was offered the Newcastle job so fat chance that he''d come here.Anyway, back on subject my intuition tells me it''s probably going to be the right decision

Clearly in the minority, but I''ve got a good feeling about this. Hadn''t heard of him before yesterday but the more I read about him the more I like the sound of him, what he''s achieved at Hamilton is nothing short of exceptional.

Best of luck to them for the rest of the season.

[quote user="gitto"]a manager who does wonders with limited resources. Sounds perfect with a Board who want the cheapest option Im afraid. IF you were on the Norwich board at the start of the season with the parachute money from the premiership would you as a outside opinion, have gone for Alex Neil or Neil Lennon as your manger to get promotion back to the premiership.. Answer honestly? Is Alex Neil better than Neil Lennon as a manager?[/quote]

Is that Neil Lennon who had no managerial experience when he took on the Celtic job?? Who Celtic fans had huge doubts about?

I can''t tell u who is better, Lennon took on a huge job, won the SPL a few times with no competition, I honestly think that it would be difficult for ANYONE not to win the league as Celtic manager currently. Good results in Europe under Lennon but possibly a flash in the pan!!

Put it this way, I can''t see how Lennon would have had the same success if he was Accies manager, for 20 months Neil has had Accies punching above there weight.

No guarantees in football but I''m confident Neil will certainly not take Norwich backwards or standstill!!

My gut feeling is that he''s a good up and coming manager but this may be a big step too soon. What we needed right now was a big name to sort the squad out and get them playing however just like Adams he will have my support should he take the job.

[quote user="gitto"]Answer honestly? Is Alex Neil better than Neil Lennon as a manager?[/quote]Who knows & time will tell. The one adavantage he''s got over Lennon is that Neil is the Manager of NCFC & thankfully, Lennon isn''t.

My intuition is positive.

I''d never heard of him, however Alex Neil comes across as ego-free and confident in his own ability. To get the best out of others takes a rare and well-developed mix of people skills - and new manager seems to have proved his ability rather well at the tender age of just 33.

Given what we need, I''d say things look really positive!

All positive from me too.

I''d rather him that the likes of Warnock for example, who''d be guaranteed in and out within a year.

This guy seems to have many fans, who are genuinely disappointed to be losing him. That said, all the Accies fans have been great about it, and I''ve not heard one bad word or dig at NCFC. Maybe it may help that he''s leaving a tight nit club like them to a club like ours. Not too big for his boots.

Admittedly its not going to be an instant miracle, but he seems to have Lambert traits about him, which can only be a positive considering where he took us.

Knew nothing of him before yesterday but I think it is a brave and exiting appointment. Nothing is garunteed with managerial appointments and we have taken a gamble on maybe a top manager in the making. Thanks for your views Dav1dson, I hope your form continues for the rest of the season. My gut feeling is we won''t regret this and neither will he.

Big gamble, but aren''t they all. Think he might need time, but glad it''s not one of the usual suspects.

Sounds like a no nonsense battler who may be able to create a team from our talented individuals.

[quote user="Ron Jeremy City fan."]Excited in an eager and wholesome way. Warnock, Lennon, Curbishley etc yadda, yadda. New start, no expectations, let''s unleash him and see what he can do.[/quote]Is that what you said to all your leading ladies, Ron?[:D]

Do people who go on about Howe.......he is a youth team coach who left to go to Burnley only to return to Bournmouth.......he''s failed once with a mid sized club.....he''s good for Bournmouth.

Our own youth coach failed here.....he might be more suited to a club like Bournmouth too.

Look at the example of Jimmy Nicholl at Raith Rovers in the early 90''s, who similar to Alex Neil had an exceptional period as player-manager at a tiny unfancied Scottish club. It''s a fair comparison even if he was a little bit more experienced in the job than Neil when he tried his hand at managing in what''s now the Championship.At Raith he did fantastically well by winning the First Division and League Cup in the 1994/95. The next season they finished quite high up in the Premier League as well as progressing through two rounds of the UEFA Cup before losing 2-0 at home and 2-1 away to Bayern.He nearly joined Norwich at one point but went on to succeed Mick McCarthy at Millwall. The following is lifted directly from wikipedia -"On 28 February

1996, Nicholl was appointed manager of Millwall, who just over two

months earlier had been top of Division One but were now sliding down

the table. He was unable to arrest the decline and Millwall slipped into

Division Two on the last day of the season."
The point is that on paper he looked like a red hot sure-fire bet after having an impressive purple patch. Whether it was the stars aligning, sheer momentum or whatever to give him his success at Raith, he was a disaster in England. He hasn''t repeated his earlier form as a manager since returning to Scotland. I''ve got a nasty feeling that similar to Nicholl at Millwall, Alex Neil''s tenure won''t be a success.

when you look at his playing record and his relatively short stint as (player) manager in a weak league coupled with his young age all footballing logic points to this being doomed to failure and if that logic follows and it is.....then as far as I can see ,this would make David McNally''s job untenable.

But.

My main criticism of the board over the appointment of Adams was that it was the easy option and that despite ling to us over "scouring Europe" ,they just picked the cheapand easy route of someone on their doorstep and hoped it worked.

For the appointment to be so leftfield as Neil it must mean that they have been looking at him and researched him and then headhunted them.

Mcnally and the board are afterall paid to do just this.....so if this works out ,they are to be applauded in doing so.