Sign in to follow this  
daly

Dejected lambert

What a difference a year makes, Villa fans calling for Mr Lamberts head. He looked like he had the worlds problems on his shoulders on MOTD

Still theirs always Colchester  or Peterborough

Wouldn''t it be ironic if the final nail in the coffin for Mr. Lambert is that they get to play us in the opener next season at  Villa Park, and we pound them 7-1. Of course, if they lose Benteke it will be 7-0.

Truthfully, I hope things turn around for him and he continues to have a good career.

"Truthfully, I hope things turn around for him and he continues to have a good career"

I don''t.

Apart from the schadenfreude, it would also make AN less likely to leave when the inevitable tapping up starts after he gets us to the top of the Premier League.

Nope, me neither. Never go back.

He wouldn''t anyway which renders the argument from Waveney and his numerous alter-egos redundant and final.

I think he might consider returning if the conditions were right and big Mac wasn''t part of the set up anymore.I''d say no at this point in time. He''s tread water ok with Villa, but he hasn''t exactly galvanized them.

......along similar lines, anyone see Leroy Fer embroiled in the argument with QPR fans at Turf Moor yesterday?.after his "QPR are better than Norwich" comments....lets hope the second half of his season is every bit and more miserable than the first and we pass them on their way down....

chicken wrote the following post at 11/01/2015 10:25 PM:

I think he might consider returning if the conditions were right and big Mac wasn''t part of the set up anymore.

Hi Chicken I think u will find all McNally was doing was conveying the boards decision (Delias instructions) that he could not have £10M to spend on players in the coming transfer window

A very fool hardy decision by the board as it panned out

They called Lamberts bluff & failed - Lambert told them to stuff the club (thanks Delia good one)

did we have the money to give him to spend that summer??......when Hughton replaced him ,his instructions were to avoid relegation in his first season in order for the club to receive the hugely increased record tv/premiership money that would follow the following summer.

had Lambert had the bottle to stay and keep us in the league for a season longer....just as Hughton did , then he would have had the £25m to spend that Hughton did.......who knows whether he would have spent it more or less wisely??

I honestly don''t take any enjoyment out of seeing Lambert struggle at Villa. On a personal level I think the Villa job has been disastorous for him. Lambert came to prominance by playing fearless, attacking football and developing relatively unheralded players. It''s sad to see that he has now almost entirely compromised his principles and basically no longer does any of those things. He''s resorted to signing predictable washed up players such as Senderos and Cole. His sides now rely on the tactic of keeping it tight at the back and knicking a game 1-0. The dynamism and imagination he once showed have seemingly disappeared and he''s indistinguishable from another ordinary run of the mill Premier League manager. I didn''t (and still don''t) have a problem with Lambert leaving us - we knew what we were getting ourselves in for with the Colchester saga. Given what he achieved here, he had earned the right to leave as and when he wanted. However, I did think at the time he was selling himself short by taking the Villa job. I would have rated Lambert and Rodgers on a similar level at the end of the 2011/12 season. Whilst Rodgers stock has fallen recently, it''s amazing how their careers have gone on totally different trajectories since that season. From a supporters point of the view the most sad thing of all is that neither Norwich or Lambert have really been better off since he left. However, we do need to look forward. Unfortunately, Lambert will never manage Norwich again and we need to hope that Alex Neil can emulate Lambert''s successes. I think he''s made of the right stuff to do it.

But Cambridge, it was Lambert''s decision to go, and to Villa at that.

I was never going to think that Lambert was going to stay with us (a la a Sir Alex Ferguson), but it was the manner in which he left, that makes me have a little glow inside, at his plight.

Some would say that his principles of attacking football, were allowed to be, with us, in the Divisions, we were in, after all there certainly was an element of ''nothing to lose'', yet now, in the Prem with Villa, the need to stay in that Div are obvious, and he is being found out, through financial restrictions, and tactical ineptitude perhaps? 

I think deep inside he knows he should never have left City! He was doing great had the fans on his side, enjoyed coaching at Colney,etc...etc... I don''t bear a grudge and he''s a City Legend,

[quote user="Cambridge Yellow"]I didn''t (and still don''t) have a problem with Lambert leaving us - we knew what we were getting ourselves in for with the Colchester saga.[/quote]Absolutely correct, Cambs. I''m afraid nothing is forever in football these days . Even with the big clubs, people like SAF and Wenger are very very rare. Look at all the managers Chelsea, Spurs, Real Madrid and the Milan clubs have had over the recent years. Even Barcelona are now like that. We have to realise that for clubs of Norwich''s size managers are either failures and get the boot ,or are successful and move on to bigger things. If Lambert had been a success at Villa, presumably he''d now be managing Man U, Liverpool or even Everton or Newcastle ? Even a manager who merely keeps a smaller club treading water but making money by selling youngsters on (eg what Dario Gradi did at Crewe for all those years) are unheard of nowadays.What are the odds of Alex Neil still being at Norwich in 3 years time. ? Virtually nil. Either he''ll have  failed to get us back in the Prem, and will have gone the same way as Hughton, Adams, Roeder etc, or we''ll be back safely in the Prem, and he''ll have been tapped up by a big club. It''s all very transient nowadays.

Why be nasty and vindictive to Lambert. He dragged city from the edge of oblivion and took them to the Premiership. My mate who is a die hard Villa fan was amazed when Lambert went to Villa stating ''why the F*** has he gone there. They are my club but its a graveyard for managers all he will do is tarnish his reputation'' and that from a Villa. So why don''t some of the sad people on here stop having a go at Lambert and remember what he and the club achieved.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]"Truthfully, I hope things turn around for him and he continues to have a good career"

I don''t.

Apart from the schadenfreude, it would also make AN less likely to leave when the inevitable tapping up starts after he gets us to the top of the Premier League.[/quote]

I cannot believe you are slagging off Lambert when you don''t know the full story behind him leaving and the things he did for City

Villa''s next 4 games - (H) Liverpool(H) Bournemouth(A) Arsenal(H) ChelseaThen a number of games against other bottom clubs. With the transfer window open right now who is out there to take over and fight a relegation battle.

I was just reading the Villa message board. One comment that gave me a chuckle was, "Did you see numb nuts in that post match interview? I''m just relieved he didn''t say ''We go again'' because that would have meant the end of my telly." 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

I was just reading the Villa message board. One comment that gave me a chuckle was, "Did you see numb nuts in that post match interview? I''m just relieved he didn''t say ''We go again'' because that would have meant the end of my telly." 

[/quote]

One saving feature, however - "the massive fan base".

I''m with Rob Fleck on this one. When the "rush of blood" had drained from PL, I suspect his thoughts turned to what he had and what he gave up. He had the makings of becoming a latter day "Brian Clough" for us and threw it all away. All for the lure of a supposed big club - maybe it was, but not any more. We all make mistakes (ask my wife!) but I prefer not to gloat about it - it doesn''t help our cause, and |I would liker to think Norwich are bigger than that

I can''t believe you lot on here. Do any of you know exactly what happened and the full details of his departure? He did a great job for Norwich. You can''t judge a man till you walk a mile in his shoes. Don''t believe all you read. Things are never what they appear to be.

Wouldn''t have him back, thanks for the memories Paul and I''ll always clap when you return to CR but he left because we wouldn''t spend our way into trouble again as we needed to pay off the debt.

The starts aligned for him while here, he''s as decent manager despite the constraints he has to work under at Villa but he wouldn''t be able to repeat the success he had here. We haven''t got a Holt and/or Hoolahan in the form of their lives to win us games even when we get the tactics wrong or some of our others players have a stinker.

I''m sure if we somehow appointed Lambert instead of Adams in the summer our season wouldn''t have turned out too much differently as Adams definitely tried to mould himself after Lambert in his beliefs, way of organising the team and unwavering defence of his players.

Adams was unlucky to have a bit of an egotistical group who stopped playing for him so his public defending of them became ridiculous, Lambert had time to build a team that would run through walls for him, he wouldn''t have had that this year and we''d all have a very different opinion of him now imo

Ultimately the split has resulted in both Norwich, and Lambert, losing.

who knows what might have happened. I certainly think both parties would be in better places had the split not happened when it did.

Lambert should have stayed at least one more season. Had he done that and stayed up again, he''d have got a bigger gig than Villa, and if we''d gone down, he''d have kept his job.