Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

E Bennett for RB? Alex Neil's tactical changes?

Anyone remember him doing a very decent job a couple of seasons ago? I think for me he would make a great first choice Right Back and would have the speed to keep up with tricky wingers. Something S Whittaker has seemed to struggle with in many games this year. I realise this is not his favoured position perhaps but I even think he could even be useful being around the box for second balls after corners and free kicks because he also has a decent shot.

So this is my one request from Alex Neil along with perhaps getting the centre halves sorted. Apart from that I don''t think we are too far away from really getting a better balance. Especially if we really start to defend and attack as a team and get in the oppositions faces, as AN has stated is his simple philosophy.

Any thoughts on Bennett. Do people feel he still has unfinished business with us or will he end up at Brighton with Hughton coming in with a £1m bid for example?

Don''t have a feeling as to which direction things will go but, sonyc, I for one share your sentiments totally. I honestly believe Elliott could be developed into a terrific right back.

not this old chestnut

have perfectly sane friends who bring this up he played a couple of games as backup and was ok nothing more

hell he is only a below average winger as it is

would rather we just bought a new one

I do think he could be made into an excellent RB but there would be a lot of work to be done first and he''d have to want it... Given the choice of stay and retrain for a defensive role or leave and play where he likes I think he''d go.

You may well be right Yellow Shirt. However, if he were my son, I would say to him, "Elliott, a good career can be forged out of becoming a fast, reliable full-back and if Norwich is a club where you like the environment and the people, and you are provided with the opportunity then give it serious consideration."

I think much depends on what the future holds for Redmond with Norwich. Both he and Bennett are best suited to playing out on that right flank. Realistically while Redmond is still at Norwich then Bennett isn''t going to get much on a look in. It just hasn''t quite happened consistently for Bennett since he joined Norwich. He''s had wretched luck with his crucicate injury and sometimes I think he has been guilty of just lacking that self belief that he can be an excellent player. It''s a shame because he''s seems like one of the really good guys of football who has exemplary attitude towards the game. If he can''t dislodge Redmond I think he probably needs to think outwards the box a bit. This either involves a change of scenary or converting to full back. I think personally it''s a position that would suit him incredibly well. It''s not entirely unknown either, Whittaker was converted from a winger back in his days with Hibernian and Bennett poteintially has a lot more about him positionally and defensively than Whittaker does. But ultimately it''s up to the player and how they feel they are best served.

Too much of a risk at this time of the season

Move Martin over and use one of our many central defenders (Bassong ?)

We have 2 good enough right backs in Whittaker and Martin.

Personally I think we are crying out for another winger. Gone through the first half of the season with redmond and the occasional appearance from Murphy/lafferty/grabban when really we need 3 quality ones fighting for the 2 places. I remember how good bennett was pre injury and I just hope he might be able to rediscover that form on the right side for us.

Also believe neil operates with a 4231/4141 according to the hamilton forums, using the width of the pitch with wingers.

Hi, this is my first post, so go gentle please guys. I personally think Elliot Bennett would make a good right wing back and think that we have the players in the squad to play a 5-3-2 system with Olson as the left wing back. This would also allow Martin to continue as more of a central defender with any 2 of our myriad of centre halves partnering. It also allows for two strikers, which seems to work better for our players, and the likes of Howson to break from midfield. We''ve tried it a couple of times this season but more often than not out of desperation rather than design.