Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Away games left

Looking at the fixtures, there''s a trend of sorts in that we''ve played all out "hard" away games.

We have played all the top 5 at their grounds, taking 10 points in the process and have just Watford to go to out of the top 9 teams. All that is left is for most of them to come to FCR where we have hopefully recovered since our early season blip.

Is it easier to have tougher opponents at home and easier opponents away or vice versa?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"] Is it easier to have tougher opponents at home and easier opponents away or vice versa? [/quote]

I really believe our away form will become key!

I worry at home with the onus on us to make a game of it, we could be very suspect to good breaking teams such as Derby and Boro. Hope i''m wrong though...

The bottom line is that, unless Bournemouth and Ipswich''s defeats on Saturday turn out to be the start of a slippery slope for them, we''ll need to win a very big proportion of ALL our games , both home and away if we are to challenge for one of the top 2 places.But, yes, on the face of it ,several of our remaining away fixtures, eg Rotherham, Millwall, Brighton, Huddersfield, Charlton and Blackburn should be eminently winnable for a team with promotion aspirations.

At home, I actually believe we have more chance of beating the ''top'' teams. They will have a certain onus to attack us as will also want the 3 pints. It seems this season that those teams who came to park the bus are the ones we struggle more against.

Away from home, we may have easier games on paper ... But as someone mentioned earlier you never know! We have beaten Bournemouth, Brentford, Ipswich away and drawn with Derby. Not bad. However, we have lost away at Reading, Fulham and Preston (FA cup) so it doesn''t necessarily work that way.

Having said that, I would be optimistic after Saturday that we can will 6 of our last 10 away, but it might need even more than that for automatic promo!

There is no excuse of losing the away games to lower teams, as there wasn''t for the Reading performance. If Alex is to really make a difference he is going to have to lift the players to get performances out of them away, a sad fact but that''s the way it is. It will be interesting but from his very short tenure so far he seems to have pretty good motivational skills.