Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Bid For Olsson Rejected

I have found it a little surprising that we are two weeks into the Transfer Window, and this is really the first bid/rumour for one of our players, that has hit the press.

I''m not saying (or encouraging!) that all our players should be pursued by top (or any other) Prem teams, but it''s unusual that it has been so quiet

We need to hang on to these players in january for a push at promotion and i think if we dont get promoted then the likes of Redmond & Olsson should be allowed to leave for big money.

Not sure what to make of his situation. Didn''t have that shoulder surgery in the summer (was because of his family issues?) and doesn''t seem the same player we saw 12 months ago, I don''t know if that''s down to the injury or missing a chunk of preseason. I''d take anything north of £4m personally.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]It is exceptionally naive to believe that the sale of any of our first eleven players is in any sense compatible with promotion.[/quote]

We are talking about the Stowmarket 2 the definition of naive!

Mings from the scum is said to be worth £4m and is being touted for the likes of Arsenal, although I think they know they can do better.

I rate olsson and think he''s one of our best, most consistant player and wouldn''t really want him to leave.

However I imagine that Alex neil would jump at the chance to take the highly rated stephen hendrie from hamilton with him, Already been linked with palace and West Ham and doesn''t look like a Peter grant bring everyone moment!

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Very good news the bid had been rejected; I would hope the squad dismantling can wait until the Summer if we remain the Championship.[/quote]thank god the board finds time to tell someone on here what they are doing*otherwise we would be reliant on believing the shyte the media makes up

* do they text, email or actually phone you ?

After the Bournemouth game on Saturday, I met most of the team by the waiting coach ready to depart back to Norwich. All of the lads were a great bunch, and a real credit to the club especially Hoops, Russ, Josh, Howson, Turner, Brad, Jerome, and Redmond - came away thinking I''m proud to have them at our fine club. Olsson on the other hand looked at a bunch of young City supporters all of 10 feet away asking him by name to sign their programme and he just ignored them and boarded the coach, which I thought was a little harsh given he''d blatantly blanked them whilst Russ alone must have spent another 20 mins or more talking with various people. Didn''t really strike me as one of the team to be honest, perhaps he was just not in the mood (after a win?) or his head was already elsewhere...

I think it is fair to say that last season Olsson was our best player in my mind.

The wolves game he was frustrated about something other than the game for his attitude and I for one agree with him. I think he is one of our better players and is surrounded by those that probably aren''t as good.

I remember in hux'' book he mentions he was screaming for brellier to pass the ball to him in a game from 390 yards away. He didn''t and hux asked why... I can''t pass that far with my left foot.

Well I think we have players that do not have the same level of quality as Olsson Nd hence he is often given the ball late.

Garrido is too slow even for this league so Olsson we have to keep if we have any ambitions of premier league football.

We need premier league footballers, or at least players in ours team who are capable of performing in the premier league. We have seen some of our players be there for a few years but they look at home in the championship, so we need to add to Olsson, Redmond, ruddy and Jerome.

Of course every player has their price and again if a player left for the prem I would congratulate them, especially as Olsson could be a starter in a prem team, unlike bj or Russell Martin.

I don''t expect many offers to come in as I think we are looking average in many aspects and Neil has already stated that after 3 days he already has seen holes in our squad. I think many of us see gaping holes, if we want to bounce back.

January silly season means that players generally sell for more than they would in the summer. (Unless contract clause).

I would hope that a regular 1st team international player would be worth a good 8 million + given that a swift return to the premiership would generate lots of money.

For me I hope he stays but its a test to how the board feel and if the player wants a move.

Funny, for me Olsson is all hype and no substance. He seems to forever play the game on his heels waiting for something to happen, rather than being alert and able to read the game. I think he has been nothing short of a liability for parts of this season where he has simply switched off and allowed the game to go on around him. On a number of occasions he has been caught out by balls over his head, or without awareness of where the player he is marking has wandered off to.His so called ''attacking intent'' seems fairly invisible, so many times he needs a decent touch out of his feet but it takes him two or three touches to get the ball under control and you can count the times he has made an overlapping run on one hand this season.That said I am not convinced Garrido is the right replacement, but if £6m is on offer then I''d snap their hands off.

Let''s be honest here and admit that NONE of our fullbacks have looked anywhere near their best this season. The lack of strong leadership in the centre of defence hasn''t helped, with a constant merry-go-round of player partnerships being used and certainly in regards to our left flank, for most of the season Olsson hasn''t had an out and out winger to actually work with, it''s been people who can sometimes play there without being overly proficient (be this Grabban, Lafferty, Johnson), or it''s been the youth of Murphy who is massively inexperienced at this level.We can also note that outside of Redmond (where much of our play has been focused), NONE of our players have particularly been crossing the ball and this again removes a potential attacking outlet for players like Olsson to work with. It was a similar situation under Hughton when Snoddy was in the team, passing was focused mainly down the right with the seeming hope that the left came up with something now and again of their own accord.In my mind, players like Olsson have suffered from our approach to the game, the relative lack of overall quality around them at times and a distinct lack of cohesion at the back where their primary duties should have been focused.That being said, if a strong offer came in for Olsson from a premiership level club, I''d be very tempted to take it and focus on bringing a younger player through with Garrido for them to work with (as Garrido is very technically sound, but lacks real pace IMHO), and certainly if Neil is looking to bring players like Hendrie with him from Hamilton, this could be the ideal way to acheive that.

If Olsson''s offered top-flight football with a progressive footballing side, you couldn''t blame him for taking it. Stephen Hendrie is out of contract at the end of the season, so we could replace Olsson with him and actually make a profit. Younger, hungrier, probably smaller wages, and the manager knows how to get the best out of him... yes please.http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30696590

Olsson is an odd one. Great pace but defensively suspect with positioning and we rarely get much from his exhilarating much lauded attacking play - consistently fewer assists & goals than either Martin or the ridiculed Whittaker on the other flank.

I think I have been seduced into thinking that pace and bombing forward makes for a good left back; an error I am repeating from Tierneys days - we love a trier but actually he is not as good as my tinted glasses.

At 26 he is not going to improve; IF the price is right then sell he is not irreplaceable.

Have no idea why there is a lovein for Olsson.

Easily been our worst defender this season, offers little to nothing going forward, isn''t great defensively. Anything upwards of £4m and we are laughing our heads off.

The few games Garrido played (after Olsson got done for pace and sent off at Wolves) conincided with our best form of the season, a much much better player than Olsson.

[quote user="The Great Wall Of Tettey"]I rate olsson and think he''s one of our best, most consistant player and wouldn''t really want him to leave.

However I imagine that Alex neil would jump at the chance to take the highly rated stephen hendrie from hamilton with him, Already been linked with palace and West Ham and doesn''t look like a Peter grant bring everyone moment![/quote]This could be close to the truth - and Swansea may be banking on something like this happening. The Swansea move is something that may take place later in the window when it is clearer who may be coming in and imo their offer is just an opening gambit and if we do get Hendrie, selling Ollson for a good price would offset that cost quite nicely.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]apparently there''s a lot of interest in him from other clubs which will put the price up, however this is only speculation really[/quote]so actually it is as you say ....................only speculation really

Martin Olsson is all hype!

Poor defender, poor attacker...

So what if she''s an international player? Loza is technically an international player...

I would happily take 2 million for Olsson.

Olsson like Bassong has multiple relegations to his name... Do I need to say anymore???