Sign in to follow this  
Lewis Esquire

Patronising the Fans

I, like many of you, were at the game on Saturday.

It was announced that, as NCFC were celebrating 80 years at Carrow Road, the fans would be rewarded with a price freeze on Season Tickets for the 2015/16 season...

Oooo Goody! A price freeze!

All because our team hasn''t moved grounds for 80 odd years? Heaven forbid that us fans would be rewarded for paying out our hard-earned money to watch some of the most uninspiring football this club has seen for many years (Pre Alex Neil)....

Don''t get me wrong, I am more optimistic since Alex Neil''s arrival and who knows we may be in the league above next year, I just feel the way the ''price freeze'' has been marketed as a ''reward'' for the fans is really insulting... We as a collective have sat through two years of negative performance after negative performance with Hughton and Adams in charge, and personally, I feel, however ridiculously unlikely, a slight discount would have been more appreciated. It''s no different to offering refunds to away fans when your team just don''t turn up or show any passion.

It''s not necessarily about any discount, I just found the whole ''dressed up'' price freeze quite patronising.

Price are frozen.

The stadium is 80 years old...

Why pair the two up and claim it as a reward to the loyal supporters... It doesn''t even make sense.

I don''t feel patronised in the slightest, and will happily receive the price freeze, I don''t see any reason to sneer at it.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this, or whether I feel patronised, I tend to agree with Lewis''s fundamental point in questioning the need to dress this price freeze up as a "Carrow Rd 80th anniversary special".Looking at it from both a football and economic point of view, it''s clear that the board had little option but to hold prices.There has been relegation.The football on offer over the last year has been very patchy.Promotion back is very much in the balanceInflation is currently running at 0.5%Wage rises have been running behind inflation for some time nowSo, what in that lot would have justified a ST price hike ?Could not the board have just announced the prises have been held, without some silly arbitrary excuse ?All rather redolent of the manner in which too many companies communicate in a dumbed down tone these days .

I will enjoy it, thank you Lewis. I buy 3 season tickets so not having to pay any more for them next season is fine news by me. And if we attain promotion, it will seem even more of a bargain.

No, the club didn''t have to link the price freeze with the 80th anniversary, but does it really matter? Its individual choice whether to renew or not, no one is forcing anyone. And, invariably if the prices go up, folks will grumble a bit, but likely renew anyway.

Its time people saw the difference between being a customer and a fan, to be honest.

Stop feckin moaning about our club, any little chance to have a gripe and off they bleedin well go.

Pathetic, really pathetic!!

I don''t know why people are so gullible as to swallow these kind of promotions as being special in any way.   The club is giving nothing away in this and it is not offering anything.    It is a business and is marketing it in the best way it knows how - by trying to make out its doing something for the fans, whereas in fact it is doing nothing other than what it had to do by not increasing prices.  A real "80th Anniversary" special would have been to knock £80 of the price off a season ticket.  (cost c. £160,000 for a season) or offer 80 free season tickets in a draw (cost £40,000).  

Perhaps the marketing department, thinking it can get away with anything, will get fans to sing "happy birthday" to Carrow Rd on its anniversary with a promise that if we do, it will allow all fans to pay a special rate of £3.00 for a programme .....................oh.......

I think that if you can provide ticket stubbs to show that you''ve been to Carrow Rd on each of the 80 years you can have a discount of 20% or 50% if your aaplication is delivered in person by either of your grandparents.

We all signed up on the basis that if we were relegated we wouldn''t recieve a rebate. So this season we''re paying "premiership prices" for championship football, are we not?

I believe we had the 6th highest average season ticket price in the Premier League last season. Clubs all around us continue to decrease season ticket prices and offer bumper family deals. Yet down at Carrow Road we should all jump up and down and applaud a price freeze?

It makes me laugh how some people are blindly delighted about Mr Mcnally milking our loyal fans.

Upon relegation to League 1 I let the club keep my rebate. Now in 2015 I look at the "academy donation option" and nearly end up on the floor in fits of laughter. If you''re treating fans like consumers then why should you expect charity? How many of you make a donation to Tesco''s each year?

My favourite McNally quote is "for every fan who can''t afford the price hike their''s a new fan waiting for a seat, I don''t care".

It''ll be interesting to see how many of these "new fans" don''t renew as we''re no longer in the Premier League.

lake district canary wrote the following post at 21/01/2015 5:37 PM:

"I don''t know why people are so gullible as to swallow these kind of promotions as being special in any way."

Who are these gullible people?

Now then Squit. You''re nearly on the money with that. But those who went to that first game 80 years ago are getting a free season ticket next season. I know this is fact because Til1010 has already received the official communication.....

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]lake district canary wrote the following post at 21/01/2015 5:37 PM:

"I don''t know why people are so gullible as to swallow these kind of promotions as being special in any way."

Who are these gullible people?[/quote]

Anyone who thinks that the "promotion" is an any way meaningful.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]It''s meaningfull in that the prices have not gone up, what''s wrong with that?[/quote]

They should have gone down

the promotion is meaningless

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]It''s meaningfull in that the prices have not gone up, what''s wrong with that?[/quote]

As has been said, it would have been very difficult in the current climate to justify putting the prices up, but yes, it is  meaningful in the sense prices haven''t gone up.  It is, however,  completely lacking in meaning in any other way -  ie connecting to something like the 80th anniversary of CR in such a token way.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]Why should they have gone down?[/quote]

dont know what happened there meant to say could

My personal favourites are the "rounding up of food prices to reduce queue times" and the "administration fee" for the pleasure of purchasing a ticket.

We really are bunch idiots.

Before you know it we''ll be getting frisked for Morisons pies on the turnstiles and being charged a quid to have a slash.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mr Jenkins"]lake district canary wrote the following post at 21/01/2015 5:37 PM:

Anyone who thinks that the "promotion" is an any way meaningful.

[/quote]

f*ck me ! You changed your tone since I said something similar ,, at that point we should all be grateful to have the chance of watching whatever the cost .

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mr Jenkins"]lake district canary wrote the following post at 21/01/2015 5:37 PM:

Anyone who thinks that the "promotion" is an any way meaningful.[/quote]

f*ck me ! You changed your tone since I said something similar ,, at that point we should all be grateful to have the chance of watching whatever the cost .[/quote]

No I just don''t like things being dressed up as something they are not.

it''s as much any relevance to you El Dissyas the price of a comb is to a bald man

personally I would like to see the club have a guest of honour, one who can remember when Carrow Road didn''t even have terraces and fans just stood on earth banks

.... admiring the view of the cathedral

curiously enough one end of the ground was named after the chap who paid for some steps to be put up,so you could get to the topBarclays bank

[quote user="STAN"]My personal favourites are the "rounding up of food prices to reduce queue times" and the administration fee for the pleasure of purchasing a ticket. We really are bunch idiots. Before you know it we''ll be getting frisked for Morisons pies on the turnstiles and being charged a quid to have a slash.[/quote]

Obviously you have never gone online and booked tickets for concerts or the theatre, never booked flights with an airline etc STAN. It is standard practise and I am not saying I agree with it but it is the way it is these days. Ever thought that the admin fee covers the cost of stationary and postage to get the tickets to you when you book online ?

What did you want them to do Lewis, announce that "sorry the football''s been a bit iffy over the last two seasons, and we''ve decided not to put the prices up as an apology?"It''s supporting versus consuming again, isn''t it?  A supporter turns up to support the team and get behind them, not mither about the cost of a season ticket relative to the quality of the "product" being sold.  I don''t get why people hand over money and then complain about the cost, when they could just not hand the money over - or they don''t buy a season ticket but want to complain about the cost anyway, which is, frankly, ridiculous.You''re nothing to do with Esquire barbers are you, Lewis?  Only I hate having to wait 45 minutes for a haircut while lots of barbers with apparently nothing to do wander back and forth through the shop.  Can you fix that for me?

Yes TIL I''m well aware other organisations use an "administration fee" but as I said in in earlier post I don''t agree with "our" football club milking fans for every last penny.

NCFC isn''t British Airways.

Besides i''m pretty sure an envelope and a pre paid postage stamp doesn''t amount to £1.50 or whatever the petty fee is.

Most clubs are just thankful for selling a ticket, yet Mr Mcnally has to squeeze the udder one last time.