Sign in to follow this  
Winning 25

Quick/mobile (Craig Fleming-esque) Centre Back Suggestions?

Listening to Greg Downs on Canary Call last saturday. He suggested that we''ve never replicated the Mackay/ Fleming CB partnership of 10 years ago. Stating that we haven''t a player, 5''10/ 5''11, who is quick to cover the more commanding, but slower and less mobile, central defender (we have 5 or 6 of them.)
If R.Martin is to be primarily playing right back. Who might we be able to bring in to stop teams running right through the middle of us? 

I would disagree with downs

Malky and flem had an amazing season with Eddie and drury but Bassong and turner was good. I also remember how flem was out of his depth in the premier and malky would have been an embarrassing starter.

Whitbread and Barnett were good.

For norwich I would like us to look at a commanding centre half, and a Pacey centre half... We need to look at players, I did like mancienne, but he moved to forest

I think with Neil in he will look to Scotland and to where our scouts suggest.

To be honest I have no idea what Neil''s transfer record is and what style of player he will look.

But the keys from our promotions in the 80''s was that we bought the best players in the championship, let''s see what Neil does bring in. We need to and they need to be players that can perform at the level above, that is our aim

As I said on another thread, I think Downs is a bit wide of the mark. You don''t see many sides with either of their central defenders under 6ft.

I don''t see how anyone could come in to the first team at CB and immediately establish themselves in that position.  On paper we have the players to do well there.  Our best combination in terms of mobility and skill are Martin and Bassong imo.  If we could get in an extra right back as competition for that position, putting Martin in the middle with Bassong, is I believe the  best chance of establishing a strong back four.  But we need Bassong at his best and the two of them to be communicating well and organising the defence around them well.  

Martin is not a bloody centre back, how many times do we have to see him being outta position, getting caught under the ball before we realise he isnt a centre back.

In my eyes Cuellar, Hooiveld & Turner are all of similar build, pace etc and just cant be partnered together.

I would like to see what a Bennett Bassong combo can do but i dunno whether we will ever see that.

[quote user="smooth"] For norwich I would like us to look at a commanding centre half, and a Pacey centre half... We need to look at players, I did like mancienne, but he moved to forest

I think with Neil in he will look to Scotland and to where our scouts suggest.

To be honest I have no idea what Neil''s transfer record is and what style of player he will look.

But the keys from our promotions in the 80''s was that we bought the best players in the championship, [/quote]
I like the Michael Mancienne suggestions smooth. He has also scored high on who''s scored.com, but like you said he''s recently moved to Forest.
Looking on the Hamilton forum, acciesworld.com, for info on our new manager.  "His team plays a high pressing, tempo game, based on quick passing and an attacking mentality. If you check out the highlights you will see that when the ball comes into the box, there are frequently 4 players in there waiting. This is because he uses his midfield to move forward fast. There is long passing of course, but no ''hit and hope'' nonsense."
I think if Neil is to play a high pressing game, a pacey centre back is a priority

[quote user="CJRV 2014"]Martin is not a bloody centre back, how many times do we have to see him being outta position, getting caught under the ball before we realise he isnt a centre back.

In my eyes Cuellar, Hooiveld & Turner are all of similar build, pace etc and just cant be partnered together.

I would like to see what a Bennett Bassong combo can do but i dunno whether we will ever see that.[/quote]

Martin is a CB and he is a RB too.  Get used to it.  How many of our goals against have been down to Martin at CB?  Wolves away is the only one I can think of where he  could have maybe done better. Turner has been found wanting on more than one occasion though - so is he not a centre back then?? 

Would be nice to go back to the Turner/Bassong combo. It kept out some of the best teams and players in the country. It could be as good as you''ll see in the Champs.

NCFC don''t have two better central defenders and they haven''t for several years.

[quote user="lake district canary"] If we could get in an extra right back as competition for that position, putting Martin in the middle with Bassong, is I believe the  best chance of establishing a strong back four.  But we need Bassong at his best and the two of them to be communicating well and organising the defence around them well.  

[/quote]
I feel Martin has to play right back, as he is very good going forward in the championship and links up well with Redmond. I don''t think we could do better than Martin at right back in the championship. I do feel he lack''s the aggression needed to form a a strong CB partnership though.
[quote user="lake district canary"]I don''t see how anyone could come in to the first team at CB and immediately establish themselves in that position.  On paper we have the players to do well there.  Our best combination in terms of mobility and skill are Martin and Bassong imo.     

[/quote]
I feel if it''s the right player with the right attitude, it would be more beneficial than keeping Bassong in or around the team.

Whatever the strengths/qualities of Bassong were, are, or might be, it is far too much of a risk to bring him back in now. Is he fit, is his head right, is he still capable, is he quick enough, is he the answer - too many questions that can only get answered if he gets selected.Trouble is that we don''t have the luxury of enough games to find out. Make a mistake by taking a chance with him and he doesn''t deliver then it could cost us dearly.

There''s a few options:

Wigan - Barnet or Ridgewell

Blackburn - Hanley (doubt they''d sell him, also would cost a bit)

Reading - A. Pearce

Notts Forrest - Lascelles

--

Realistic signings:

Harry Maquire from Hull on loan. Would be my choice.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Whatever the strengths/qualities of Bassong were, are, or might be, it is far too much of a risk to bring him back in now.
Is he fit, is his head right, is he still capable, is he quick enough, is he the answer - too many questions that can only get answered if he gets selected.
Trouble is that we don''t have the luxury of enough games to find out.
Make a mistake by taking a chance with him and he doesn''t deliver then it could cost us dearly.
[/quote]

Though you could argue that we haven''t found anything that really works since Bassong was taken out of the picture. So how much worse off would we be even if he wasn''t at his best?

[quote user="mrs miggins"]John Soutter has just come to mind, would be a fantastic signing, I think that''s also a doable deal.[/quote]

would he be too young?

Good shout though as he is Scottish, so maybe AN is looking at him and perhaps even have a good change of signing him.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]There''s a few options: Wigan - Barnet or Ridgewell Blackburn - Hanley (doubt they''d sell him, also would cost a bit) Reading - A. Pearce Notts Forrest - Lascelles -- Realistic signings: Harry Maquire from Hull on loan. Would be my choice.[/quote]
Hanley isn''t in the best form recently is he? Blackburn fans don''t seem to rate him. Slow turning circle, not what we need.
Lascelles- Think he''s moving to Newcastle at the end of the season. A done double deal along with their goalkeeper for 7 million.
Harry Maquire, yes agreed. Unable to get in the team at Hull, but with the injuries they''ve had this season, doubtful he''ll be allowed to leave.
Alex Pearce- Liverpool supposedly interest in him as a replacement for skrtel a year or so ago. Do Reading need to sell?
Leon Barnett- Good player but too many mistakes in him, which make him not good enough imo. Great in the air, but feel we need a rock in terms of pace, fitness, organisation, position awareness, intercepting and making crucial tackles. Spend 5 million on this player if we have to, as it could be vital come the end of season.
[quote user="mrs miggins"]John Soutter has just come to mind, would be a fantastic signing, I think that''s also a doable deal.[/quote]
Is he ready to step up? Sunderland and Everton were rumoured to be interest in him in the past.  Turned down Sunderland, because he didn’t want to become another lost Scottish star down south.

It''s a difficult one because it''s not like Mancienne for example is much good either, very weak in the air, switches off a lot. Can''t think of many others though atm. Though I hear Pardew is looking for a CB at Palace so Scott Dann could be available, he''s a good solid defender, would probably go to another prem club though and would cost a fair bit.

Craig Dawson from West Brom, he played in the championship a few season ago for some club where he looked very handy. He would be a good signing, but I think he''s played a few times for West Brom this season, however, with a new manager that they have it could change.

Bruno Manga would be an unlikely signing from Cardiff, but a very good one. He did only come to Cardiff at the start of this year, but you never know - swap deal with Bassong?

That would be the ideal situation TGWOT but there is a big doubt over whether he will come back, as we all know. As you say, by looking at this thread, there doesn''t seem to be many alternatives, which is a bit worrying because we need some fresh blood in that centre back position, as well as left midfield.