Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Grabban - yes or no ?

if we could sell him for what we paid and use the money to bring in another striker would you back that ?AN seems to favour Lafferty

Would prefer to keep him for rest of season, then maybe, however he is one of the ones struggling with confidence, maybe AN can get that back into him, he has a great work rate but touch lets him down. Why would Eddie Howe want him back ? because he knows there are goals in him i suspect, keep him please, competition and cover for injury / suspensions...

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Would prefer to keep him for rest of season, then maybe, however he is one of the ones struggling with confidence, maybe AN can get that back into him, he has a great work rate but touch lets him down. Why would Eddie Howe want him back ? because he knows there are goals in him i suspect, keep him please, competition and cover for injury / suspensions...[/quote]This.Unfortunately for him only, Jerome and Hooper are in form and hard to drop, so he will have to bide his time. He is a good player, and we need someone like him as back up.

confidence, ?would disagree, I''ve yet to meet a footballer at this level who lacks confidence ... that''s what got them thereI''ve seen plenty who have lost the application and commitment (for some reason) which keeps them therea classic example being the players away at Fulham 2005and something that seems to have affected Grabbanwhether that is down to personal matters, the way we were playing, Neil Adam(etc) you cannot know, but with this final run in coming up if he''s not fully up for it then we need to find someone else who is

ps Jerome has been a revelation

I''d sell him back and use the money to buy Nadir Ciftci. I''ve been in love with this guy for the past 2 or so years. He''s fast, strong, and very creative (which is exactly what we need). He currently plays for Dundee United and we could probably get him for around 1 million. He can not only play striker, but also on the wing (another thing we need). So pretty much for around 1 million we would get a young exciting player who would fill two needs of ours. A creative backup striker and a 2nd winger to play opposite to Redmond.

Sorry if I ranted, but I''ve been waiting a long time to say this.

Yes.Showed good form ealier in the season before an injury coincided with Hooper coming back. He could play wide, and in some ways is probably more naturally a wide player than Lafferty.That said. When you look at our strike force, you have Jerome (what a bargain at £1.5million - not £3million Newton), Hooper, Laffterty, Grabban who are all involved in the first team squad with Loza and Becchio lurking in the shadows.If we lose anyone out of a striking department over this transfer window it has to be be Loza on loan an Becchio sold unless AN decides he needs to be given a chance.No need to disrupt any of that unlest one of those key four players wants to leave and so creates a dilema. Grabban is clearly good enough at this level, arguably could be in double figures like now. Looks to be a good finisher and provider of goals.

"an Becchio sold unless AN decides he needs to be given a chance."why not ?and hands to the pump as they say - as could well be the same with Bassongalthough the ''transfer window'' for us doesn''t close until late March, far better to have the player bedded in rather than have to go looking were we to lose a couple of strikers through inuryBecchio is one of the great unexplained mysteries... hero to zero in weeks

[quote user="City1st"]"an Becchio sold unless AN decides he needs to be given a chance."why not ?and hands to the pump as they say - as could well be the same with Bassongalthough the ''transfer window'' for us doesn''t close until late March, far better to have the player bedded in rather than have to go looking were we to lose a couple of strikers through inuryBecchio is one of the great unexplained mysteries... hero to zero in weeks

[/quote]Perhaps confidence for grabban is the same for becchio. As for the latter yes, an unexplained mystery. You don''t go from a 19 goal striker at half way point of a season, and become rubbish overnight. Just feel he''s never been given a proper run. Only then could we really judge him, but can''t see that happening now (although new manager does always mean a fresh start for everyone!)

mystified what this confidence stuff is aboutthey are professional footballers who have a fair fw years at this level, not shy virgins on their first datewith Grabban it appears to be a lack of interest or commitmentBecchio it was a lack of games, and Hughton not rating him and/or not playing to his strengths

Perhaps Lafferty was used as a ''horses for courses'' pick? It might be a bit early to say that AN prefers him, just has in the first week, and may well have made a judgment, on what he knew about Lafferty from his Rangers days?

Grabban is, at the moment, on the bench because he had a dip in form, and Jerome and Hoops have grasped the chance. If we were to get rid of him in this Transfer Window, and get a replacement, then I would think that the replacement would have to be good enough to go straight into the starting 11, otherwise, what would be the point of all that paperwork?

[quote user="City1st"] mystified what this confidence stuff is aboutthey are professional footballers who have a fair fw years at this level, not shy virgins on their first datewith Grabban it appears to be a lack of interest or commitmentBecchio it was a lack of games, and Hughton not rating him and/or not playing to his strengths

[/quote]

They arnt robots all sports men and women can go through periods of self doubt just as everyday people can find themselves doubting their ability to do something. It could e caused by anything he might wonder to himself if maybe last season was a flash in the pan for his career, he might struggle with the higher expectation placed on him, could be that he''s seen players in the squad and feels individually he''s not as good technically. Granted it might not be a confidence thing but to suggest footballers don''t struggle with confidence at times in their career is plain stupid, read any footballers biography and it''s quite clear they do.

Grabban is a good player. I think you''re doing pretty well to have someone like him to come off the bench.

And he should have come off the bench a bit sooner than he did against Cardiff.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="City1st"] mystified what this confidence stuff is aboutthey are professional footballers who have a fair fw years at this level, not shy virgins on their first datewith Grabban it appears to be a lack of interest or commitmentBecchio it was a lack of games, and Hughton not rating him and/or not playing to his strengths

[/quote]

They arnt robots all sports men and women can go through periods of self doubt just as everyday people can find themselves doubting their ability to do something. It could e caused by anything he might wonder to himself if maybe last season was a flash in the pan for his career, he might struggle with the higher expectation placed on him, could be that he''s seen players in the squad and feels individually he''s not as good technically. Granted it might not be a confidence thing but to suggest footballers don''t struggle with confidence at times in their career is plain stupid, read any footballers biography and it''s quite clear they do.[/quote]err, I never claimed they were robots in fact quite the opposite - those who succeed are those usually able to deal with such occurenceswatching Grabban suggested it was lack of interest or commitment to the cause.. whatever that may be us mortal souls will not knowas to a footballers biography then as they are written by another person why would they have any more credence that anyone else''s thoughts ?7

If footballers don''t suffer with a confidence thing, can someone explain what happened to Torres at Chelsea ? football is about skill and any skill can be practised, can be taught, and you cant confuse skill with natural talent. with competition for places players can over compensate and when things go wrong for them as individuals confidence (or self belief) can drain quickly.

If it can happen to a Torres it can happen to anyone ? Grabban will be back.

I''d certainly keep him for the time being as we''ll potentially need decent back ups to Hooper and Jerome. Unfortunately it is very difficult to get top quality No3 or No4 strikers as they will want to play week in week out. Grabban is a good option for us to come in when needed and if AN is such a good man manager then he should be able to solve any reputed commitment issues.

However if we go up I''d be tempted to sell in the summer. A poor first touch is one thing you can''t get away with in the Prem where CBs are faster and better positionally, and I''m not sure that he is an appealing option even as back up in the Prem.

Bournemouth fans told us when he joined he is a striker with confidence issues.

I think we can agree that is is clear that is the case, he has not struck many goals with much conviction, and you can see his touch at times etc is poor, he needs 4-5 chances to score a goal

That is just about ok in the championship, but not in the premiership.

For me I think he will not get any better, this is his level and therefore he is rightly down the pecking order. I do not think he is the answer.

If we go up, he is not good enough, if we stay down and have ambitions of a return again, he is a capable third or fourth striker but a new striker needs to come in if Jerome or hooper were too leave or once rvw is off the books. You ca never have enough goals in your team.

For me grabban is not good enough but of course when he puts on the shirt I will cheer but he rarely gives me confidence in his ability that he can come here and score 20 goals a season or 15.

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="City1st"] mystified what this confidence stuff is aboutthey are professional footballers who have a fair fw years at this level, not shy virgins on their first datewith Grabban it appears to be a lack of interest or commitmentBecchio it was a lack of games, and Hughton not rating him and/or not playing to his strengths

[/quote]

They arnt robots all sports men and women can go through periods of self doubt just as everyday people can find themselves doubting their ability to do something. It could e caused by anything he might wonder to himself if maybe last season was a flash in the pan for his career, he might struggle with the higher expectation placed on him, could be that he''s seen players in the squad and feels individually he''s not as good technically. Granted it might not be a confidence thing but to suggest footballers don''t struggle with confidence at times in their career is plain stupid, read any footballers biography and it''s quite clear they do.[/quote]err, I never claimed they were robots in fact quite the opposite - those who succeed are those usually able to deal with such occurenceswatching Grabban suggested it was lack of interest or commitment to the cause.. whatever that may be us mortal souls will not knowas to a footballers biography then as they are written by another person why would they have any more credence that anyone else''s thoughts ?7

[/quote]

Do i really need to explain this? Because good biographies are written with a ghost writer, someone who will have spent time with the person, not a fan who sits in a stand and guesses. To suggest that all professional players never ever lose confidence and it is a myth is totally ridiculous.

If we hadn''t signed Jerome, Grabban would be playing more and scoring more (than he has) and we wouldn''t be having stupid discussions like this one, on here.

Lewis Grabban is a good championship striker, he is a pacey, reasonably strong, goal scorer! He got 20+ goals last season for Bournemouth. If we had 3 million pounds to spend on a striker now, we''d still go for Grabban.

He''s just unfortunate that he''s got two decent strikers ahead of him. I say two, as Lafferty is a different type of player, and an agree one at that.

I''d keep hold of him if it was my decision, if Jerome or Hoops got injured we might need him, hes got a good record in the championship, think he''s just lost his confidence and Alex may be the man to help restore that.

"Do i really need to explain this? Because good biographies are written

with a ghost writer, someone who will have spent time with the person,

not a fan who sits in a stand and guesses. To suggest that all

professional players never ever lose confidence and it is a myth is

totally ridiculous."
given that you don''t appear to know what a biography is I shall presume the same level of ignorance applies to the rest of your thoughts

as to the confidence bollox it is nothing other than more newspeak to sanitise the reality - just as such words as ''matters, concerns, questions, points, queries, and problems etc are now not to be used in case they infer cause, and therefore responsibilitynot for us the rich variation of words and their different connotations, it now has to be the newspeak ''ishooooos'' and similarly, ''confidence'' is now the catch all word to cover any lack of motivation or outside problems affecting concentration and that is the point, those causes are not questioned because now they don''t exist - it is a " confidence ishhooo"

[quote user="City1st"]"Do i really need to explain this? Because good biographies are written

with a ghost writer, someone who will have spent time with the person,

not a fan who sits in a stand and guesses. To suggest that all

professional players never ever lose confidence and it is a myth is

totally ridiculous."
given that you don''t appear to know what a biography is I shall presume the same level of ignorance applies to the rest of your thoughts

as to the confidence bollox it is nothing other than more newspeak to sanitise the reality - just as such words as ''matters, concerns, questions, points, queries, and problems etc are now not to be used in case they infer cause, and therefore responsibilitynot for us the rich variation of words and their different connotations, it now has to be the newspeak ''ishooooos'' and similarly, ''confidence'' is now the catch all word to cover any lack of motivation or outside problems affecting concentration and that is the point, those causes are not questioned because now they don''t exist - it is a " confidence ishhooo"

[/quote]

Someone likes the sound of their own voice even if it is aload of guff. I understand what a biography is and it doesnt have to written by someone who has never met the player and i would probably assume that most autobiographies are pretty much written in main by a ghost writer. At no point did i say that confidence was the only thing that affects a football, but i wasn''t ignorant enough either to suggest that confidence doesn''t exist in sport, plainly only a moron would think that.