Sign in to follow this  
TalkNorwichCity

Fans video opinion on the Cardiff game!

Hi guys,

My name is Jack Reeve and I''m new to this forum, just wanted some feedback on my videos and what you think of them.

Here is yesterday''s review of the game, feedback appreciated! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woYw55hUG2M&list=UU80_TD2kTwqlp_dmhWGF6cw

the records were excellent ... brought back a few memoriesthanksps not sure about the dj though

Pretty good actually - well put together, pretty slick.  You could knock the background music down a bit. Maybe get a blind up at your window as after that bus went by I was trying to work out which bit of the ring road you live on, but more because the back of your head is reflected (or maybe lower the camera).  The PC with the desktop background doesn''t do much either, get a  City logo on it or something.
Good luck with it.

Thanks for the feedback mate, the road you were looking at is the main road through Yarmouth.

All of them points will be taken on board and changed in my next video - always good to know what the viewer thinks.

[quote user="TalkNorwichCity"]

Any feedback on the video itself, presentation style, feeling of the match day etc.[/quote]

Liked the lead up to the match and stadium shots.   When you can''t get there, things like seeing the crowd before hand, going up the steps, crowd shots in the ground etc help give people a good feel for the occasion.  Perhaps a few more steady shots holding the camera still a bit longer, then editing out any sudden camera movements would help the viewing experience.  Agree with Bor, the setting for the report could do with improving. Overall though enjoyed it!

Thanks for the feedback mate, as I said earlier it''s always good to get a different look at things so I can switch things up.

I will certainly take that into consideration, it seems like my recording setting needs to be changed!

[quote user="TalkNorwichCity"]Yeah some good tunes for sure, all mixed together by a good friend of mine.

Any feedback on the video itself, presentation style, feeling of the match day etc.[/quote]if you are not reading from an autocue/prompt the try not to speak like you are. ie leave gaps where natural gaps should be ie at the end of the sentence - remember the hignfy clip where the idiot newsreader began by running the introduction into the opening sentence .. which gave "good evening peadophiles"  her etccut down on the cliches ie putting on a shift, playing one on top etc as you will not develop your own style and more importantly your own take on thingswho is your target audience, maybe ''exiles'' as stated above.. in which case a bit more of the build up to the game, with shots of the crowds reaction as well as much as just having ''what you think'' - there is a hundred of the latter, so why would anyone bother with you ?maybe find a particular angle for each game ie Ruddy''s supposed loss of form, the more attacking play we now have and post up your thoughts on that, which include a few comments from fansdon''t try and compete with others for gimmicks and computer wizardry, most will have far more money and ability than youconcentrate on a few areas and do them well, don''t be afraid to write up your thoughts and then read them out, the skill is in not appearing to be doing that - interspersing those parts with interviews and clips will allow you to read out yours in easier a smaller bitsdon''t be afraid to rehearse and read through what you have written either so you are comfortable with what you are sayingand cut out the music, it only distractsps others make it look effortless because they work as hard as possible to make it look that way .. as Churchill said " some of my best ad libs took months to write "

Superb mate, thanks for your time to give your thoughts.

I think I will start to add more clips before the game to give more of a feel to the game.

I think I might avoid scripting videos for these types of videos as I like to keep them fairly informal but I might do for the news videos for sure.

Thanks though, I will certainly take this all on board

Your video is a bit jerky, I suspect you''ve shot at 20 frames/sec and somewhere, either in the camera or editing software, the video has been converted to 25 frames/sec by repeating every 4th frame.If you''re uploading to youtube you''d probably be better off keeping it at 20 fps, or shooting at 25 or 30fps if possible.

Firstly welcome to the forum Jack, the most popular ncfc forum on the web lol

I enjoyed your video and have seen others of yours, have also seen some of your interviews that you''ve done including the ones outside the Jarrold Stand, keep up the good work, you''re a talented lad and are going places.

Please stick around and post we''d welcome your input.

Hi Jack - Been watching your videos for quite some time now, and i''ve gotta say that City1st has hit the nail on the head with quite a few points he''s raised so if you want to improve yourself please take note.

If i''m to be honest i get a real hate/love thing going when i watch what you put out, i love what you''re trying to do and it''s clear you put a lot of work in to them, and to be honest i feel bad giving you criticism when what you do is good.

However, the whole time i think you''re trying to be something that you perceive ''a reporter'' (or suchlike) to be, but as city1st has mentioned the perceived reporter-like style and tired cliches really do put me off (Sorry!) - you''re young, and clearly have a lot of drive and passion, you could really be doing something which makes you stand out from the crowd and drives some excitement for you as an asset, because let''s be honest everyone and their dog are trying to either blog/vlog online, and you can easily get footage from inside carrow road from other supporters - I think it''s time for you to start really trying to build something.

Now - I don''t know how you get to and from games, and whether this is possible, but i think if you could get yourself amongst away supporters and not only show them coming to carrow road, but try to get five minutes from a few and see what they think of us, how far they had to travel and that kind of stuff would be very interesting... I say it will be interesting because you''re getting a different perspective every game - as a fellow supporter we''re always going to be roughly on the same page, so eventually why would i come to hear you telling me what i already know?

You could get some cheap business cards printed (£20 for about 250), and after speaking with a supporter give them the card and they can look out for the interview later as on the card will be your channel address etc., bringing you much wider coverage - most people are vain so like to watch themselves, and usually end up showing a mate/family member, you can only win from this.

It also makes approaching people much easier as you can show them the card first, bs a bit and multiply your viewers up and then ask if they would like to give an interview - you don''t need microphones etc. just do it straight to the camera and travel light!

No-one, including pinkun, radio norfolk etc. ever give that perspective on our club. The media here is very inward looking, and as such we have very little appreciation of how we fit in to the game as a whole, or indeed our perception from other fans travelling to the city, we''re hardly ever the main feature on national programs such as Talksport/5 Live etc. and when we are it''s City fans, talking City. You would be the only person actively seeking to report these views back to the county as a whole.

Doing this may also alert you to fanzines of other clubs who would appreciate you as a source for future features/comments when they visit the following season.

Also, have you considered waiting around to pick off a player interview as they leave the ground? We probably have some of the most easiest players to gain access to and you really should take advantage of that. How they would react if you have a camera pointing on them i don''t know so it would have to be nothing heavy, just a light hearted quick question to start with and just hold the camera on them while you ask it, i.e. if possible try and get players carrying injuries and ask ''Hows the leg going?'' etc. That way you can start to build up a bit of trust, and who knows what it could lead to.

With a bit of persistence you may pull of a 2-3 minute interview, maybe with one of the youth, but it''s all good if you keep it casual and don''t overstep that line where you''re asking specifics regarding the match of which they may not be so eager to make comment.

Further down the line even try to ask one of them to give a sound bite or something saying ''I''m *player name* and you''re watching talk norwich city''. You just never know until you try these things. But if you''re serious about going on this path then i can''t think of anything better to have on your cv than the ability to get people to engage with you, that''s a skill people pay money for, and how you get exclusives. To me, it seems that our local media are unable to fully penetrate/get close to the club or players and instead feed off scraps that the club throws out mainly as they don''t want to upset them.

You, however haven''t the baggage of an established organisation, and therefore can go in afresh, under the guise of being ''just'' a fan looking to help promote the club and players, i.e. you''re not out for criticism.

From simple player interaction you could possibly start to think about having a mini series where you challenge each player, but start it off by saying (To Player B, for example) ''Player A managed our *whatever* challenge in 12 seconds, think you could do any better?'' and then proceed to hold out some kind of challenge to them - What that is i don''t know, but if you could think of something that most people would give it a go, and can be taken in your pocket, you could be on to a winner... The key would be getting the first player to do it, who you could name to another.

It''s clips like those which can end up on mainstream media such as Soccer AM etc. with your channel name at the bottom of the screen. People love to see the humane side of players, whether that''s because they are less assessable and more media savvy i don''t know, but people certainly like it, especially the younger generation which you''ll be looking to serve.

Likewise, it may even be worth hounding (Writing letters/emails etc.) people like David McNally for an interview regarding the press and his thoughts on how media (inc social media) affects the modern day player(s), staff and club as a whole, and have questions around that matter, adding in what considerations you (i.e. yourself) should make when looking at taking that career path yourself, and therefore his view on someone in your position and what they should do. Make it clear that you would value his advice as media is going through a crucial transformation, that he''s been part of himself with two big clubs.

Basically, everything you do, make sure you either have a target to where it may lead, that it establishes more viewers or it gives you some form of uniqueness. It would be great to see you achieve your goal, but more so, for your channel to be something we look forward to watching and for that to happen you need to become some kind of conduit from club to your viewers.

And one other thing, it may be worth from time to time to assess how much enjoyment you''re getting from this still, and when was the last time you was genuinely excited to put some footage up online, or has it started to be a bit of a pain editing/titles etc. Then ask yourself what kind of footage WOULD make you excited - and then work out how you''re going to get it, if you keep yourself hungry like this you can ensure that you''re on top of your game.

Anyway, thanks for what you''ve been putting up, appreciate that it takes more work than appears and hope i''ve added a bit of food for thought.

Wow, I feel under pressure to write a reply that meets that standard of your post - thanks so much.

I agree with most of your posts except the player interview ones, that could be something Iook at and talk to the club about. The club doesn''t like fans talking to players and uploading that to the internet, I got an interview with Jacob Murphy earlier in the season and got into some bother with the club - something to talk about though.

The away fans is a very good idea, that''s something I will certainly look at and hopefully get sorted, it would be interesting to see what Derby fans think of ''that little club from Norfolk''.

I''m not sure if I want to veer away from that ''reporter style'' or not. I know YouTube is mainly populated with informal speech but I''m using my channel as a portfolio to hopefully one day get a job in TV or Radio, maybe I should lighten up a bit and show more of my ''norwich fan'' style.

The intro is a very good idea and I will definitely look at making this happen, I''m sure the players would be happy for it, it''s the club that I might run into problems with.

In all though thanks so much for your feedback, one more question. What videos would you like to see on my channel? News, Fans Reactions, match previews and reviews? Interviews?

Thanks

[quote user="TalkNorwichCity"]. What videos would you like to see on my channel? News, Fans Reactions, match previews and reviews? Interviews?

Thanks[/quote]Personally, I like the reporter style - and the fan interviews are good, so in answer to the question above, I would like to see more of those, especially to include away fans as well.   There''s a Brentford fan that has a good thing going with that kind of reporting - and it helps foster  respect between fans of different clubs in the process.   Whatever you do, keep up the good work, there''s a lot of scope for developing it and making a genuine niche for yourself - and it will do your cv no harm at all.

I think the reporter style is a bit like marmite, for me it''s god practice but I understand that it''s not what everyone wants, I can''t satisfy everyone though and just hope that there is something for everyone on my channel.

Away fan interviews is certainly something I will look at, leave it with me!

Thanks again

I also think the away fans interviews are a good idea, especially if you can catch a couple after the game to give their views, hearing it from both sides always makes it interesting

[quote user="lake district canary"].....There''s a Brentford fan that has a good thing going with that kind of reporting ....[/quote]

He''s called Billy Grant and he does loads of stuff for the Beesotted fanzine. The video he put up on here when we played at Griffin Park was very good and included interviews with both sets of fans. I''m sure he wouldn''t mind if you asked him for a few tips.

Lots of sensible comments on here to give you encouragement and ideas. The away fan angle seems particularly good for as Google Bot says there''s very little coverage by the local media.

[quote user="TalkNorwichCity"]In all though thanks so much for your feedback, one more question. What videos would you like to see on my channel? News, Fans Reactions, match previews and reviews? Interviews? [/quote]

Personally for me:-

I think what you''ve done in the past with news has been pretty good, so that''s good as and when. But certainly wouldn''t be specifically going to watch your content for news... If that makes sense.... So wouldn''t see that as a primary concern.

However, if you could somehow have a debate with people (maybe via skype call) and record that, it would be much more interesting. But that''s my personal view, and may not fit what you''re about.

The interviews are good that you currently do, but honestly a lot of the time the people you interview seem like clones of one another, i think you need to approach a wider demographic (i.e. including away supporters which has been mentioned, and more randoms) and that would be (For me) the most interesting part of your channel.

I think reviews of the match are great, previews i''m not too concerned with, i say that as it probably takes you a lot of time to put a preview out, and is it worth it? But as City1st covered earlier, i think if you could take a certain perspective/focus on the game with each review it would make it much more interesting... i.e. if i''m watching your channel and you''re making me think about a certain aspect/player etc. it will engage me much more than hearing you say the same things hundreds others have posted on twitter since the final whistle.

It would also test your skills of providing impartial critique. For example, when Whittaker was being slated for being picked it would have been interesting for you to attend a match and focus on what he positivity he brings to the team, and objectively highlight his strong points. But then to finalise you can still be subjective in regards to your overall opinion.

I give this as an example, as just like with Wes it stands out when players make a mistake/misplace a pass/give away possession, but what''s not always noted is what they''re doing off the ball and for the team as a whole, deliberately setting your focus on assessing this brings much more to the table for supporters who''ve attended the match or not. Just an idea, not fully thought out, but it would definitely engage me more to see you doing something more thought out like that.

Interviews would be great if you could pull it off. If you could somehow wrangle something around a player etc. that would be great. You may strongly disagree, or not be interested in doing so, but i believe it''s the duty as a reporter to push these boundaries, I''m not sure, but i don''t think there''s a law that you cannot talk to a player if they''re willing to give you a few minutes, and it certainly shouldn''t be frowned upon by the club if it''s in the interest of the supporters. But i totally accept that it''s also unwanted hassle if you annoy the club lol. It all depends what kind of reporter you are aiming to be i guess.

If you were to give it another go and got hassle for it then the thing to do is to ask the club where the line is drawn, and explain that you''re happy to work with them to help promote the club as a whole. And that you''re looking to promote to a younger target audience who, by the nature of modern media, like to see more instant reactions and less formal player interviews.

If it all went tits up you could always do a special on being arrested and spending the night in David McNally''s personal cell for ''those who need to be taught a lesson''. ;)

So, to summarise, for me i think widening the net on fan reactions would see an immediate improvement to an already great job that you''re doing!! Maybe the player interviews thing not such a good idea if you''re wanting to play safe/live to see 20. lol :)

One other thing, i don''t have much time to take notice of the league as a whole (I mean the championship) other than a brief watch of the football league show, and even then i''m usually close to sleep!

As you''re a young lad with lots of time on your hands you probably take more interest and have better knowledge - Have you considered doing a minute or so run down on players/teams that stand out and placing this at the end of each weekly report? I know it''s Norwich content you''re pushing out, but again, it''s interesting as a viewer if you''re feeding me information i''m not picking up on elsewhere.

Wow, what a great post, and some great feedback, I have to say that I have watched some of your videos last night and think they are very good, and will only get better every time you do one. I agree with most that you should lower the background music,

The fan interviews outside the ground are a great touch and would say more of that would be great, especially getting away fans opinions would be good. The players I''m sure would be happy to a few words, as long as you don''t compromise them that club gets upset (save that for when you are working for sky).

Agree with google bot, why not do a summary on the league table and highlight teams / players you think are either making a push or falling away ?.

And finally you have to take a few no''s in life to get the big yes''s, so I would ask Mr McNally for 10 minutes, explain what you are doing and you never know where that might lead......

Good work and keep it coming.

canary world subscribers can down load the Cardiff City web page and watch a video of the entire match and any other match that Cardiff have been involved in season

"I''m not sure, but i don''t think there''s a law that you cannot talk to a player if they''re willing to give you a few minutes"but there undoubtedly be contractual stuff that will stop it, hence the club getting a bit shirty about ita word of advioce... cv''s etc are all well and good but in the main it is who you know, that''s what gets you the foot in the doorthey will be hundreds like yourself and it is up to you to get noticed - and that means maybe taking a different angle to othersmost start at the bottom so try to cultivate a ''relationship'' with local media typesbut above all work bloody hard at it, don''t be fooled by those who make it seem easy, it''s because they work exceptionally hard

another small anecdote was Billy Ccotton jnr was watching the sound checks for th evenings Royal Variety performance and after doing there''s two comics stayed behind and in one corners spend most of the afternoon slapping each other''s face .. an action they did that evening and lasted barely secondsthey were Morecombe and Wise