Sign in to follow this  
Newton

Is McNally admiting we got our transfer policy wrong in the summer ?

[quote user="Newton"]

Rich T the gross figure of over £17M (inc loand fees of £3.5M) was I belive stated at the AGM

Purple Canary a regular poster on here and recognised as a fountain of all factual knowledge has confirmed these figs on previous threads

I am not making them up ?

Do u think - other than Jerone - this level of spend should have improved the quality of our regular starting line up ?

Many on here do not - I do ?

Adams has created a squad which is much larger than we actually need and some of the more expensive purchases will get restless with no game time and the loanee central defenders are earning a nice wage packet for doing very little

You have to ask why - there is a loan market at this level which Adams chose to ignore ?

[/quote]

I think most of us agree with you that the level of spend has improved the first team, you must be a fan of the great business guru who like you believed that improving from the bottom up is a proven science, I bet you''ve read ''Trickle Down, Flood Up'' by Issy Madeup.

TCCANARY wrote the following post at 13/01/2015 1:31 PM

I think most of us agree with you that the level of spend has improved the first team, you must be a fan of the great business guru who like you believed that improving from the bottom up is a proven science, I bet you''ve read ''Trickle Down, Flood Up'' by Issy Madeup

TCC Your reading / comprehension remains as poor as your financial awareness skills

I feel much of the £15M was wasted in the summer, we have a much bigger squad than we need and no I dont feel £15M is an insignificant amount of our money to spend on squad players - even tho u do ?

[quote user="Newton"]

I think most of us agree with you that the level of spend has improved the first team, you must be a fan of the great business guru who like you believed that improving from the bottom up is a proven science, I bet you''ve read ''Trickle Down, Flood Up'' by Issy Madeup

TCC Your reading / comprehension remains as poor as your financial awareness skills

I feel much of the £15M was wasted in the summer, we have a much bigger squad than we need and no I dont feel £15M is an insignificant amount of our money to spend on squad players - even tho u do ?

[/quote]

I agree entirely, £15M is an insignificant sum, you also have to remember that if you don''t spend it then it could go to the tax man and lets face it, it would be better spent on ensuring that we don''t have an injury crisis than being wasted by the government.

The sum spent during the summer has meant that we have been able to whether the injury to Ryan Bennett and rotate our centre backs keeping them fresh for remainder of games this season, this is when the other clubs who haven''t spent will struggle. I think you''ll find that all of this makes perfect sense and you''ll have to agree that without this planning during the summer we would be in trouble. Now the new manager has a superb base on which to build and we all know that good houses are built on proper foundations.

[quote user="Newton"]

[/quote]Of the players we bought in the summer Miquel, Thompson and McGrandles were plainly acquired with an eye on the future, while Odjidja-Ofoe has been out injured.Of the other six they have racked up a total of 89 league appearances, which works out at an average of 15 each, when we have only played 25 league games.Far from being unused or barely used, all six have played a respectable part so far and two of them (Grabban and Jerome) have been close to ever-presents in the match-day squads while Lafferty and O''Neil have been selected more often than not.

Some can''t see past one season Purple. Your point is bang on the money, when you see just what there is coming through in the next few years I can''t agree that any of the 15 million has been a waste!

Laffs is the only player who has not really made a huge impact, yet his first few games he looked superb.

Squad game and a club like ours needs to sign youngsters for develpment.

Newton you really need to look at the big picture....its not like the board said heres 15 million off you go shopping!

There were a lot of people and reports on players before money was transfered.......one last question to you Newton.....which of our players would you not have signed in the summer as they all merited being bought at the time!

[quote user="Canary Island"]McNally is a total fool and as soon as leaves the club the better[/quote]

If you look to your right you''ll see that there''s someone wearing an "I''m with Stupid" t-shirt.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Newton"]

[/quote]Of the players we bought in the summer Miquel, Thompson and McGrandles were plainly acquired with an eye on the future, while Odjidja-Ofoe has been out injured.Of the other six they have racked up a total of 89 league appearances, which works out at an average of 15 each, when we have only played 25 league games.Far from being unused or barely used, all six have played a respectable part so far and two of them (Grabban and Jerome) have been close to ever-presents in the match-day squads while Lafferty and O''Neil have been selected more often than not.[/quote]As these facts won''t back up Newton you''ll be back on the naughty step.Mention of Cuellar as well. He was fast becoming a regular in the team, and very good as well.

As we all know Purple & Herman can make figs mean anything (they should be in the House of Commons they talk cr@p there as well)

You cannot measure the success of these buys against appearances as many of those were cameo appearances at the end of games

Lets have another look on where the £17M went :-.

Successful

Jerone - Bargin

Grabbam - Useful back up

O''Neil - good back up

Waste of Money

Laferty - waste of money - not needed

Voo - Injured when we brought him & injured now ?

Miquel - not one for the future 21 now - this is future , absolute flop

McGrandles - well off the pace from what I have seen - light years behind Mcgee needs to go on loan to L1 club - waste of money

2 xPrem Loan C/Halves - lucky to have played 10 games between them, waste of money if we going to stick with Martin at CH as they both behind Bennett, Turner & Martin

Jury Out

Thompson - still on loan at swindon

Have I missed anyone out - How can anyone say that is £17M well spent, only those with rose tinted glasses

Out of the ten we have;5 first team regulars/squad players. Jerome, Cuellar, O''Neil, Grabban and Lafferty.3 U21/developement/future players. Miquel, McGrandles and Thompson1 injured. Jury still out. May come good, may flop.1 loan. Not getting a game. Send back.So in my opinion only 1 is a genuine flop.

Yep 1 flop, luckily its only a loan. I would''ve liked to have also have got someone better than lafferty for left midfield, but on the other hand he is a breath of fresh air as an impact sub with how direct he is.

Newton you must be a better coach & scout then anyone at the club......why not send in your CV.

You can decide these players are flops from 6 months of a season. Well I bow to your judgement.

I was under the opinion an under 21 Spanish international defender playing at Arsenal would consider himself a success......if it doesn''t work out here tgen I''m sure he''ll be playing at a higher level you or I coukd dream off.

Sometimes people just moan for the sake of it and expect to sign Huckerby or Holt everytime!

Herman wrote the following post at 13/01/2015 6:38 PM:

Out of the ten we have;

5 first team regulars/squad players. Jerome, Cuellar, O''Neil, Grabban and Lafferty.

3 U21/developement/future players. Miquel, McGrandles and Thompson

Herman u like stretching the truth

Out of the 5 you mention 1 is a first team regular, Oneil is played on a rotational basis, Grabbam is a regular sub, the other 2 dont even make the subs bench some weeks

Out of the 3 x U21''s - Miquel is now 21 and has failed to impress, Mc Grandles is seriously out of his depth & Thompson is on loan at swindon

How u can justify these signings as good value mystifies me

I can only repeat my previous view in that for a gross outlay of over £17M yes £17M I would have expected more than 1 regular starter

Adams wasted the money on squad players we did not need

Before Adams shew his hand and proved himself to be nothing more than a ''442, play nothing but our game, up at at ''em'' tactically inept manager like Redknapp I''d have happily trusted him to spend that money wisely. I supported Adams'' appointment because I wrongly believed he was an intelligent, forward thinking, pragmatic manager who would be able to motivate these players. I was wrong, some of the smartest, most level headed posters on here were wrong and the board were wrong.

If we hadn''t have backed Adams like we did in the summer the board would have gotten slaughtered, I can accept many criticisms of our board but FFS when they''ve got any money they back the manager! I bet for example Leeds fans would fu(king love to be able to say their boards backs their manager.

They made a mistake with Adams, a lot of us did. Every board makes mistakes. We have to back Alex Neil with every penny we have though, just like we would have done with Adams. It gives them nothing to hide behind. If we gave Adams nothing our performance would have been blamed on the boards supposed cheapness.

In this instance though I have no worries what so ever. Alex Neil spent the square route of fu(k all at Hamilton, relying on youth development and free transfers and he did the equivalent of say taking this years Blackpool up to the Prem and got them competing at the top. I trust that, if nothing else Neil has an excellent eye for a player.

We got nothing wrong in the summer except for our assessment of NA and giving Neil the rest of our funds to play with wouldn''t be a mistake no matter how it turns out. Our failed signings in summer we''re Adams'' fault and if our January signings fail it will be Neil''s fault

[quote user="Newton"]Herman wrote the following post at 13/01/2015 6:38 PM:

Out of the ten we have;

5 first team regulars/squad players. Jerome, Cuellar, O''Neil, Grabban and Lafferty.

3 U21/developement/future players. Miquel, McGrandles and Thompson

Herman u like stretching the truth

Out of the 5 you mention 1 is a first team regular, Oneil is played on a rotational basis, Grabbam is a regular sub, the other 2 dont even make the subs bench some weeks

Out of the 3 x U21''s - Miquel is now 21 and has failed to impress, Mc Grandles is seriously out of his depth & Thompson is on loan at swindon

How u can justify these signings as good value mystifies me

I can only repeat my previous view in that for a gross outlay of over £17M yes £17M I would have expected more than 1 regular starter

Adams wasted the money on squad players we did not need[/quote]

As I asked before please can we have a breakdown of the set in stone £17 million you quote.

"Adams wasted the money on squad players we did not need" Newton.That is your opinion, and what I think of your opinion is for you to guess.

Year of the Tiger -

Purple has confirmed spend from AGM

£14M on transfer fees & £3.5M loan fees

I understand board did not give a breakdown sorry

Thats left up to speculation on this board

I''ll apologise if that is the case but I certainly cannot remember them stating those figures & it also is somewhat confusing that we should pay £3.5 million on loan fees when we only have Hoiiveld on loan.

IF we paid that much for one centre back who is out of contract at the end of the season it would be bizarre.

[quote user="Newton"]Year of the Tiger -

Purple has confirmed spend from AGM

£14M on transfer fees & £3.5M loan fees.

I understand
board did not give a breakdown sorry

Thats left up to speculation on this board[/quote]It is truly a gift to be able to get some many things wrong in only 12 words, especially in the wake of more than one very clear explanation of the facts. My figures are from the annual accounts rather than the AGM, the basic figure on transfers in is £13.6m and not £14m, and the extra £3.5m is for possible payments relating to appearances, promotion etc and not a figure for loan fees.

Purple please get your facts right next time - TIL 1010 thinks its fine that we only wasted the majority of £13.5M in the summer on transfer fees and the other £3.5M on player related costs

Your comments change like the weather

Total costs £17.1M still

Every bench warmer signed an absolute bargain, particularly those that don''t even make the match day squad

How foolish of me to think for for £17.1M gross we might have acquired more than 1 x regular starter

The last thing you had better hope for Nerwton is promotion as you will be looking like a prize plonker if that happens and also maybe you could point out where I have stated it is fine to waste 13 million as you put it. The trouble with people like you Newton who have an agenda is that they see only what they want to see and if facts get in the way poetic licence is used to twist words to suit their campaign.

Have I missed something here?

Do all these millions include or exclude the money that has come in or is due to come in for players sold, ie Snodgrass, Fer, Pilks and of course the fee for loaning our RVW?

Rich T gross spend £17.1M  (does not include fees for players sold - (probably a simiilar amount)

TIL 1010 wrote the following post at 14/01/2015 9:52 AM:

The last thing you had better hope for Nerwton is promotion as you will be looking like a prize plonker if that happens and also maybe you could point out where I have stated it is fine to waste 13 million as you put it. The trouble with people like you Newton who have an agenda is that they see only what they want to see and if facts get in the way poetic licence is used to twist words to suit their campaign.

Well done TIL more garbage from you no views no facts just splurge

Course I want us to go up - should never have been relegated last season

I made a genuine point that I did not accept that a gross spend of £17.1M in summer on players when only 1 was a regular starter (Jerone) was particurlary good value (poor actually)

I have read all the comments on here some expressing a view that the squad has been improved and that it is a squad game over the season, which I accept to some degree but I am still dissappointed that Adams managed to only play 1 of his new signings on a regular basis.

I do not think it was £17.1M well spent - do u, but then I forgot u have no opinion just comment on others