Sign in to follow this  
Newton

Is McNally admiting we got our transfer policy wrong in the summer ?

Direct quote taken from Pinkun front page today

McNally quoted as saying:-

January you are looking to bring in players to have an impact on the first XI, not just the squad, so obviously Alex may have a different view to the one previously held.

Are the board now admitting that giving Adams £17K to fritter away on mainly bench warmers was another negative aspect of his disasterous 6 months in charge ?

The Board (or someone ) has a lot to answer for - what a waste of our money ?

You do realise that in the summer we were buying players for the season and in January we are buying players for half a season. It''s not that difficult to realise that the players you bring in during the January window have to make an immediate impact. I mean you''d look pretty foolish if you couldn''t work that out.

Are you actually that obtuse Newton? No, wait, don''t answer that.

TCCANARY wrote the following post at 13/01/2015 10:11 AM:

You do realise that in the summer we were buying players for the season and in January we are buying players for half a season. It''s not that difficult to realise that the players you bring in during the January window have to make an immediate impact. I mean you''d look pretty foolish if you couldn''t work that out.

Oh I see what u mean TCC - its fine to waste £15M on bench warmers & squad players in the summer but not in Jan

Got it

NB Jerone £2M needs to be excluded from this figure so the money wasted is only just over £15M - sounds a lot better now

Things change.
There are times when a club needs to build up its squad, for instance after a relegation where departures are likely and loans come to an end. 
Then there are times when the first 11 need to be improved, for instance when fine tuning in January where one or two impact buys might provide the boost needed for a promotion push. 

[quote user="Newton"]

TCCANARY wrote the following post at 13/01/2015 10:11 AM:

Oh I see what u mean TCC - its fine to waste £15M on bench warmers & squad players in the summer but not in Jan

Got it

NB Jerone £2M needs to be excluded from this figure so the money wasted is only just over £15M - sounds a lot better now

[/quote]

I sure that if we''d have had a run of injuries in September you''d be the first to criticise the depth and quality of the squad, you''d have to be pretty stupid to not realise that teams need cover for such circumstances.

TC who else spend anywhere near £15M on bench warmers & squad players

Let me tell u NO ONE

If we had a run of injuries as u mentioned - there is the loan market open to us, there was no need for Adams to go out & expand the squad with players he did not intend to use

Utterly ridculouse

[quote user="Newton"]

TC who else spend anywhere near £15M on bench warmers & squad players

Let me tell u NO ONE

If we had a run of injuries as u mentioned - there is the loan market open to us, there was no need for Adams to go out & expand the squad with players he did not intend to use

Utterly ridculouse

[/quote]

Yes, loan players are the answer. Or are they a waste of money because they don''t really want to fight for the cause.

I''m also interested in you ability to know what Neil Adams was thinking, you must''ve made a killing at the bookies when he resigned.

TC If Loan players a waste of money why did the club sanction spending £3.5M on loan fees in the summer - when the players concerned have not even played 10 games between them ?

Is that not a waste of money

[quote user="Newton"]

TC If Loan players a waste of money why did the club sanction spending £3.5M on loan fees in the summer - when the players concerned have not even played 10 games between them ?

Is that not a waste of money

[/quote]

Not a lot of money, we can afford £3.5M on some loans, in todays market £3.5M is nothing.

I personally don''t think our transfers have been that bad - there''s a mixture of first teamers and squad players in there as would always be the case: for example you don''t buy 3 strikers expecting to play them week in week out when you have Hooper here already, but you need guys who can come in.