Sign in to follow this  
Feel The Force

Bassong is in the squad today

Not sure if that means the match day squad but Neil says he''s in. Let''s face it he can''t be any worse than Cuellar and at least he has pace to make up for his lack of concentration! Good luck Seb, I hope you start and earn a bit of that wage package! Dread to think what his appearance fee is.

I think the fact that milk turns quicker than Turner & Cuellar. Did you not see how the Cardiff changed once they brought on a quick nippy little striker. Brentford have one of them too so in my eyes Bassong has to start.

Cuellar is decent and IMO has played pretty well in a defence without much consistency, he''s just being scapegoated by some. That said, Turner and Bassong have played well at PL together and it might be good to rekindle that partnership - a fully engaged and firing SB, with RM more permanently at rb, would be good to see.

His record since he came back as a regular is very good, so he may bring more than blistering pace.Played 5, won 4, drew 1.

On paper - imo - our best central pairing is Martin and Bassong.   Now I know Martin is probably our best right back, but if Whittaker is on form - and he is good going forwards - and Garrido is included, this could make a good back four.  I like Cuellar and he would be my other option if RM is right back.  So either - Whittaker Martin Bassong GarridoorMartin Cuellar Bassong Garrido

[quote user="lake district canary"]On paper - imo - our best central pairing is Martin and Bassong.   Now I know Martin is probably our best right back, but if Whittaker is on form - and he is good going forwards - and Garrido is included, this could make a good back four.  I like Cuellar and he would be my other option if RM is right back.  So either - Whittaker Martin Bassong GarridoorMartin Cuellar Bassong Garrido

[/quote]

I like Whittaker and applaud his efforts but he simply has too little pace. Time and time again he''s caught out by simple balls down the wing or nippy wingers getting the better of him. I don''t think it''s a positional problem or the ability to tackle as he has some decent games, but he''s just caught out too often by simple pace.

With the way Neil set up against Cardiff with very advanced full backs and general attacking play, Whittaker would be a massive risk against any decent side.

Can see no reason to bring whittaker in at left back ahead of the very competent garrido.

cb partnership of any two of cuellar, bassong & turner is good for me; increasing vibes that bassong will start which should be progress, interesting to see who partners him, he did well with turner but cuellar has impressed at cb this season.

Just out of interest, looked up 2012/13 back line during some of that good run before Christmas - 1-0 win  v Manure  -   Whittaker, Turner, Bassong, Garrido;2-1 win over Sunderland - Whittaker, R. Bennett, Bassong, Garrido;1-0 win over Stoke - Whittaker, Turner (R. Bennett, 54), Bassong, Garrido1-0 win over Arsenal -  Martin, Turner, Bassong, GarridoStill got the same players ......surely should be good enough in any of the above combinations??   Cuellar should be well up in the scheme of things too.  On paper  and plus Cuellar we should be pretty strong in defence.  Also, quite a few of those games had Tettey and Johnson in front of them......

Today i think we will see Bassong & Turner back together and Cuellar on the bench. I think we might even see Garrido back in at left back, depending on any developments in Olssons move.

Neil will know the score re: Martin at cb and Whittaker at fb. as he was probably present at the Scotland games. An advantage Adams did not have.It will be interesting. Personally I would want Seb back.