Sign in to follow this  
Since 1980

Lambert worse than Hughton

Last year we only scored 28 goals in PL under CH. This year Villa have so far only scored a paltry 11. Seems AV just can''t score. Lambert used to be all about goals. It ain''t working this time. I wonder if Villa will score even fewer than we did come end of season.

Paul Lambert is the best manager in our history. I don''t get the people who try and make these weird points that really tell us nothing. Lambert left the club over two years ago. Some people really need to let it go.

He did great here, went to Villa and isn''t doing so great. End of story.

It''s a very difficult league which can force many teams to adopt and defensive and dull strategy, the open exciting attacking football just doesn''t work unless you have the money to pull it off.

But it isn''t then end of the story, though; is it? It''s interesting to compare how he is doing elsewhere with what he accomplished here. It gives us further information to benchmark our respective achievements. Was our success during that period really all down to PL or was it, as I would contend, a combination of factors? Fans set so much stall by which manager they want appointing (as we have witnessed twice over the past year) and yet this helps to show that the man in the hot seat isn''t necessarily the most vital ingredient. Perhaps PL only achieved what he did with us because of Culverhouse and Karsa? Perhaps it was because he had such a great captain on the pitch? Perhaps it was the culture of the club as a whole (which so many people on this forum knock). Perhaps there are dozens of small contributory factors beyond the skill and personality of the manager. Comparing how he subsequently fares at other clubs gives us some additional perspectives by which to judge what is happening at our club right now. Are we really looking for a new Paul Lambert (perhaps we''ve already found him), or are we needing to tweak other elements around the Club to recapture what we had before?

Why be parochial and insular? We can judge from following his achievements elsewhere whether he really was the great manager you assert or whether his incumbency merely coincided with other factors that propelled us from League 1 to mid-table Premier League so spectacularly.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Paul Lambert is the best manager in our history. I don''t get the people who try and make these weird points that really tell us nothing. Lambert left the club over two years ago. Some people really need to let it go.

He did great here, went to Villa and isn''t doing so great. End of story.[/quote]

you clearly aren''t old enough to remember Mike Walker and what he achieved if you think Lambert was our best manager ever.

For me John Bond was the best with Lambert and Walker closely behind. Ken Brown and Dave Stringer weren''t so bad either.

These are the good ones. We''ve had some shockers as well.

totally different contexts. Lambert is now isolated with none of his own people around him as they have all been fired. Struggle to feel sorry for him though.

Cut the wage bill, bleeding youth, signed some good players and been without benteke for large parts. He''s kept them up too, he inherited absolute dross from mccleish.

A level headed villa fan I work with likes him and thinks peoples heads are in the clouds with expectations.

Amazes me tht people speak fonder of Hughton than they do Lambert. Can''t even compare the two.

[quote user="Canary Island"]worst case of trolling i have seen on this board in years[/quote]
You don''t own a mirror then?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Amazes me that people speak fonder of Hughton than they do Lambert. Can''t even compare the two.[/quote]
Certainly can''t, Hughton had a much tougher job than Lambert, very unfair on Hughton to try and compare when circumstances are completely different.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Paul Lambert is the best manager in our history. I don''t get the people who try and make these weird points that really tell us nothing. Lambert left the club over two years ago. Some people really need to let it go.

He did great here, went to Villa and isn''t doing so great. End of story.[/quote]

you clearly aren''t old enough to remember Mike Walker and what he achieved if you think Lambert was our best manager ever.[/quote]

Mike Walker achieved well, of that there is no doubt, but his success was down to years of building, arguably back to John Bond, through Ken Brown then taken up a level by Stringer - then Walker who bore the fruits of years of development - and it was great.   Lambert though, came in and virtually from nothing turned the well being of the club around from down and nearly out, to financial security and top level football - him and Grant Holt, anyway.....

Lambert is now imo like a fish out of water.  Unable to bring in players and not able to play in a free competitive style that he would like, having to scrap for the odd point by keeping a tight defence.   Totally foreign to what he would like.  Would be better off dropping a division again - like Hughton has had to do.  I wouldn''t mind betting that Hughton will prove the better long term manager of the two - he has a method and way of working that will suit a lot of clubs - especially championship clubs - and apart from Norwich - where lets face it he had similar problems to a lot of lower premiership clubs - his sides have been free scoring amd entertaining. 

You can''t directly compare Lambert and Walkers achievements. Lambert achieved what he did with us in a much tougher era for teams outside the top 7/8. Mouriniho wouldn''t be able to get us to third in the current climate, neither would any other manager with our massive financial and geographical disadvantage we face in the top flight.

For me Lambert was better, he was the luckiest manager I''ve ever known by some distance, but you can''t deny what he achieved with us and he''s done reasonably with Villa to be fair with the constraints he''d had to work under. He also has a completely different set of players, budget and objective at Villa than he had with us. Villa need a new owner and to completely build the playing squad up again (Which Lambert has started) they could be doing much worse to be fair

As for Hughton, wrong man for the wrong club at the wrong time with completely the wrong set of players. He, like Lambert is a decent manager, but considering his preferred playing style and our failures in the transfer market over the last couple of years it left him with no chance. To this day I have no idea what he and our scouts were thinking with RVW and to a lesser extent Elmander.

Hughton needed a lot of time, patience and chances to recover from mistakes to be a success here, but he was never going to get that with his play style

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Paul Lambert is the best manager in our history. I don''t get the people who try and make these weird points that really tell us nothing. Lambert left the club over two years ago. Some people really need to let it go.

you clearly aren''t old enough to remember Mike Walker and what he achieved if you think Lambert was our best manager ever.[/quote]

Mike Walker achieved well, of that there is no doubt, but his success was down to years of building, arguably back to John Bond, through Ken Brown then taken up a level by Stringer - then Walker who bore the fruits of years of development - and it was great.   Lambert though, came in and virtually from nothing turned the well being of the club around from down and nearly out, to financial security and top level football - him and Grant Holt, anyway.....

Lambert is now imo like a fish out of water.  Unable to bring in players and not able to play in a free competitive style that he would like, having to scrap for the odd point by keeping a tight defence.   Totally foreign to what he would like.  Would be better off dropping a division again - like Hughton has had to do.  I wouldn''t mind betting that Hughton will prove the better long term manager of the two - he has a method and way of working that will suit a lot of clubs - especially championship clubs - and apart from Norwich - where lets face it he had similar problems to a lot of lower premiership clubs - his sides have been free scoring amd entertaining. 

[/quote]

Granted Walker has some good building blocks to work with but imo it does him a dis-service to say his success wasnt his own, we came close to getting relegated the season before and had a low league finish before that. It''s not quite the consistent development you make it sound. Walker was a very very good manager both tactically and man to man management and his team played an excellent mix of passing football mixed with directness. Stringer played some great stuff too but at times imo we over played.

Loved Lambert while he was here did a stella job and we have a huge amount to be grateful for as a club that he was the right appointment of that there can be no doubt, galvanising us but lets not pretend we werent one of if not the biggest club in the division when he took over, but football wise, Walkers was the best I''ve seen.

Lambert did well for us, but taking over a club like ours in Div 1 is quite a fortunate place to start. Easy promotion, get the momentum, few players (such as Holty) hitting form, did well in first year in Prem.

Mike Walker took us to Europe, no matter what era, this is a far better achievement. Beating Bayern Munich in the Olympic Stad, far better achievement. Finishing in top 3 - far better achievement.

No comparison.

Agree Dicky.

Loved Lambert''s time here , but he only had one season with us in the top flight (which I enjoyed thoroughly), and momentum is an underrated thing.

The likes of Bondy, Brown, Stringer and Walker hold a special place in my (footballing) affections, and would not put Lambert at the top of my list

p.s  Bournemouth have scored more League goals in Birmingham this season that Villa