Sign in to follow this  
ruthers1

Martin the Mute

A leader, a leader, my kingdom for a leader! Must have been Alex Neils thoughts watching the meek manner we allowed them back into the game second half.

A couple of assists? Yes. A reasonable Championshio player? Definitely. A model professional? Undoubtedly. A leader of men? Absolutely not.

Sweet FA from our ''captain'' second half, not a word of encouragement or a shout in anger or even a shake of the fist in response to us completely losing the plot.

I hope AN has a suitable lieutenant he can poach from Hamilton in this window or he may have to lace up his boots and play for the first team after all!

Often I read that fans want a leader who leads by example, well he sure did that yesterday, on many ocassions he was overlapping Redmond, or was even up field before him and frequently ahead of our midfiled, must of covered a few miles. Then as you say, he got 2 assists.

There are many ways to be a leader and you can be a good leader without shouting and hollering. That said different styles suit different circumstances.

I was not close enough to see, or hear, but how much shouting did AN do? If he did shout and holler, it appeared the players weren''t taking much notice, so may be shouting and fist pumping wasn''t the answer?

I hear what you say Ray but there is leading by example like Russell Martin does ie playing neat, controlled, and steady football or leading by example like a certain Grant Holt used to for us back in the day.

There is a massive difference between the two and in the absence of a Holty type character in the current squad it is surely a leader in the traditional sense of the word that we so desperately need AN to either identify and promote from within or bring in from another club.

Martin had a good game at right back - his best game for us in several weeks and showed the difference between him and whittaker.

As far as the second half is concerned the whole team got sloppy for the 5 mins before they scored. The other 10 players as well as martin have a responsibility to recognise and address that.

Leadership does NOT just come from the captain and you dont need a captains armband to show leadership.

We do have an issue about inadequate on pitch leadership (looks like hughton may have been right about needing a different pitch and club captain? but chose the wrong man) However we dont have that in the squad, which is hardly Martins fault, or something that we can resolve this jan window. An additional challenge for AN to address this summer

As for holt yes he was visibly great, but also had the advantage that his team had leadership through it from Martin, Drury, Ward, Crofts etc who all picked the team up when needed.

that depth is missing

When i saw the 2nd goal go in, the monent the players walked back up the pitch for kick off i saw Ruddy having a go at Martin whilst pointing at Cuellar i think, Martin almost just shrugged his shoulders and kept walking. I dont see him as a captain who leads, doesnt gee people up or have a go at players despite constant defensive errors.

For long periods yesterday, it seemed to me that O''Neil was the de facto captain. He appeared to be the one taking instructions from the bench and relaying them to the players . Perhaps it''s easier to do that from a midfield position, but I would strongly agree that there have been times this season when a strongarm type captain would not have gone amiss.

Not sure it matters which position the captain plays, but must be strong and a great communicator. If you look at the Steve Gerrards, or John Terry''s, they are always clapping others, encouraging or shouting, but always communicating.Isd Martin that?

[quote user="Samwam27"]Not sure it matters which position the captain plays, but must be strong and a great communicator. If you look at the Steve Gerrards, or John Terry''s, they are always clapping others, encouraging or shouting, but always communicating.Isd Martin that?[/quote]I don''t think he is. But then do true leaders, players who will be great communicators and drive their team on, need to be given an armband to start showing that potential? I think that''s something for Neil to be looking for in the transfer market. Someone in the mold of Terry, Gerrard, et. al. who will be willing to do this. Or hire Paul McKenna to hypnotise them, both are good.

I am fast coming to the conclusion that Russell Martin is a thoroughly decent chap who epitomises ''Nice Club Norwich'' - and that''s a significant part of the problem!

I have little doubt he is capable of becoming a First Team Manager one day; he''s a top communicator and seems to have time for others.

However, right now Norwich need a bit of zip, a bit more pazazz and should Alex Neil opt for a ''mirror image'' appointment as his on-field team captain, then Russell Martin is likely to lose out.

Successful managers often have a captain who can  help implement their instructions when it matters most - during the game. Think Billy Bremner for Don Revie, think Roy Keane for Sir Alex Ferguson and you''ll get what I mean. Now consider what our own newly-appointed ''Sir Alex'' seems to value; does Russell Martin seem a good fit?  Personally I very much doubt it!...

Never underestimate the influence of our Captain, whilst he may not shout and holler, IMO you may be surprised how much he influenced the Bournemouth game.

A manager in the making and a guy who is quite happy to let others take the credit. Possibly the best thing to have happened to NCFC in many a year

You using your in depth knowledge of what is going on in the club again Ray!

Leadership on a football pitch needs to be instant visible and loud. He shows none of that

A great communicator but a poor leader. I agree Oneil or ruddy should be the captain.

Ps he is also a right back not a centre back

I would expect a man with the experience and qualities of. Ruddy to be dominating his defenders. Some of his

uncharacteristic indecision and fumbling is based on his lack of confidence and a lack of understanding between himself and those in front of him. I am surprised he does not do more to sort the back four out.

[quote user="Canary Island"]You using your in depth knowledge of what is going on in the club again Ray!

Leadership on a football pitch needs to be instant visible and loud. He shows none of that

A great communicator but a poor leader. I agree Oneil or ruddy should be the captain.

Ps he is also a right back not a centre back[/quote]

So only one style of captain is allowed..visual & noisy. What rubbish. One of our best skippers was Mike Phelan & is style was neither of those. Don''t recall too many complaining about Adam Drury in the Championship winning season. Equally There have been some lousy noisy visual captains, Fozzy anyone?

Canary Island,

Sometimes you need to read between the lines, which of course implies a certain amount of vision and nous is needed!!

[quote user="Ray"]  Possibly the best thing to have happened to NCFC in many a year[/quote]

Russell Martin?

Let''s continue the theme:

Russell Martin possibly the best thing to have happened to NCFC in many a year.

Carlsberg probably the best lager in the world.

Any more?