Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

2nd class supporters?.

Fans who don''t attend games, and I must now include myself in that bracket, are we 2nd class supporters?.

Okay I can, and do spend a small fortune at FCR main shop, supporting City that way, but its not the same as you guys who go is it now?. I read on here, even after one game your match comments, and I feel terribly left out.

No longer do my arguments have any weight to them, because in not going to games, I''m not best placed to argue my case against the real supporters.

Oh, I can fret and worry just like the rest of you will do at Carrow Road tonight, whilst listening to the radio, but its not the same is it?.

Second class supporter?, some may say no, but these days I certainly feel like it, others in my position may feel different, if so, I''d love their input, even the ''real'' supporters views are welcome.

Definitely. Ive been a Season ticket for nine seasons, but moved to Nottingham Uni last year, i managed to reach most games but it just wasnt the same when I missed some.

I missed Saturday due to other arrangements (Based on the fact that our opening game was meant to be away from home :angry but I hate giving opinions on players when I havent watched them. Ive personally been calling for Shackell, as the majority here, my mates, the papers etc have said The Doc was poor, but if I watched the game I may beg to differ!

Unfortuanetly this season Im going to get to even less games, although Ive got canaries world it still feels as though I wont be a proper supporter when I move back up for the new term, just a long-distance follower.

[quote]Blimey! You need to devise a spell to remove that mahoosive chip from your shoulder Wizard![/quote]

It did sound that way Ivor, but its a fact. Not going to games, makes you feel ''less worthy'' excuse the pun.

Yes, I know I''ve paid my dues since 1957, but still, its not the same and I don''t bloody like it!!.

When I''m in Lincoln I tend to listen to every match on Canaries World. From that I tend to form some opinions, but you can be sure they''re not as well informed as someone who goes to every game.

Nevertheless, they''re still my opinions and everyone has a right to them no matter how they are formed - I certinatly don''t think that because my opinions are less informed than someone who goes to every game that makes me a second class supporter.

It doesn''t matter whether you manage to go to the games or not (money, distance and family / work may prevent it and that is fair enough :crying but as long as you feel elated when we play well, get a win or when we sign a quality player  and distraught when we lose  then you are certainly a real supporter and always will be.

It is the emotions you feel and the fact that you can''t help caring that make you a fan.

I''m having to miss tonight''s match because night games are especially hard for me living in Bedford and I work most evenings. I''ve loaned my season ticket out to a friend tonight though.

And yes, it does make you feel like a 2nd class supporter, because truthfully and honestly; if you''re not at the game you don''t witness first hand how City played. Newspapers, match reports and radio shows all have their own spin/take on what happens, but you need to witness it yourself to really be able to have a personal, unbias opinion on it

I can also very rarely get to games, but I wouldn''t consider myself second class!

Obviously if you aren''t at the game, your can''t accurately build quality opinions on player''s performances. You just can''t tell from the radio and the 90 second highlights we get on a Sunday morning, or even the extended highlights we enjoyed last season. Thats very frustrating... but then sometimes its easier to comment on other issues with a level head, because you aren''t so pumped up with the emotion of the event.

One of the main benefits of these boards is that they unite Norwich fans wherever they might live on the planet. Just because, for whatever reason, you can''t get to games does not make you less of a fan. The fact that you post on here shows how much you care.

I agree its not the same as actually being there... but if you can''t go, you can''t go, so there is no point worrying about it! You can still support the club financially, and fight the Norwich corner when unfortunately out with Man U / Arsenal / Chelsea fans.

Wiz - I think that there are two types of supporters: those who casually go to the odd game but don''t really follow the goings on outside the saturday 3-5pm ''slot'' and perhaps equally support another team in a similar division; and those who take a real interest by going to games, putting money into the club with season tickets/memberships for countless years on end, and know what is going on around the club (and discussing what''s happening on our favourite messageboard of course!).

Who cares if you can''t go to games on a regular basis or at all? You especially have contributed the most part of 50 years to supporting Norwich, so I would say there is no need to feel less of a supporter now you''ve had to stop going to games. You''re there in spirit!
There are plenty of exiles on here (I''m one of them for most of the year, but going even further away next month), but we listen to the matches so are supporting in spirit. Of course, going to the games does give you a better insight into how people play, but I must admit I do feel that I can contribute on here a lot better when I can see the games.
At the same time, exiles can take a multitude of differing viewpoints to the match from this messageboard instead of the one provided by the press to form their opinions. For instance, Trent has brought up the issue of the Doc - I was at the match and thought he was ok...he brings some height to defence, but there were a few mistakes here and there, and he could commit himself more than Fleming for most of the match as he wasn''t on a yellow, but I was more concerned for the centre as a whole - the centre back and central midfield pairings weren''t quite right...perhaps it was early season faults that need to be ironed out - we''ll find out this evening hopefully.

Back to the original point...I may not get to lots of games every season, but there is a reason and I do support the club financially when I''m around and "spiritually" for all of the time I''m away from Norfolk; but I do not see myself as a second class supporter - only ManU, Arsenal and Chelsea have them  

[quote]It doesn''t matter whether you manage to go to the games or not (money, distance and family / work may prevent it and that is fair enough :crying but as long as you feel elated when we play well, get ...[/quote]

Absolutely, there''s more to being a fan than attending every game. You could argue that unless you attend all away games you''re not a real fan - but I don''t agree.

I supported from afar (Essex) while my daughter was young and have only been attending every game again in the last 2 years. However, in that time I have converted my husband and daughter and there are now 3 fans instead of 1. I have never felt any less of a fan and have often watched on TV wearing my colours.

Cheer up 1st Wizard, there are extenuating circumstances here!

Yeah I agree with the points made here. As I said earlier I travelled from Nottingham for most of last seasons games, and if I miss some this season it wont make me a 2nd class supporter. Just someone that wont be able to criticize or praise players without any first-hand evidence.

It does feel quite weird not picking up the EDP every morning and reading all about the canaries, but it dont mean that I dont come onto this website most days to see whats happening at carrow road!

Now then Wizard, you must not fret so.  Believe me when I tell you I understand what you are going through. A little story from me to you ( boring to others I''m sure ). I left Norwich and immigrated to Canada when I was a young man. As exciting as it was, many immigrants ( in those days ) found it hard enough to adjust to a new country and way of life, because you left England by boat, did not make much money initially and so the idea of returning quickly for any reason was not in the cards. Apart from the normal adjustment to one''s way of life, I found leaving Norwich City football team behind to be extremely difficult. I loved the Canaries from the time that I could talk and understand. When I was a teenager I used to sometimes watch their training and even sometimes run alongside the players, pretending I was part of the group. I can still clearly see Barry Butler''s face filled with sweat as the team ground out the miles. Now there was a type of centre half I would love to see in the team today. With time, naturally, the withdrawal was less difficult although I never lost my love for and interest in the club.

Now, with respect to the subject of your thread, and particularly your concern that your arguments do not have weight to them as you are not attending the games. Of course, factually, you are correct. However, as many other posters know from my input, I never let my nonattendance of games or the facts for that matter get in the way of my opinions. I must confess I felt a little more knowledgeable last season as a result of being able to see some games on television. Besides, with respect to this message board, I am on here to irritate or annoy, to amuse, to perplex and even sometimes simply to wear others down on their arguments. To have the audacity to agree or disagree on the merits of what''s occurring on the pitch without actually having seen anything is merely a bonus I award myself. Of course, you and I may be two entirely different animals. Further, it is more difficult for you because you are still geographically right there in the thick of things, but advised not to attend the games. Why don''t you make it part of your weekly itinerary to drive to Colney, allowing yourself a little distance for healthy walking, observe what is going on there, pick up a little scuttlebutt etc and use some of that input to make you feel more like a first class supporter. In the final analysis Wizard, whether one is first class or second class is a ranking that we bestow upon ourselves and, as I choose to rate myself as a first-class supporter, you certainly are entitled to put yourself above me on the list with an even higher ranking.

[quote]Now then Wizard, you must not fret so. Believe me when I tell you I understand what you are going through. A little story from me to you ( boring to others I''m sure ). I left Norwich and immigrated t...[/quote]

Many thanks to Yankee Canary and the other posters who took the trouble to reply, and I shall certainly take heed of your wise words.

Yankee''s reference to Barry Butler, was most poignant, God, do we need his like now!.

Onwards and upwards, yes?.

Wiz

I haven''t been to a game for a long while now - do I feel second rate as a supporter?  Do I heck!

I still rush for teletext/Sky/5 Live etc - I still get that hairs on the back of your neck feeling when I hear the opening bars of Sports Report at 5pm on Saturday (brings back memories of hurrying back to the car with my Dad parked up at the Old AA building on Thorpe Road!)...I devour the reports in the paper, on the internet.  OK so I don''t witness the games in their entirety unless they are shown live - but does that make me any less worthy (apologies for the pun!)?

No it doesn''t - you and thousands like you love City and you''ll love City until you draw your last breath...you''ve got your opinions and boy it''s good to be able to express them so freely!  So consider yourself a FIRST CLASS supporter - with your opinions and obvious love of the club you deserve to be seen as nothing less.