Sign in to follow this  
mrs miggins

Jermain Defoe to Sunderland for £14m - wtf

Now Torres for £50m was reasonably understandable as he had a great record at Liverpool before his flop at Chelski....which in turn gave birth to the £35m player which is Andy Carroll...apparently. £12m for RVW who was a gamble, and a flop.

But £14m for a 32 year old striker who will be on huge wages at Toronto and who used to be good, now that is more madness than all those put together....playing in a physical team like Sunderland. What the hell are they thinking?

Can''t see this fee anywhere. Could it be a deal including wages. If that fee is right it is a ridiculous amount for an ageing player. What he will give Sunderland ........possibly, is goals. People in Sunderland have been saying all season they are going to struggle for goals and that has been the case. Am sure though they could have got more for 14 million quid.

I would take these figues with a HUGE, HUGE pinch of saltClubs rarely release the true cost of a players signature, so they are never anything more than media speculationeven then there is no set measure of that figurethe real ''wtf'' is that there are still so many who are gormless enough to put so much store by this stuff

See the report i read stated a £14m total outlay. £3m being paid for the player on £80k a week for 2 1/2 years which totals £13.4m so not miles off.

Although this could again be complete pie in the sky stuff. Has he still got it at 32? Surely better, younger options available for that sort of outlay, and with resale value....

His contract is worth £14m. He has proved over many years that he can score in the PL. If he does and they stay up and get £60m it is money well spent

I will be shocked if he doesnt still have it and notches regularly. Fit lad, 32 these days not a huge issue and he is a class act still I''m sure......great signing for Sunderland, wish we were in a position to sign him!

[quote user="Gipsy Lane"]His contract is worth £14m. He has proved over many years that he can score in the PL. If he does and they stay up and get £60m it is money well spent[/quote]What he said.Even if it was £14million outright, you compare it to the quoted amount for Falcao who will be 29 in less than a month.And as Gipsy says, it''s a calculated gamble. Defoe, if given the right service will get you 15 goals a season. He''s never been wholly reliant upon pace and he can finish from anywhere inside the final third of the pitch.What does seem strange to me about it, is that it''s their defense which is the most problematic and their inconsistent midfield.

"I think this will explain the situation"

Chuckle. I''m loving the last line of that article!!