Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

Bassong or Robert Huth?

There are a couple of mentions online that we (and a few other clubs) may be interested in Robert Huth on loan for the rest of the season. He''s a big unit but similar to Turner and Cuellar - solid but not the quickest. I think Bassong at the top of his game is a far better option - trouble is he sometimes switches off or is too casual. Don''t think I''d be fussed about either of them playing for us - what do you think?

I read he''s barely played in the last year. I wonder if he''s not the same player he once was? He''s only 30, so there should be plenty of mileage left.

The main question here is that as Huth has hardly made a first team appearance during the last 12 mths - how fit is Huth

Bassong presumable is match fit  following his return from Watford

Whoever comes in has to hit the ground running

The thing is, do you make an exception in Huth''s case? If he was fully fit and playing, he''d be being eyed up by far higher clubs than us.

[quote user="Newton"]

The main question here is that as Huth has hardly made a first team appearance during the last 12 mths - how fit is Huth

Bassong presumable is match fit  following his return from Watford

Whoever comes in has to hit the ground running

[/quote]This. Besides, I can''t imagine Neil will be looking to bring in any more CBs – he already has enough to make a decision on (Bennett, Turner, Cuellar, Miquel, Hooiveld, Bassong, Martin – plus McFadden and Gafaiti seeing as he''s into bringing through youngsters).

Huth is a better centre half than Miquel, hooiveld and cuellar (who I am certain played full back for most of his career)

In fact he is better than Russell Martin and possibly Ryan Bennett. So for me he will make a team better if he is fit and hence he will likely play for an opponent.

At 30 I am surprised he is that young, a solid, strong centre half who in this division would stand out, his pace I would look at, but if I recall he did play as a wide centre half for Stoke at times.

A great poll yesterday on the Pinkun, I believe the squad needs to be strengthened, across the team. We need first 11 players that knock some of our current 11 into squad players.

Huth is better than we have I wish we could send hooiveld back and if so look at Huth.

Bassong, turner, Huth would be a good three for this division, Ryan bennett still needs to learn... Huth can certainly bring a solid toughness to our soft centre half players.

If bassong wants to play he may have to turn some players minds but he was right to note that the manager that came in was weak. If as an employee a new manager came in who had no experience and was struggling many employees would be disgruntled. Bassong needs to win the players back and if he believes with Neil we can get back this year then he will play.

For me these three would be and should be ready to get us in the play offs.

Having full backs at centre half is an issue and my problem with some of our fans looking at Swansea and Scotland is if we do go up, see players are not going to be ready for teams which have one player worth the value of our whole squad.

We need to be building with premiership capable players who can give us that edge.

Huth could well be one of those players if he is deemed fit and if he has the drive that Neil should look for if he is looking for a return right now.

I am certain that Phelan can give him a great insight into some of the prem players.

[quote user="splutcho"]That fact can''t be true, he''s only scored 15 career goals. In fact, he''s never scored against us.[/quote]

22 goals including cup....(wikipedia it)

blame MOTD for the other fact...

We already have Bassong, so if he wants to play for us I''d pick him every time. He''s younger, fitter & left footed which is a rarity in a CB.

Plus Huth is not immune to getting himself in trouble either, maybe this is why Stoke want rid:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/14/stoke-robert-huth-charged-fa-twitter-posts