Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

Reason Shackell was dropped

100% fact - mate I was with at Cov game bumped into Brennan at service station on his way home on A11, who told him.

Reason Shacks was dropped is same reason why Bentley was dropped last season.  Getting too big for his boots, needs bringing down a peg or two.

I for one applaud Wortho for his disciplinarian approach, although I am sure the Worthy bashers will use this as another excuse to have a whinge/moan/go.....

really?

i thought it was to do with him getting over the mumps, well i must say im supprised as Shackell has always come across as a quiet lad.

Are you sure?

If thats true I back the manager 100%, we have to relize we are in for a tough year.  We may think that we are too good for this league, but we have to prove it and against coventry we didn''t.  If your right about shackell I will be surprised because he doesn''t look like the type to get carried away.

Fair enough if true. Someone earlier suggested that worthy and shacks had a falling out. Its a shame if true, as he seems like a pretty modest bloke, and going on last season he is our best central defender!

He was dropped because Worthy read his stars in the EDP yesterday:

Libra (Sept 24-Oct 23)
You are going to find it hard to concentrate on anything but thoughts of love and romance as you finally realise that you are smitten. Just be careful that you don’t act too dreamily between 3 and 5pm when financial matters will demand your full attention, if you are to avoid mistakes. Call now to unmask the magic of Mars.

Shackell will be 22 on September 27 - Leeds (H). Start practising "happy birthday to you".

"Too big for his boots"

What a laugh! If, as the rumour goes, he demanded to be in the team, then he is right to do so.

HE IS THE BEST DEFENDER WE HAVE. HE KNOWS IT, WE KNOW IT AND WORTHY KNOWS IT!!!

I am pro-Worthy but it sounds like he''s the one with the ego problem here.

Oi Worthy! Get of that high horse and play Shackell or you''ll be out of work come January!!!

[quote]really? i thought it was to do with him getting over the mumps, well i must say im supprised as Shackell has always come across as a quiet lad. Are you sure?[/quote]

Totally sure.

Worthington seems to make a habit of falling out with players , maybe he should find a better way of punishing them than leaving them out of the team , or at the very least make sure he has adequate replacements for those he leaves out, Fleming and  Doherty are not and the harsh truth is the sooner they move on the better.Discipline is no bad thing but how many points can we afford to throw away while Worthy wins another tiff ?

If it''s true (and I''m not saying it isn''t) surely Worthy is the one who has suffered because playing Doc/Flem cost us 2 points. If he carries on playing those two just to prove a point and we continue to drop needless points then he''ll be out of a job!

[quote]Worthington seems to make a habit of falling out with players , maybe he should find a better way of punishing them than leaving them out of the team , or at the very least make sure he has adequate r...[/quote]

Exactly, when it comes to points he should be fielding the BEST players at his disposal. Too often we have to watch as Worthington''s own personal favourites are picked, (and not because of their footballing ability) despite the fact that they  are not upto it, and the fact that everyone can see they''re not upto it but him!

[quote]Worthington seems to make a habit of falling out with players , maybe he should find a better way of punishing them than leaving them out of the team , or at the very least make sure he has adequate r...[/quote]

We don''t know what goes on behind the scenes, so how can we criticise?

Once again I would repeat an article that Steve Claridge wrote just over a year ago that it is a managers responsibility to field his strongest team irrespective of personal grudges. If Worthington cannot handle these players and deprive the paying public of seeing the strongest team possible then perhaps its time he went.

Do we know the nature of the altercation between Mr. Worthington & Mr. Shackell?

Nothing along the lines of "I''m fed up with covering for that ageing has-been who mouths off at everyone for his own mistakes" was it?

I''m getting a touch worried about Worthy. I think he''s done a brilliant job in the transfer market, given the financial constraints etc., but  ... does he analyze videos of the games? Does he have expectations of each player & measure their performance against it? Or is he really an "old school" manager at heart, who relies on gut instinct & a lot of shouting?

It''s one thing buying some useful players, but quite another  building a successful team out of them.

Totally agree. You play your best team. There are other ways to bring a player "down a peg or two" without dropping him - the words ''foot'', yourself'' and shooting'' come to mind. If Worthy thinks that Fleming and Doherty are his best defensive pairing, then perhaps he''s taken us as far as he can. Can you see Wenger saying, "Henry''s criticized me for not buying new players, so I''ll drop him"? I don''t think so. What kind of management team can''t see that we need a new and good centre half, plus two central midfielders? So who does he buy? Colin and Jarrett - then doesn''t play them - and Andy Who''s? I''ve been pro-Worthington for his tenure, but I''m now seriously starting to doubt him - and that''s based upon all of last season and this pre-season.  

All this stuff about a bust up (which looks increasingly like being the reason), is desperately disappointing. Problem for us is we simply do NOT know the facts. It clearly wasn''t becuase of an injury or fitness otherwise Worthy would have said (like he has with the others).

A manager has to be a disciplinarian of course but surely that means by way of fines or a severe bollocking. What it does NOT mean is deliberately depriving the team of your best player (in that position) by leaving them out. That is BAD man management as it displays a similar, petulant attitude on behalf of the boss, and, ultimately, compromises what he is being paid (bloody well I might add) to do.

For his part, though, I just pray that Shacks takes a long, hard look at what he may have said / done and realise that he could be throwing away all the hardwork he put in to get in the team in the first place unless he quickly apologises (if that is what it takes) and focuses 100% on getting back in the team and staying there. He can still be our future club captain but this is a big setback for him (and the club). One thing for sure, stubborn head Worthy will NEVER back down.

utter rubbish regarding shacks..... He is getting over the mumps, my mate was at Colney watching them train last week.. he still isnt 100% right and hasnt trained that much but will be back soon

and id doubt Jim Brennan is going to tell any old Joe in the street why anyone has been dropped.

Must say i do agree that worthy throws his toys out the pram tho, fell out with Iwan, Fell out with Edders, Fell out last season with Charly.... i wonder if he has a fall oput with a mr Huckerby or a Mr Ashton what the outcome will be?

Worthy needs to stop sulking and be a better man manager.. Mike walkers Tact with Dave Stringers tactical nous is whats needed.

I do thionk that managers should take a tough line on whingers and players who think they should be in the team, Dropping them maybe isnt the answer... but making them run a few laps round the training pitch on their ownfor an hour or 3 might be#

if players are going to act like children then they should expecxt to be treated like them.

jas

So we are told Jarrett is not completely over his hamstring injury so might not play , yet no mention of Shackell not being 100% yet , no if it was a fitness issue something would have been said, more to it than that i think.

Service stations .. .Jim Brennan ... ???????????

What on earth is going on with you guys , Shackell isn''t 100% fit , simple as that.

Seems like Worthy is getting mixed reactions on the board at the moment.

I too think he has done a good job with who he has brought in. I''m especially impressed with Marney. However, he fails to build a strong team that play week in week out. He also needs to buy more players. NOW. Not in January.

Keep your promise Worthy. 

[quote]Service stations .. .Jim Brennan ... ??????????? What on earth is going on with you guys , Shackell isn''t 100% fit , simple as that.[/quote]

Call it what you want - this is absolute fact.

[quote]Call it what you want - this is absolute fact.[/quote]

Its absolute something, although fact wasn''t the word I had in mind.

[quote]really? i thought it was to do with him getting over the mumps, well i must say im supprised as Shackell has always come across as a quiet lad. Are you sure?[/quote]

Hi AJ, quite agree Shacks is a quiet lads, got to Colney a few times and saw he was quite shy for signing autographs or taken photos with the kids, or I should say he was completely different with Holt, Fleming and Drury, also Hucks too!

I hope he won''t does a Bentley incident, really cannot believe! 

If it is true that Shacks was dropped because of a falling out with Mr W then I have to say that I and several others have been making this point for a long, long time about Mr W.

A good manager would find a way around the situation and play his best team rather than jeopardise the result for the benefit of his own ego.

Ho, hum....

[quote]If it is true that Shacks was dropped because of a falling out with Mr W then I have to say that I and several others have been making this point for a long, long time about Mr W. A good manager woul...[/quote]

If that was the reason then fair enough, but he has to be back again tomorrow night as not playing shacks will meanmore dropped points.  The sooner flem is moved to a management role the better...

OTBC   

[quote]Its the mumps people - now confirmed by Worthy on the official site. I can''t believe some of you think so little of Worthy. Have some faith. http://www.canaries.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/FirstNewsDe...[/quote]

That may be what the official site says, but that is definitely what Brennan said. 

[quote]Its the mumps people - now confirmed by Worthy on the official site. I can''t believe some of you think so little of Worthy. Have some faith. http://www.canaries.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/FirstNewsDe...[/quote]

I see what you say but this explanation stinks - if hat was the case why was it hidden until now?  Usually injury absences, which this could be classed as, are announced pre game.

I am happy to be called a conspiracy theorist on this one; I tend to favour Dicky on this one (not often I say that is it Dicky??) as something does not quite sound right.

OTBC

[quote]That may be what the official site says, but that is definitely what Brennan said.[/quote]

Dicky -  in your first post you said it was a mate that told you. How can you know it was definite if you werent there yourself?