Sign in to follow this  
Lewis Esquire

Patronising the Fans

And Bor Bor Bor I give you West Brom.

Reduce the number of "match categories" to two. A and B. Making the average game more affordable. Whilst McNally decided to introduce a further A* category.

Increase the "age brackets" making games more affordable for young people. Whilst McNally decided to abolish the Under 21 category for casual tickets.

Cut casual ticket prices by 5%. Whilst McNally continues to increase the price of ours.

Cut adult season tickets by £50.

West Brom done all this after their best finish in the Premier League. A season in which their ground was 96% fully subscribed. They''ve froze the prices ever since. I think the average West Brom season ticket is around £300. How long have they been in the Premier League now?

I think a fairer comparison would be with another relegated team, not with a team that''s just received many millions, and in an area like Birmingham (jobs/unemployment etc)

My point is West Broms ground was 96% fully subscribed prior to the price cuts.

They had no reasons for the reductions other than to help out loyal fans.

Funny how STAN makes no reference for you having the ability to pay for your season ticket in instalments by direct debit. How many others in the 92 offer that facility I wonder and before you say it yes I am aware there is a set up fee for that also but spread over 12 months how many pence a week does that work out at ? Somebody has to manage the system.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]What did you want them to do Lewis, announce that "sorry the football''s been a bit iffy over the last two seasons, and we''ve decided not to put the prices up as an apology?"It''s supporting versus consuming again, isn''t it?  A supporter turns up to support the team and get behind them, not mither about the cost of a season ticket relative to the quality of the "product" being sold.  I don''t get why people hand over money and then complain about the cost, when they could just not hand the money over - or they don''t buy a season ticket but want to complain about the cost anyway, which is, frankly, ridiculous.You''re nothing to do with Esquire barbers are you, Lewis?  Only I hate having to wait 45 minutes for a haircut while lots of barbers with apparently nothing to do wander back and forth through the shop.  Can you fix that for me?[/quote]The supporter/customer split here is a false dichotomy. The logic of that is that a "supporter" can never complain about being ripped off. It also misses a point, which is not to do with some subjective judgment on the quality of football but that no account seemed to have been taken this time last year, when setting prices, of the distinct chance that we might be relegated. In other words we are concerned with the objective fact of the standard of football. So, even bearing in mind the extra games, fans have been paying what look very much like Premier League prices for Championship football. And could well be again next season.

I guess its up to the individual whether they feel they get VFM. I''m certainly in the VFM camp as I can''t think of another £43 pm an could enjoy more. Of course I''d love it to be £20 pm. Would be even more VFM then!

But what I don''t understand is how the VFM can be calculated by what division the club is playing in. For me, simply because there are more games, there''s probably more VFM this season.

Nutty, McNally told us himself PL football meant we had to pay higher prices. Supply and demand and all that malarkey. It''s amazing how many die hard fans we gained whilst playing Arsenal.

Stan, McNally has told us time and time again that the club is run as a mutual meaning all money goes to football. The fantastic attendances we get has helped finance the promotion push. Hopefully its successful and we get back to the PL asap. Then we can pay even more and not enjoy it so much. Because much of the enjoyment of playing in the PL is the getting there. The reality of striving to avoid relegation every season is not such VFM as achieveng PL status. But that''s the price of our ambition and the reality of the structure of our domestic leagues.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Stan, McNally has told us time and time again that the club is run as a mutual meaning all money goes to football. The fantastic attendances we get has helped finance the promotion push. Hopefully its successful and we get back to the PL asap. Then we can pay even more and not enjoy it so much. Because much of the enjoyment of playing in the PL is the getting there. The reality of striving to avoid relegation every season is not such VFM as achieveng PL status. But that''s the price of our ambition and the reality of the structure of our domestic leagues.[/quote]Nutty, I know he has said that but that doesn''t exactly make it true! Norwich City plc does not fit any description of a mutual company I have come across. All companies aim to plough profits back into the core business. That isn''t mutuality.

Indeed Purple. But at least it does happen and the profits are untouched despite the claims about money grabbing shareholders that are often made on here.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I guess its up to the individual whether they feel they get VFM. I''m certainly in the VFM camp as I can''t think of another £43 pm an could enjoy more. Of course I''d love it to be £20 pm. Would be even more VFM then!

But what I don''t understand is how the VFM can be calculated by what division the club is playing in. For me, simply because there are more games, there''s probably more VFM this season.[/quote]Only £30 pm for us old timers[Y][B][<:o)][:D]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Yeah Rickyyyyyyyy. But you have to rush home and write a report while I get to go to the pub......[/quote]Very true, but Mrs Ricardo has a lovely dinner waiting and I get to argue with Lakey and all.[:D]

And I get to listen to Tilly''s match report. But on the plus side mrs nutty doesn''t cook and I get fish & chips from Stafford Street on the way home...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]And I get to listen to Tilly''s match report. But on the plus side mrs nutty doesn''t cook and I get fish & chips from Stafford Street on the way home...[/quote]

What a Saturday night, it just could not get any better. 

There''s 2 seperate points on this thread.

First of all the pay freeze. It''s actually embarrassing to see it being dressed up as it is, and I''m not exactly sure the point they are trying to make. As said earlier in the thread, it''s PL money for Championship football, however nobody is forced to renew.

Much more interesting is the VFM debate. Last season we had 19 games of mostly poor football. Teams come to Carrow Road for a point and we couldn''t score to save our lives. Saturday afternoons became a chore. However, for 4/5 games you get to see some of the world''s best players.

This season, we have 23 games. We currently have seen at least 5 more goals than any other set of fans, we have great wins and demoralizing defeats. Each game you never know what''s going to happen.

So what is better value for money? Surely based on the passion, excitement etc it has to be the Championship every time?

I did smile a bit when I saw that the club deciding not to charge us more for a worse standard of football was being spun as a ''reward''.

Although they were hardly going to lower the price if they know we will continue to sell them out.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]Stop feckin moaning about our club, any little chance to have a gripe and off they bleedin well go.

Pathetic, really pathetic!![/quote]

Well you could offer to pay £5,000 for your season ticket.

If its patronising or embarrassing, and gets on your wick so much, don''t renew. Simple.

Some ridiculous & hypocritical comments on here, not least "if you don''t like it don''t go" vein.

People have opinions on all sorts of things without participating and rightly so, just watch the news and see if you don''t do the same. Unbelievable.

Just because a person pays the nominated fee does not justify the clubs decision as being either correct nor fair.

I swear some people on here are swinging yay to nay just for the purpose of being controversial. It''s pathetic and below the considered standards this board does often display.

I for one, despite how some might detest that I have the nerve to have an opinion opposite to theirs, am in the increase/decrease camp.

The club used the reasoning of promotion to increase prices then they should have decreased them on relegation but they didn''t. Using unbiased judgement that makes it unfair.

Ergo to use the lack of an increase now as if were some sort of reward loyal fans is unjustifiable and even an insult to our understanding and ability to make sound reasoning. It''s like saying "I saw your car parked there overnight but didn''t vandalise it so give me credit".

IMO

[quote user="scoop"]Some ridiculous & hypocritical comments on here, not least "if you don''t like it don''t go" vein. People have opinions on all sorts of things without participating and rightly so, just watch the news and see if you don''t do the same. Unbelievable. Just because a person pays the nominated fee does not justify the clubs decision as being either correct nor fair. I swear some people on here are swinging yay to nay just for the purpose of being controversial. It''s pathetic and below the considered standards this board does often display. I for one, despite how some might detest that I have the nerve to have an opinion opposite to theirs, am in the increase/decrease camp. The club used the reasoning of promotion to increase prices then they should have decreased them on relegation but they didn''t. Using unbiased judgement that makes it unfair. Ergo to use the lack of an increase now as if were some sort of reward loyal fans is unjustifiable and even an insult to our understanding and ability to make sound reasoning. It''s like saying "I saw your car parked there overnight but didn''t vandalise it so give me credit". IMO[/quote]

These mixed messages you''re sending the club are not helping, if you pay the price regardless and don''t tell them directly you''re part of the problem.

Donkey dangler wrote the following post at 22/01/2015 2:27 AM:

Mr Jenkins wrote:
Stop feckin moaning about our club, any little chance to have a gripe and off they bleedin well go.

Pathetic, really pathetic!!

Well you could offer to pay £5,000 for your season ticket.

Are you some sort of nutter? Another one looking to find any excuse to have a go at the club.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]

For Gawds sake

Can anyone remember how much the season ticket was, the last time we were in the Championship?

[/quote]If that is a serious question, my seat in the Jarrold (before first deadline) in 2010-11 in the Championship was £450. For this season in the same division and for the next (if we don''t get promoted or relegated) it is £560.50. That is a rise of £110.50 or 24.5 per cent. If you include the academy donation in this season''s price my seast was £579.50, making a £129.50 or 28.7 per cent rise.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]..... on the plus side mrs nutty doesn''t cook and I get fish & chips from Stafford Street on the way home...[/quote]

Do you mean Mrs Nutty won''t be cooking in a '' Thank God '' kind of way ?

Ah, Stafford St chippy......forget the game, all those post-match pontifications from Tilly, Ricardo''s match report ,etc, etc

Now you''re talking heaven....

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="nutty nigel"]..... on the plus side mrs nutty doesn''t cook and I get fish & chips from Stafford Street on the way home...[/quote]

Do you mean Mrs Nutty won''t be cooking in a '' Thank God '' kind of way ?

Ah, Stafford St chippy......forget the game, all those post-match pontifications from Tilly, Ricardo''s match report ,etc, etc

Now you''re talking heaven....[/quote]Lovely old job, its Rickkky''s local chippy and only a short stroll up the road.Best F & C in Norwich.[Y]