Sign in to follow this  
Trent Canary

Sum up Worthy in a paragraph

As you can see from my post count im pretty new to these here forums, and it seems as though Worthy has a mixture of support ranging from "god" to "dimwit". So I just want to see what the overall feeling is. Anyway my stab at a paragraph is this: -

"Decent manager, who has had a reasonable record in the transfer market. Encourages his players to be honest pros and play the game the way it should be played, which I admire. Has his favourites which can be frustrating, and his tactics can be a bit off at times, but has a good track record with the club and has my support. Overall..Good manager, could do better with team selection, but has done a fine job."

[quote]As you can see from my post count im pretty new to these here forums, and it seems as though Worthy has a mixture of support ranging from "god" to "dimwit". So I just want to see what the overall feel...[/quote]

''Honest pro who values effort over ability and who''s preference for certain players limits how far the club can progress.   Good transfer record, significantly improving the playing staff since taking charge.  Has an ability to fall out with players on a regular basis and favours a scapegoat mentality but has built a team with spirit and honest values.  Question marks remain over his, um, unique tactical approach and coaching ability Has so far exceeded fans expectations since taking control but has he taken the club as far as he can?''

OTBC

Honest and canny when dealing with the board, capable but unduely negative at times, more reactive than proactive regarding substitutions. Places too much value on training hard and being an honest pro, rather than ability. Most successful manager in the last decade. Scope for manoeuvre limited by board at times. Genuine bloke.

[quote]As you can see from my post count im pretty new to these here forums, and it seems as though Worthy has a mixture of support ranging from "god" to "dimwit". So I just want to see what the overall feel...[/quote]

Pretty much what I would have said, Trent... Spot on!

Simply the right man for the job Trent.

Or in other words, trust in Worthy and keep your powder dry!.

Strong minded. Which is good, bad and bloody annoying in equal measures.

The problem these days, so it seems, is that nobody has any patience with managers. Look at Strachan at Celtic after 1 or 2 games. And Reading fans are now calling for Coppell''s head after they lost their opening game! One game into the season!

I looked at the managers in the Championship. After Gradi and Warnock, Worthy is the third longest-serving by some distance. And Warnock... what has he achieved at Sheff U in the past 6 years?

A lot of people criticise Worthy, but for his record he remains one of the best/better managers in the division. If your glass is half full you will focus on the losses and the things he hasn''t achieved, the relegation. If it''s half full you''ll focus on the wins, the successes, the promotion. Of course he makes wrong decisions sometimes, or at least, decisions which with hindsight could have been better.

But equally, which other Championship manager would you rather have... and what''s his record like?

I agree, Amarillo... people cream themselves over Iain Dowie - The Melted Gremlin himself - yet what has he done that''s any better than Worthy??

They both saved their clubs from the brink of relegation to Div 2, both got in quality and built good teams, both got their teams to play-offs/promotion, and both ended with eventual relegation.

The only difference is that Worthy goes about the job more quietly and doesn''t have a muppet of a Chairman thrusting himself into the spotlight every five minutes... (well, at least Delia''s p*ssed when she does it...)

"Places too much value on training hard and being an honest pro, rather than ability."

I can see where you''re coming from, but you have to bear in mind the context that he is working within...

When I''m recruiting staff, I''d rather have someone I can rely on to do a job that a flashy git who might produce the goods now and then. Of course, if I have unlimited funds and can head-hunt the best people (as can José Mourinho) then I''ll get flashy performers who can produce week in week out.

So look at it from Worthy''s point of view: for 500k you can buy solid performers who aren''t technically the best (otherwise they''d be worth 5m) e.g. Hughes or you can buy talent with dubious work ethic e.g. Rivers. Who will get you out of the Championship?

So although I think you''re right, that is Worthy''s way, I wouldn''t want to say that was the limit of the man... just those are his tactics to get us promoted. And in that, you surely have to agree his record is that he knows what he''s doing. Do we want pretty football (like Ipswich) or promotion?

It''s a valid point, and I wasn''t particularly advocating buying "flashy" midfielders (I''ll admit that I was a bit anti-Hughes when he signed, but based on Saturday, I actually think that that''s a very good purchase).

What I meant was, within Nige''s own squad if it came down to a choice between players, the good ol'' pro will win every time, over the more skilled player.  The sort of thing I meant was, over the past season or so:

Edworthy instead of Helveg

Holt instead of Safri

Doc instead of Shackell

That type of thing. I don''t buy that Nige has "favourites" per se, just that he favours a player that trains themself to death and will run all day, rather than the more gifted, ball playing, footballer. Maybe it''s because that''s the type of player Nige was himself.... 

"Northern Irish football manager with severe side parting and slanted jaw.  Enjoys phrases such as ''It''s game on'', ''absolutely magnificent'', and ''all credit to''.  Has a laidback and pragmatic personality which can be mistaken as apathy.  Likes: playing down transfer speculation, being in the Premiership, picking old central defensive carthorse liabilities.  Dislikes: controversy, excitement, young upstarts booting the ball away declaring ''Ave it!''"

"Honest enough bloke who seems to be able to attract players to the Club. Can favour effort over ability. Seems to lack tactical nuance. Has a tenancy to select certain players as a result of their relationship with him rather than on results, and a tendency to let personal squabbles get in the way of selecting the best team. Clearly influenced by his mentor, Howard Wilkinson, which must leave a very big question mark over him.

[quote]"Honest enough bloke who seems to be able to attract players to the Club. Can favour effort over ability. Seems to lack tactical nuance. Has a tenancy to select certain players as a result of their re...[/quote]

"Clearly influenced by his mentor, Howard Wilkinson, which must leave a very big question mark over him"

LOL!

Some good reponses here, most of which I agree with, but you''ve all missed one thing - his dignity with the media.  Nige won us a lot of friends with the way he conducted himself last season.  when was the last time you can remember Nige blaming the ref for a result?

"Proficient Championship manager - not blessed with the managerial skills to flourish in the Premiership.   Guilty of blind faith in underperforming players, guilty of lack of belief in proven quality players.    Could do better."

I know I keep banging on about Iwan''s autobiography but it is a really good read! He offers an insight into Worthy''s management and it seems pretty sound to me - certainly Robbo seemed in large to be a fan of his methods!

Worthy in a paragraph - A good manager who knows his players well and makes sure he doesn''t sign anyone who is going to upset the boat and the destroy the friendly family atmosphere at Norwich and Colney. He is big on fitness and commitment and makes sure his players are performing to high standards or they get a rocket!! Some of his signings have been a bit suspect but he has had his hands tied by financial restraints and the board! In summary he has turned Norwich into a team on the verge of the prem league from a side languishing just above the relegation zone with a quality squad and a bright future! I think his positives strongly outweigh his negatives!