Sign in to follow this  
Ray

NCFC 67 - 65 A.F.C. Bournemouth

We go away to the league leaders, we go one nil down, we equalise, we have a player sent off, harshly, we then score a cracker and then defend very well until the final whistle, on top of all that we had had a management upheaval during the week and our new manager had only been appointed 24 hours previously, yet for some reason Paddy Davitt of the Pink Un could only see our total palyer rating score as 2 higher than Bournemouth''s, what on earth do our team have to do to get some positivity and recognition?

Sometimes Paddy, I despair, I wonder how the players feel about your ratings? They are of course your opinion, as this post is mine..

I don''t normally pay much attention to his ratings as to be honest they are pretty meaningless in the scheme of things. I must admit though that I did notice how the low ratings were and hardly reflected a real backs to the wall battling display. Maybe he doesn''t know what he''s talking about 
Ryan Bennett getting marked as 4 out of 10 when he was only on the pitch for 8 minutes was very odd. 

I''ve not looked at the individual ratings, but it was a very close game between two evenly matched teams so having a close overall rating score is probably as to be expected.

It''s the same in the Daily Mail, where there is a great write up about our game, yet they give the Performance of the weekend to Derby!! What''s that all about?

Going down to 10 men, away at the League leaders, and then take the lead, and win the match, ending a long unbeaten League run, over a tight victory over the team directly above you?

Opinions hey?

Matt,

Yes it was a close game, but we were the away team, they were the form team and top of the league, we went down to 10 men and came away with a ''famous'' victory, surely those points alone mean our players outperformed theirs by more than 0.182 points per player, I would suggest our team deserved to be scored at least 10% higher, therefore taking the Bournemouth score at 65, ours would be 71.5, an average per player of only 6.5 against 5.91 (starting 11 only used)

Whether they all got 10/10 or 1/10. Does a journalist ratings really matter that much? No.

Score was 1-2. Norwich took 3 points. That''s the only thing that matters.

Score them in your own mind. Keep yourself happy

Alartz, in answer to your question, yes journalist''s scores do matter, especially to those being rated.

They will immediately have an opinon about them, which creates emotions, Let''s hope they are all sufficiently versed in mindset management to ensure they are able to use these emotions positively. That''s my underlying point.

I can see your logic Ray and if Ryan Bennett only received a 4 then that does seem odd seeing as he did nothing wrong in his 7 minutes on the pitch. Are the ratings online, or just in the printed EDP?

Matt,

I''ve seen them in the EDP

Ruddy 6

Whitts 5

Martin 6

Turner 6

Ollson 6

Redmond 6

Tettey 6

Howson 5

Johnson 6

Jerome 8

Hooper 7

Subs

RB 4

O;Neil 5

Lafferty 5

[quote user="Ray"]Alartz, in answer to your question, yes journalist''s scores do matter, especially to those being rated.

They will immediately have an opinon about them, which creates emotions, Let''s hope they are all sufficiently versed in mindset management to ensure they are able to use these emotions positively. That''s my underlying point.[/quote]

Surely players are not so sensitive as to what are no more than subjective opinions?   I thought you had to be pretty thick skinned to make it into the professional game?   If players are that sensitive, maybe they shouldn''t be professional players.

More telling would be stats.......but then they are open to interpretation too. 

LDC,

You can be as thick skinned as you like but all of our lives (including pro footballers) are run by emotions and unfortunately this has manifested itself on numerous ocassions in the professional game, sadly including suicides. Bottom line is pro footballers are no different to anyone else and why should they be, they''re human too. Just as any workplace can be affected by thi sort of thing, so can a football club.

You say that LDC but do I remember a post on this board many moons ago about the Ginger Pele stopping off at the petrol station at Martineau Lane to have a peek at the players ratings in the EDP and bursting into tears when he saw how low he had been arted, or did I just make that up?.........

Agree they do seem harsh, should certainly be more 7s than 6s in my mind. I also thought Lafferty came on and caused them a fair bit of trouble, just causing a nuisance of himself and keeping the ball a long way from our goal.

Well I''m guessing he was just basing his opinion on the match alone, not the previous week we''d had...

Also by some of your logic, Charlton players should have rated higher than ours when they beat us at Carrow Road, yet we battered them for 90 minutes and it was a smash and grab.

Think the ratings are fairly accurate in my opinion

[quote user="Ray"]LDC,

You can be as thick skinned as you like but all of our lives (including pro footballers) are run by emotions and unfortunately this has manifested itself on numerous ocassions in the professional game, sadly including suicides. Bottom line is pro footballers are no different to anyone else and why should they be, they''re human too. Just as any workplace can be affected by thi sort of thing, so can a football club.[/quote]

Well aware of all that, but really?   Ratings from a journalist taken seriously?   All player need to do if they are that sensitive is look on a board like this - then they might get depressed.   After all most of us are real supporters, unlike journalists who although may be supporters, but are actually just doing a job.

LDC,

Sometimes the las thing they ned tpo do is look on here!

Ricardo,

The whole point is the players do, see all previous posts on this thread, I would love it if it meant Jack Sh*t to them, but it doesn''t (IMO).

Best player on the pitch was Matt Richie of Bournemouth IMO this put them ahead on individual player rating. the only thing that matters is the team not individuals. as a team we were more effective but as individual I thought they had the better players on the day.

Best manager I ever worked for was fond of the saying "a team is greater than the sum of it''s parts", our team won and that all that matters.

[quote user="Ray"]LDC,

You can be as thick skinned as you like but all of our lives (including pro footballers) are run by emotions and unfortunately this has manifested itself on numerous ocassions in the professional game, sadly including suicides. Bottom line is pro footballers are no different to anyone else and why should they be, they''re human too. Just as any workplace can be affected by thi sort of thing, so can a football club.[/quote]

Ray, a few years ago I was lucky enough to be invited to the classroom at Colney and saw some of the prozone stats from the previous game. I was told the players can''t wait to get in there and find out their own stats on a Monday. I''m sure we''d be the same. And given these stats are the real measurement of their performances I doubt they''d care what marks they may get from the uninformed onlooker whether that be nutty nigel or paddy dimwitt. [;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Ray"]LDC,

Ray, a few years ago I was lucky enough to be invited to the classroom at Colney and saw some of the prozone stats from the previous game. I was told the players can''t wait to get in there and find out their own stats on a Monday. I''m sure we''d be the same. And given these stats are the real measurement of their performances I doubt they''d care what marks they may get from the uninformed onlooker whether that be nutty nigel or paddy dimwitt. [;)] [/quote]

I hope they don''t take the stats too seriously either.  Bare stats can

be just as misleading as subjective ratings.   The essence is slowly

being taken out of nearly every sport by the dratted ipad and clinical data that ultimately destroys creativity and spontaneity. 

Nutty,

They do care and that is the point I am making. They care just as much about what appears in the media (especially one that is apparently one of their greatest supporters) as they do about being booed off the pitch by their own fans.

They can avoid the media to a certain extent, and you often hear players saying they avoid reading newspapers as much as possible, but to do so altogether is nigh on impossible.

If you were to walk passed a newspaper laying on a table and saw your picture or mention of your name or the company you worked for, could you ignore it totally? There are very few who could and once you have read the story it is in your brain, it will create emotions and feelings of some sort, it will effect the rest of your life in some small way, positively or negatively - it''s what the human brain does.

Interestingly the scores on the doors on the interactive ''Rate The Players'' poll are as follows, Total Starting 11 scores = 70.8, so a team increase of 4.8 (0.44 of a point/player) higher than Paddy Davitt gave them. This poll so far represents the opinion of 325 people.

[quote user="Ray"]Alartz, in answer to your question, yes journalist''s scores do matter, especially to those being rated.

They will immediately have an opinon about them, which creates emotions, Let''s hope they are all sufficiently versed in mindset management to ensure they are able to use these emotions positively. That''s my underlying point.[/quote]

Ray, I''m willing to bet a years wages on the fact I bet the players don''t give a flying fudge about journalists ratings, and more importantly they have no impact whatsoever on there mindset.

The only person who is getting affected by Paddys ratings seems to be you. There completely meaningless and no amount of deliberation will change my opinion on that.

I guarantee the players don''t give a stuff.

[quote user="Ray"]Nutty,

They do care and that is the point I am making. They care just as much about what appears in the media (especially one that is apparently one of their greatest supporters) as they do about being booed off the pitch by their own fans.

They can avoid the media to a certain extent, and you often hear players saying they avoid reading newspapers as much as possible, but to do so altogether is nigh on impossible.

If you were to walk passed a newspaper laying on a table and saw your picture or mention of your name or the company you worked for, could you ignore it totally? There are very few who could and once you have read the story it is in your brain, it will create emotions and feelings of some sort, it will effect the rest of your life in some small way, positively or negatively - it''s what the human brain does.

Interestingly the scores on the doors on the interactive ''Rate The Players'' poll are as follows, Total Starting 11 scores = 70.8, so a team increase of 4.8 (0.44 of a point/player) higher than Paddy Davitt gave them. This poll so far represents the opinion of 325 people.[/quote]From experience, if it was the informed view of someone in the same profession, then yes. Otherwise, and this is what we are talking about here, not at all.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

Best manager I ever worked for was fond of the saying "a team is greater than the sum of it''s parts", our team won and that all that matters.

[/quote]

I bet he couldn''t add up either.

Matt & Purple,

I can only bring my experience and knowledge to what I am saying and maybe I am not making my point clear enough, but I wouldn''t want to take your money Matt, well I would but I won''t, so I guess I don''t.

It appears we are not going to agree, so I''ll leave it there for now.

OTBC and here''s to 3 more points this Saturday.

I''m pretty sure on their £20,000 per week wage.

The first thing on their minds come Monday morning isn''t to buy an EDP to see whether they scored a 6 or 7 in the match.

Alartz,

I''m pretty sure you''re right, has someone suggested they did?.

Anyway, I refer you to my previous post on the subject.