Sign in to follow this  
Newton

Is McNally admiting we got our transfer policy wrong in the summer ?

Direct quote taken from Pinkun front page today

McNally quoted as saying:-

January you are looking to bring in players to have an impact on the first XI, not just the squad, so obviously Alex may have a different view to the one previously held.

Are the board now admitting that giving Adams £17M to fritter away on mainly bench warmers was another negative aspect of his disasterous 6 months in charge ?

The Board (or someone ) has a lot to answer for - what a waste of our money ?

TCC  u obviously agree with the policy of having a bench that cost more to assemble (each game) than the total cost of each team we play

Done us a lot of good todate hasent it ?

Purple has confirmed on many occ that our total gross spending in the summer amounted to just over £17M (look back through the thread Miggins)

This is the total outlay on Transfer & Loan Fees

When are you getting round to blaming Delia for our transfer policy then Newton or are you saving that for another thread ? [:P]

[quote user="Newton"]

Direct quote taken from Pinkun front page today

McNally quoted as saying:-

January you are looking to bring in players to have an impact on the first XI, not just the squad, so obviously Alex may have a different view to the one previously held.

Are the board now admitting that giving Adams £17M to fritter away on mainly bench warmers was another negative aspect of his disasterous 6 months in charge ?

The Board (or someone ) has a lot to answer for - what a waste of our money ?

[/quote]Dear me. I used to believe that for every drop of rain that fell a flower grew, but having seen this quote from McNally I am now not so sure that is true.[W]

That remark may also refer to the policy of buying for the future, Mcgrandles, Thompson & to a lesser extent Miquel. The other point to be remembered that as a rookie manager Adams will have relied heavily on the chief scout for recommendations, after all do you really think NA came into the job thinking I must go after that lad in Belgium I''ve

''always wanted to sign

Good post tiger. Some forget that we have to build a squad. Not just for this season, but for the next two or three. Long term investments.

[quote user="Newton"]

TCC  u obviously agree with the policy of having a bench that cost more to assemble (each game) than the total cost of each team we play

Done us a lot of good todate hasent it ?

[/quote]

Yes, you''re correct, competition is important. Have you realised that you''ve started to argue against yourself?

We already had a squad - lost what 5 ?

Then gave Adams £15M to spend on players who were worse than who we already had (otherwise they would be starting)

You lot call that value - get real ?

[quote user="Newton"]

We already had a squad - lost what 5 ?

Then gave Adams £15M to spend on players who were worse than who we already had (otherwise they would be starting)

You lot call that value - get real ?

[/quote]

Yes, but the current squad have to play more games than the previous one.

You can only pick 11 starters and it''s always best to have a selection from the squad so you''re correct, Adams picked his best 11 to start the games.

We need a strong squad, and we have one. What''s the matter with you Newton, if you want to moan at least find something worth moaning about.

You all missing the point - for £15M (excluding Jerone) the Board must have anticipated that the team would have been enhanced not the back up squad improved

I was certainly hoping that with all that money spent we would have a better starting 11 - but this has not happened, Adams relied mainly on the old guard and that was probably part of his downfall, with lethargy setting in & we we are now seeing rumours everywhere that Grabham unsettled

Overall I''m very happy with our business in the summer. The only thing I said at the time was that we needed to replace Pilkington after we sold him, but we never did, and I think it''s cost us. I think we are finally looking for one now though. Grabban''s goals at the start of the season were incredibly vital and shouldn''t be blamed too much for his goals drying up as he was suddenly being made to play in a front two, which it appears he can''t do. Jerome was a fantastic signing, at first I wasn''t too sure but Neil did really well with that one, fantastic signing. Lafferty helped at the start of the season as that left midfielder, but we could''ve done better with the money we spent on him, he is not a replacement for Pilks, yet he''s also our 4th choice striker by a long way, he''s like our Wilbraham, but much better. Ofoe is very unfortunate and you can''t blame Neil too much for that one, yes he knew he was injury prone, but to be injured in your first game is unfair. Also we managed to keep most of our players, the hardest but most essential part, something Cardiff and Fulham didn''t do, now they''re paying the price. That''s why it annoys me when fans say that we should''ve got rid of the squad, it''s their fault why Neil was sacked (or forced to resign).

Bit of a shortened version of what McNally actually said, which was..“In terms of the strategy Alex may have a different view on where he

wants to strengthen and of course in January you are looking to bring in

players to have an impact on the first XI, not just the squad, so

obviously Alex may have a different view to the one previously held."
This tallies with what McNally also said in his Norwich City TV interview on Youtube and appears to be entirely sensible. We have a new manager who may well want to play with a different style or formation to NA and may need different players with different assets/qualities to achieve that.McNally also says in the Norwich City TV interview that any transfer activity in January would be primarily aimed at improving the first eleven with any major squad overhauls being looked at in the Summer window.All entirely sensible and what you would expect from most football clubs at this point of the season.

Money was not spent well in the summer, still have no left winger, still have whittaker at RB, still have Martin at CB. These are 3 issues that need looking at.

[quote user="Newton"]

You all missing the point - for £15M (excluding Jerone) the Board must have anticipated that the team would have been enhanced not the back up squad improved

I was certainly hoping that with all that money spent we would have a better starting 11 - but this has not happened, Adams relied mainly on the old guard and that was probably part of his downfall, with lethargy setting in & we we are now seeing rumours everywhere that Grabham unsettled

[/quote]

Again you get it spot on, by improving the back up players (by spending relatively little money in todays market) Adams forced the starting eleven to be better, who knows where we would be if he hadn''t done this, definitely not as high as 7th.

As for players wanting to leave, well I''m sure you''ll be the first to admit that if they haven''t got the stomach for a fight then we''re better off without them, that''s why we don''t want loan players.

Molly W so it was entirely sensible to spend £15M on players in the summer without improving the starting 11 - rearly ?

Surely the Board and majority of fans (not u or TCC apparently) expected that given Adams level of spending,  the team would have been enhanced not the back up squad improved

Or am I expecting too much from little old Norwich ?

[quote user="Newton"]

Molly W so it was entirely sensible to spend £15M on players in the summer without improving the starting 11 - rearly ?

Surely the Board and majority of fans (not u or TCC apparently) expected that given Adams level of spending,  the team would have been enhanced not the back up squad improved

Or am I expecting too much from little old Norwich ?

[/quote]

I''m impressed that you can speak for the majority of fans.

I don''t think you are expecting too much, like myself I expect that you want what is only best for the club, it''s a shame that you think it''s a little club, we are the leading club in our region.

TCC wrote

Again you get it spot on, by improving the back up players (by spending relatively little money in todays market) Adams forced the starting eleven to be better, who knows where we would be if he hadn''t done this, definitely not as high as 7th.

TCC are you in the same time zone as most of us - £15M relatively little money - are u sure????????

I think Ipswich spent £10K, doubt if Brentford , Watford, Derby, Middlesborough or Bournemoth spenbt anywhere near what we did and from memory there major buys are starters?

TCC £15M on transfer & loan fees not a lot in todays market - classic comment, made my morning

Consider this - in the last 5 seasons we have only spent more than this once (last year in Prem)

I think £15m is grossly exaggerate, yes it''s been published numerous times but in a lot of cases with transfers it''s spread out as an ongoing cost and not always upfront, some of it depends on appearances etc etc etc, all of which we will never actually know.

In those numbers has anyone calculated what we will get back for RVW, seems to me offloading the man that couldn''t hit a cows ass with a banjo was a great move and if we get 5/6/7 million back on him for St Ettiene then surely that comes off then £15m if you include all transfer activities ''in the summer'' as one.

As for wasted money, seems to me the majority of the money went on VOO, who has been injured which no one could have anticipated, Grabban and Lafferty. Grabban had a great start and became a hero by scoring against the scum but has been off the boil of late, was that a problem with Adams and not playing, probably. It''s also a hard position to keep to yourself, you go a couple of games and not score then everyone of us is expecting someone else to get a start, Jerome has been the man recently.

It''s only wasted money of we spend £3m on someone and then sell them on for less, which will happen with RVW and from memory he didn''t get bought by Adams.

I too would like to see a breakdown of this £17 million. It certainly doesn''t seem to tie up with what is quoted as post account expenditure shown in the annual report. After all Newton is deducting £2 million for Jerome when all reports at the time were quoting £1.5.

Every manager we''ve had since I''ve watched City in the early 60s have had successes & failures in the transfer market, yes even St Paul. And as for quoting Ipswich, can you imagine the reaction of the City fans if we had signed a 31 year old journeyman striker with no great goal scoring record, Daryl Murphy anyone?

[quote user="Newton"]

TCC wrote

TCC are you in the same time zone as most of us - £15M relatively little money - are u sure????????

I think Ipswich spent £10K, doubt if Brentford , Watford, Derby, Middlesborough or Bournemoth spenbt anywhere near what we did and from memory there major buys are starters?

TCC £15M on transfer & loan fees not a lot in todays market - classic comment, made my morning

Consider this - in the last 5 seasons we have only spent more than this once (last year in Prem)

[/quote]Yes, but in the previous four seasons at least (and probably in the season before that) we sold players who had outlived thir usefulness and we wanted to be rid of, and almost certainly our expenditure on players coming in greatly exceeded what we received in fees for those sold.*Not at all the same as the situation in the summer, when what we spent on players had been either entirely or at least largely bankrolled by the fees we received for Snodgrass, Fer, Pilkington and Surman. So there was a significant difference between our net spending in the previous years and this last summer, and any comparison has to take that into account..*This comes as a public service to Newton from the poster whose information they are happy to accept as authoritative and use when it suits their agenda but seem able to ignore when it contradicts their views and assertions. Let''s sees what happens in this case, shall we, boys and girls?

[quote user="Newton"]

TCC wrote

[/quote]

Last year is when the TV money increased so much that these figures became trivial, we can afford it so why not?

Those clubs didn''t spend the money because they didn''t have the money, we did and we spent it, if we didn''t spend it you''d complain that Delia is keeping it in her purse.

Newton, you are a totally ass inine creature. We bought players, but we also sold Snodgrass, Fer and Pilkington. Your rant conveniently forgets to highlight the money incoming from these sales. But any excuse to raise your self esteem and importance by denigrating our clubs actions. Return to your little unimportant life and leave us real fans alone.

I''m a bit lost with the numbers. If we spent, say, £15m on new players but we received £14m for Snods and Fer (which I think were the figures), then our spending is only £1m surely? Then there are Surman and Pilks as well.

None of last Summer''s signings, whether loans or permanents, seemed daft to me. Cuellar, Hooiveld and Miquel seemed good additions to the defence, Lafferty a full international in good form, Jerome we all knew about, Grabban again a proven Championship performer and Vadis seemed highly regarded. Seemed to me that they were all credible first teamers, but some have proved better than others. Until Mr Neil gets it all unravelled it is difficult to tell whether certain combinations are better than others, after all sometimes players just don''t quite gel even though individually they are very capable.

It is always important to have credible competition for places, but I don''t think we need too much, this fellow Andreu sounds useful but would that mean the end of Redmond or Hoolahan? Despite having a number of CBs we still don''t seem settled- that is the priority for me and we need a solid settled partnership there asap. I''d prefer we kept significant spending until the summer and just made one or two supplemental signings now.

And let''s not forget the money that is coming in/has come in from RVW. Ignoring what the agreement might be re them buying him at the end of the season (if that is the agreement), chances are they paid a loan fee to borrow him for this season.

That likely outs us at evens for ins vs out.....

Rich T the gross figure of over £17M (inc loand fees of £3.5M) was I belive stated at the AGM

Purple Canary a regular poster on here and recognised as a fountain of all factual knowledge has confirmed these figs on previous threads

I am not making them up ?

Do u think - other than Jerone - this level of spend should have improved the quality of our regular starting line up ?

Many on here do not - I do ?

Adams has created a squad which is much larger than we actually need and some of the more expensive purchases will get restless with no game time and the loanee central defenders are earning a nice wage packet for doing very little

You have to ask why - there is a loan market at this level which Adams chose to ignore ?