Sign in to follow this  
OldRobert

Something For Mr Neil to Consider

A New Captain.........................Martin is good in front of the

cameras but rubbish on the field of play.  Doesn''t lead, shout, cajole,

bo**ock, encourage, in fact do anything that a proper leader should do. 

I don''t know whether we''ve got one of those, but if we haven''t, imho, we

should buy one QUICKLY.

I agree, a model pro but not a natural leader on the pitch.

It''s now pretty obvious why Hughton felt the need to name a "first team captain" on top of our "club captain".

OldRobert,

Surely what you mean is, doesn''t lead on the field of play the way you would, as far as you can see and hear. You have no idea what happens in the changing room I presume?

Screaming at people is but one form of leadership, and it''s not always a very effective one either.

Look at the iconic captains of recent years in English football..

Viera, Keane, Vidic, Kompany, Gerrard, Terry, Grant Holt..

All players who are vocal throughout every game, not just "in the dressing room".

We''ve missed a leader on the pitch since Holty left.

We have a number of players that have been captains at their previous clubs and a number that have been captains since being at ours.This is another of those weird ones though. If you go and watch a Sunday League game you''ll notice a fair bit of shouting between players - it''s normally called communicating. You want a leader to ideally be able to lead by example and be a good communicator and organiser.They are not always both. But they have to have strengths in one of those camps if not both.

I''ve seen Martin shout at people, usually when he''s messed up and has a moan at someone!

Great quality for a captain to have, lead by example and shout at others to defend your own misgivings.

[quote user="Ray"]OldRobert,

Surely what you mean is, doesn''t lead on the field of play the way you would, as far as you can see and hear. You have no idea what happens in the changing room I presume?[/quote]What I mean Ray, is lead, period, both on and off the field of play.  I think it would be fair to say that all successful captains past and present do both, although as you rightly say I am not privy to the dressing room.[:)]

the problem is enough leadership on the pitch - which is martins responsibility but is also needed from a midfielder and up front.

all good teams have drive not JUST from the captain, but across the whole squad - we have missed that. Look at the last promotion - drury, holt. martin all leaders, yet only one captain

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]the problem is enough leadership on the pitch - which is martins responsibility but is also needed from a midfielder and up front.

all good teams have drive not JUST from the captain, but across the whole squad - we have missed that. Look at the last promotion - drury, holt. martin all leaders, yet only one captain[/quote]Agree with that ZLF.  I thought Howson was supposed to be captain material but doesn''t appear to say boo to a goose.  I have noticed it said many times on here that we appear rudderless, it does seem that it''s something that our team is missing.

I agree that its something that Alex needs to consider though if I''m honest I''m not sure that we have a natural leader in the first team regulars
Re Russ Martin, I think he''s a great ambassador for the club and a great role model for the kids at the club but captain on the pitch I don''t know and as I''ve said cant think of anyone better at the moment

I don''t think we have anyone of true captain material in the squad. When things are going wrong I don''t see anyone on the pitch rallying the troops. Holty was a great example of a captain and we''ve sorely missed his leadership, I hope this in an area Neil can address during the window, all the other ingredients are there.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I don''t think we have anyone of true captain material in the squad. When things are going wrong I don''t see anyone on the pitch rallying the troops. Holty was a great example of a captain and we''ve sorely missed his leadership, I hope this in an area Neil can address during the window, all the other ingredients are there.[/quote]Nail on head comes to mind Mr Brownstone.  I hope Mr Neil does too.Agree with you CA...........Martin is an excellent ambassador for the club, but imo isn''t a good leader.

Probably best to ask the squad who they think is their best captain, I suggest RM would get most, if not all, votes. IMO he does most of his work off the field as opposed to GH who did most of his work on the field, diiferent strokes for different folks I guess. Not sure where SB fitted in though? Also IMO RM will be a damn fine manager

For me it would be Alex Tettey.

If you watch him off the ball he''s always screaming at players to maintain position, running to give then a high 5 and just generally geeing the team up.

I always like a midfield captain as centre of everything.

yes to a midfield captain, and one that gives 100% commitment (like Alex Neil probably was as a player) and doesn''t have to be the most technically gifted - so Bradley Johnson would be a good possibility imo. He is mouthy enough on the pitch, doesn''t stop working hard

The fact we are struggling to find suitable candidates does show how much we are lacking leadership on the field, from anywhere.

A number of posters here are suggesting Alex Neil should use the window to buy a captain. That''s a new one on me in football. I''ve known it to happen in county cricket but in football, isn''t it always the case that you assemble your team/squad and then appoint the best-suited (I don''t mean dressed) as captain?

Mike Phelan was a tremendous Norwich captain but was certainly not a shouter, nor was Adam Drury. There are different styles of captain

This does not mean I necessarily think Martin is a good captain but just cause he doesn''t shout & wave his arms he''s a bad one

Bit off topic, sorry opening poster but something else for Mr Neil to consider is the right back position because Whittaker just isnt good enough

Poor old Whits! He''s comfortably been our best full back defensively this season. More tackles and interceptions than Olsson. And he''s chipped in 2 goals and an assist bless him...

[quote user="cityangel"]Bit off topic, sorry opening poster but something else for Mr Neil to consider is the right back position because Whittaker just isnt good enough[/quote]I can think of somewhere you''d have ticked me off for going off topic you little monkey you.[;)]

A captain should, in my opinion:

1. Lead by example

2. Know how to get the best out of his team mates

Getting the best out of team mates is the tricky one. Not everyone will react well to a b0llocking, not everyone needs an arm around there shoulder. But the captain needs to recognise who needs what to get them going.