Sign in to follow this  
River End Canary

John Ruddy shot v save ratio

We dont have that many shots on target against us this season but seem to be conceding a fair amount.

I wonder what Ruddy''s  stats look like compared to other keepers in the championship. I bet they are not great coupled with his inability to save a pen, I am coming to the conclusion that it may be worth selling up and looking to someone else.

He has been a great servant for the club but I am starting to question his motivation for staying

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]I blame the messiah[/quote]Ruddy was the messiah''s signing so it has to be his fault.......eh Waveney?

It took all weekend but an angle to attack the team has been identified! Bravo! Can we all give the knobhead OP a giant round of applause! Well done sir!

I was wondering if it''d be this or some idiot from the far corner of the earth pouring through imagiantsadactstats.com to find our throw in to successful positive pass completion rate or something and demanding McNally resign.

Bring back frazzle forster, oh no he was no where near the level of Ruddy if I remember correctly. In all seriousness though it was about a 50-50 split between the fans as to who was better. Both have done well in fairness

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]I blame the messiah[/quote]Ruddy was the messiah''s signing so it has to be his fault.......eh Waveney? [/quote]

He was never this bad under the Messiah!!

[quote user="Canary Island"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]I blame the messiah[/quote]Ruddy was the messiah''s signing so it has to be his fault.......eh Waveney? [/quote]

He was never this bad under the Messiah!![/quote]Which goals were his fault Waveney?

[quote user="Canary Island"]

We dont have that many shots on target against us this season but seem to be conceding a fair amount.

I wonder what Ruddy''s  stats look like compared to other keepers in the championship. I bet they are not great coupled with his inability to save a pen, I am coming to the conclusion that it may be worth selling up and looking to someone else.

He has been a great servant for the club but I am starting to question his motivation for staying

[/quote]

I think I am starting to question your motivation for posting this

I wonder how many corners/ he has caught out of the air to prevent any shots coming at him. Surely you have better things in life to think about!

Good post by the OP, and as usual his valid question is bashed by the imbesils of this forum, none of them hardly a day more than 23yrs old.

Ruddy has been leaking shots all season, espescially long range shots, and stats would be interesting to see.

I think Ruddy must be in the bottom third of Cship goalies if you look at shots/saves ratio.

That may be so Grefstad, BUT Delia likes john boy so we must never dare question him or any other player OR you''ll be hitting the club with a stick :)

If he''s as poor as one or two of you are making out (e.g. bottom third of Championship):

a) Which teams would be interested in buying him

b) Why would he want to go there?

Answers on a postcard to...this message board.

I see that Ruddy actually has the worst rating of any Championship goalie on whoscored.com, yet only 7 teams have conceded less goals in this division this season. Given that Ruddy, Whittaker, Martin, Turner and Olsson have all been criticised defensively this season, I''m wondering who exactly it is that''s been keeping all the goals out!

It looks to me like he''s [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f5kdrXQtkI]lost a bit of agility[/url] since he got injured, so we should look to get rid of him and use the money to rebuild our midfield.

Why don''t you contact Tony Parks, I''m sure he''ll be convinced by your comprehensive dossier of overwhelming evidence.

[quote user="estrada rumtotal"]It looks to me like he''s [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f5kdrXQtkI]lost a bit of agility[/url] since he got injured, so we should look to get rid of him and use the money to rebuild our midfield.[/quote]So, he''s a poor shot-stopper and lost his agility? Again, who is going to want him so much that they will pay us enough to rebuild our midfield?

I posted the below in November,

Ok, so I''ve just gone through Match stats on canaries.co.uk for the last 10 games.

The number on the left is how many shots our opponents had on

target, the number on the right is the goals we conceded that game.

4-3

4-3

3-2

5-4

2-1

1-0

1-1

2-1

2-1

1-1

So in 10 games Ruddy has faced 25 shots on target of which 17 have gone in!

68% Conceding rate, shockingly pathetic!

One of the oddest stats around this one.

There are only 7 teams to have conceded more goals than us yet our heavy possession stats mean we have had fewer shots against us than any other team. Suggests we are conceding more goals per shot on average than most teams.

Only 1 keeper (Boro) has saved fewer shots in total than Ruddy, and only 2 saved fewer as a % of shots faced.

Yet those teams/keepers with "worse" stats are Bournemouth & Middlesborough and a fourth of the worst 5 are ipswich - all in firm positions for promotion/play off contention (the exception are Brighton).

Make sense of that!

[quote user="Canary Island"]

[/quote]what a pile of absurd drivel

(the real question is what is your motivation for posting that nonsensical shyte)

Always pleased to see Big John between the sticks.

I don''t care about the statistics, I know what''s good and bad by watching.

[quote user="FCC"]Always pleased to see Big John between the sticks.

I don''t care about the statistics, I know what''s good and bad by watching.[/quote]

So do I and he has been truly awful great in previous years but rubbish so far this year

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]One of the oddest stats around this one.

There are only 7 teams to have conceded more goals than us yet our heavy possession stats mean we have had fewer shots against us than any other team. Suggests we are conceding more goals per shot on average than most teams.

Only 1 keeper (Boro) has saved fewer shots in total than Ruddy, and only 2 saved fewer as a % of shots faced.

Yet those teams/keepers with "worse" stats are Bournemouth & Middlesborough and a fourth of the worst 5 are ipswich - all in firm positions for promotion/play off contention (the exception are Brighton).

Make sense of that![/quote]

The only thing I can think of is that most of those goals may have come from set pieces where chances are a lot more clear cut. A clearer indication would be if we knew what % of shots came from open play as opposed to corners, free kicks etc.

My hunch would be that the better teams who control possession more allow the opposition less shots from open play and more from set pieces hence a worse shot/save ratio.

I am probably way off but hey.

Sorry ZLF, you can''t make sense of the stats, because you''ve got them slightly wrong-only 7 teams have conceded less than us, not more, so the fact that we''ve had the lowest number of shots against us is more understandable.

Where did you get your stat about the fewest number of shots against? I wouldn''t mind working out that percentage of shots to goals for each team.

Last few games I think he''s been a little better but no doubt in my mind that a few shots have gone in against us that I usually expect Ruddy to save. Reminds me of when we had Gallagher in goal and you''d expect him to save it only to see the net suddenly bulge.

I therefore don''t think Ruddy has been at his best and certainly not up to pre injury standards but he''s still our best keeper and hopefully his season will pick up momentum along with the whole team over the next few weeks. Confidence is such a big thing. No coincidence Ruddy''s best form cane during he period after he got the confidence boost of being in the Engkand squad.

[quote user="Mr Angry"]Sorry ZLF, you can''t make sense of the stats, because you''ve got them slightly wrong-only 7 teams have conceded less than us, not more, so the fact that we''ve had the lowest number of shots against us is more understandable.

Where did you get your stat about the fewest number of shots against? I wouldn''t mind working out that percentage of shots to goals for each team.[/quote]

You are right Mr A my most should have been a less. While his stats LOOK bad its hard to conclude he is having that bad a season.

I had calculated the shots per goal and we concede a goal on average every 8.8 shots. The worst is every 8 shots (Reading) with the best ''boro at 15.9 shots. Only 4 teams concede goals faster than us per shots faced (Reading, Millwall, Hudderfield & Fulham)

Looking at saves by area ruddy saves 31% of shots in the 6 yard box (3rd best in the league) and 24% (5th best) from those outside the penalty areas - top class stuff.

However for those in the pen box he saves 18% of shots, which is the 3 worst and distinctly worse than his peers.

A working hypothesis from this could be that our mid & def is quite solid particularly protecting the goal well from shooting opportunities outside the box (2nd best team) and Ruddy deals well with shots from distance.

Likewise close up he generally gets his angles right and when we are breached close to goal he does well. Where he is, probably, being let down is consistent protection in the pen area. Most of the time our defence restricts space there (fewest shots against from that space) but when we get it wrong (poor marking, positional out, non tracked runner or not on your toes we are allowing space and time for good shots on target - chances of greatest accuracy and least reaction time for the keeper.

Many have claimed that Ruddy is playing poorly, my view has been that he has been exposed by a weak defence too often. (the stats here show that most of the time our defensive team does better than I give credit for, but still scope for improvement)

I think its clear its more complex than that and the correlation with strong promotion positions with keepers with "poor" saves stat shows how misleading data without context can be.

Mr A; the stats I have used are available on whoscored.com, go to the teams stats page for the championship and select the detailed tab...

whereas it is no more than worthless drivel cobbled together to over excite those who pull themselves silly salivating over www.saddo.comfor there to be ANY meaningful comparison to be drawn all shots would have to be from an equal distance, equal angle, equal force, equal direction and Ruddy would have to be standing in the same place as all other keepers being comparedthe op was put up by the same creep who seems to spend most of his time on here under various names, desperately trying to find new ways to attack the club

If its all such meaningless drivel why do all professional clubs, in your opinion, waste their time and precious money employing analysts looking at these things and the players themselves value their insights after each game?

Stats alone are meaningless - but they also support improvements in team and individual performance otherwise no one would waste their time