Sign in to follow this  
andy 1974

Phelan

Anyone else notice at the end of yesterdays game on the highlights how Alex Neil celebrates with high fives all round firstly gary holt and then some of the staff that mike phelan had already started making his way down the tunnel.

I am really excited by the prospect of Alex Neil and his Ethics but what happens when Frankie McAvoy joins.

I honestly believe it will spell the end of Phelan and I really hope this is not the case.

Thoughts

Yep i just made that point on another thread. Was in a hurry, have a sneaky feeling he wont be here much longer.

Was going to post the same. I just watched the highlights and in my opinion it''s noticeable hit sits down on the bench towards the end looking a little put out that Neil has come down. He''s then off down the tunnel on the final whistle whilst the rest of the bench congratulate each other.

I hope I''m wrong but looked a bit miffed and I would not be surprised if he leaves the club quite soon.

I think back to hughtons reign when karsa and culverhouse still kicking around and the board said that having extra coaching staff would benefit. That didn''t last very long.

Must have been difficult to swallow after preparing the team shape and tactics all week to be upstaged by a young man whose achievements and experience is a drop in the ocean compared to his own.

I can maybe understand why he was annoyed but I hope it doesn''t cause a big rift. Alex Neil''s assistant from Hamilton is going to be here at the end of the month too. I can''t see it lasting unfortunately, but hopefully they''re big enough to get on

When AN announced that he was looking to bring Mc Avoy in I did wonder where, on the face of it Phelan was going to fit in, and, it has to be said, assuming that Neil is himself clearly planning to be a ''hands on'' coach whether we actually need three more first team coaches ?

I think there is room for Phelan but the more relevant question is whether Phelan will want to stay and be number 2 (or possibly 3) to Alex Neil if he himself had his hat in the ring for the job. I suspect he did in which case seeing Neil on the touchline and getting the plaudits got a cracking win was probably a little irritating got him. Can''t see him staying to be honest.

Since Phelan joined the club we have averaged just over 2pts per game which for rest of the season would get us over 80pts and close to automatic. I really hope that Alex Neil and Phelan can work together as that gives us a well balanced management team for the last 21 games.

Maybe, just maybe he went early to check on his injured/sent off players to see if they are alright. Oh, sorry. We can''t go for a whole weekend feeling good about the club. There must be something out there to bring the sky down on our heads[:S]

Mike Phelan usually walks straight down the tunnel after a game, does`nt hang around at the end.Did nothing different Saturday than he does after every other game.

My God, what are some of you like?

Desperate to try and pluck a negative from the weekend lol.

I don''t think Phelan is a demonstrative chap. From memory he certainly wasn''t when playing for us.

Like others I sincerely hope he stays.

I don''t see the need to condemn the OP and others as being negative or dampening a joyous weekend.

Simply provoking debate on how folks see the structure sorting itself out under Alex Neil is something many fans have been discussing. With Holt, Phelan, his guy from Hamilton and McNally mentioning that Adams''s next position could be with the first team, it''s obvious that some sort of cull will be necessary.

Yankee are you John from New York who I met at the  NCFC game on their US tour at Saccremento CA a couple of years back when Redmond made his debut

Not me Daly. I live on the other side of the country, although it crossed my mind that I would have liked to have gone to that match ( and visit a sister who lives in Sacramento ) but , unfortunately, my wife''s disability keeps me close to home.

Both big Mac and Alex have said in interviews, to the press, quite openly that there is no plan for Phelan to leave and that Alex would be happy to have the three coaches in addition to himself.You have to remember that both Holt and Phelan both have more experience and can offer more than both Alex and his coach. I don''t see there being a problem at all.I have also heard a rumour that Phelan was offered the job but declined. Although my interpretation would be he was invited to apply for the job but declined.Phelan was brought in to be an experienced coach for two younger coaches/manager to glean assistance and support from. I don''t see that as having changed drastically and the players have said they felt they had to step it up a bit and were excited to work with Phelan.I think people need to wait for facts rather than failed attempts and iffy highlights that are not always reliable.

Holt is assistant manager, phelan is head coach it''s more likely holt will go as his post has been taken over