Sign in to follow this  
Damo

"strongest squad in the league..."

This is the line I''ve (we''ve) been hearing a lot this season. I believe AN mentioned it when he came in as well. As time has passed the squad has gradually been found out, it''s made me wonder where this myth of strength ever eminated from. Was this "strength" based purely on names? Maybe it was more of an assumption because we have just been in the PL, but as we all know, having a squad in the PL does not mean that they are/were PL quality.

I got to thinking about this after watching some of the performances by Championship teams over the weekend: Boro, Blackburn, Bolton etc...(there''s a weird B theme!) even Birmingham did relatively well against a revived WBA. I couldn''t imagine seeing a performance like that from our team against anyone this season, but why? For me it comes down to chemistry and fluidity, not just strength in depth, because ultimately strength in depth counts for nothing if the team don''t have chemistry and passion. Some of our closest rivals use a number of relatively unknown and off the radar players but seem to be playing with confidence (see Brentford for reference). Their chemistry is good, so I wonder where ours is falling down?

I''d be interested to see what people''s views are. Perhaps you feel it''s actually a management/coaching issue, or maybe some feel that we really do have the best squad in the division. Our position in the table would seem to disagree unfortunately.

To be fair, there aren''t many sides who could do without 4 central m/f players at the same time without it having some sort of impact, and is all the more annoying because Howson being out was a particularly harsh decision that we are still paying for. The most galling aspect is that our weakness came against a side whose main (only?) real strength is in that area and they made us pay.

when you look at our squad and team compared to the top teams, it looks almost like no comparison that our team looks on paper much better, but there''s no team, we don''t play as a team.

The ''best squad in the league'' comment didn''t come from fans, but our board, the majority of pundits, and other managers...and perhaps even Adams if I remember correctly

Skill wise they are talented, but I believe they lack desire, team spirit and a willingness to work hard. Good players don''t always make great teams.

strongest technical squad on paper; weakest mental application when things get tough.

We have technically good players for this division, but the quality of a player and his value to a team is made up of much more than that. Mental strength, attitude, determination, being a team player.......there are so many components that make up the complete player, many of these our guys seem to lack.

It''s happened with too many different managers/ coaches to be continuing to deflect the blame. Yes tactically we were crap yesterday but it was matched in equal parts by the lack of quality displayed all round by our players. Why for example did a player of Jeromes'' experience get caught off side so many times. I really rate Jerome but surely he could do better than that!

Some people love a soundbite. Makes it nice an easy to regurgitate again and again and again and zzzzzzz

Up there with "scouring Europe"

Can see that still being brought up in 2030 when we announce "mecha-Lambert" as our manager...

[quote user="alartz"]Our central midfield is poor. Also our back 4 ain''t the greatest either.

No where near the best team in the league. The table doesn''t lie[/quote]A central midfield of Howson, Johnson, Tettey, O''Neil, Odjidja-Ofoe and Hoolahan is poor by Championship standards? Well, it is an opinion.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="alartz"]Our central midfield is poor. Also our back 4 ain''t the greatest either. No where near the best team in the league. The table doesn''t lie[/quote]

A central midfield of Howson, Johnson, Tettey, O''Neil, Odjidja-Ofoe and Hoolahan is poor by Championship standards? Well, it is an opinion.
[/quote]

Ofoe hasn''t arrived yet.

O''neil and Hoolahan are past sellby date

Johnson will never arrive UNLESS we find his best position (left mid?)

That leaves Howson and Tettey, who are PL in waiting.

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="alartz"]Our central midfield is poor. Also our back 4 ain''t the greatest either. No where near the best team in the league. The table doesn''t lie[/quote]A central midfield of Howson, Johnson, Tettey, O''Neil, Odjidja-Ofoe and Hoolahan is poor by Championship standards? Well, it is an opinion.[/quote]

[/quote]So, TB, would this be a rough translation of your post?![;)]"Clowns to the left of me,Jokers to the right, here I am,Stuck in the middle with you."

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="alartz"]Our central midfield is poor. Also our back 4 ain''t the greatest either. No where near the best team in the league. The table doesn''t lie[/quote]

A central midfield of Howson, Johnson, Tettey, O''Neil, Odjidja-Ofoe and Hoolahan is poor by Championship standards? Well, it is an opinion.
[/quote]

[/quote]

So, TB, would this be a rough translation of your post?![;)]

"Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you."

[/quote]

Now where have I heard that before?[;)]

This squad just does NOT make a team.

The ingredients might be there but they don''t make the cake.

2/3 years of sparodic performances should tell anyone that BIG changes need to be made and the dressing room refreshed.

Bassong coming back is wrong. He displayed BAD judgement and lack of respect, that will not change.

Just a further example of the rot that is at the heart of the squad.

AN if he is to "make the grade" needs all the luck in the world, a sharpe eye, and a BIG broom.

We have good players but what was needed in May was a robust, external and, above all, experienced manager to challenge both the board and squad. It can be of no surprise based on the decisions made in the Summer that we find ourselves in this situation.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="alartz"]Our central midfield is poor. Also our back 4 ain''t the greatest either. No where near the best team in the league. The table doesn''t lie[/quote]A central midfield of Howson, Johnson, Tettey, O''Neil, Odjidja-Ofoe and Hoolahan is poor by Championship standards? Well, it is an opinion.[/quote]

[/quote]So, TB, would this be a rough translation of your post?![;)]"Clowns to the left of me,Jokers to the right, here I am,Stuck in the middle with you."

[/quote]

2/3 years of sparodic performances should tell anyone that BIG changes need to be made and the dressing room refreshed.

Bassong coming back is wrong. He displayed BAD judgement and lack of respect, that will not change.

AN if he is to "make the grade" needs all the luck in the world, a sharpe eye, and a BIG broom.

[/quote]TB, I don''t see enough games to be sure about a long-standing malaise in the squad. If you are right then it rather cuts the ground from under the argument that all we needed to do this time last year to stay up was appoint an experienced manager, or ditto this summer to finish in the top two.But in the here and now, again if you are right, then there is one other element that Neil, about whom I get good vibes, needs. And that is time. At the time I said his appointment looked not just like an short-term attempt to re-energise performances but a long-term choice. That requires patience!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So, TB, would this be a rough translation of your post?![;)]

"Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you."

[/quote]

[/quote]

TB, I don''t see enough games to be sure about a long-standing malaise in the squad. If you are right then it rather cuts the ground from under the argument that all we needed to do this time last year to stay up was appoint an experienced manager, or ditto this summer to finish in the top two.

But in the here and now, again if you are right, then there is one other element that Neil, about whom I get good vibes, needs. And that is time. At the time I said his appointment looked not just like an short-term attempt to re-energise performances but a long-term choice. That requires patience!

[/quote]

Fully agree BUT  the board need to make that plain for ALL

This talk of an immediate return to the Prem flies in the face of what has/is actually taking place and increases the pressure on Neil and raises the fans expectations.

To be honest I don''t think it is a genuine prospect but Adams and now Neil are being sacrificed at that altar.

Honesty is becoming as rare as rocking horse droppings coming from "The voice of Carrow Road"

I am sure he will justify it with another "love in" at the Nelson.

A brief statement about "Planning for the future" might ease things and allow Neil some breathing space to sort this lot out.

If by some chance (and luck) we make the playoffs then treat it as a bonus.

After all  the money generated by it would certainly add to his end of season financial bonus[:)]

We may have the strongest squad in the league but as shown in the FA Cup yesterday, if you don''t go into the game fighting for every ball and having a will to win, you just will not win the match !

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]TB, I don''t see enough games to be sure about a long-standing malaise in the squad. If you are right then it rather cuts the ground from under the argument that all we needed to do this time last year to stay up was appoint an experienced manager, or ditto this summer to finish in the top two.But in the here and now, again if you are right, then there is one other element that Neil, about whom I get good vibes, needs. And that is time. At the time I said his appointment looked not just like an short-term attempt to re-energise performances but a long-term choice. That requires patience![/quote]

Fully agree BUT  the board need to make that plain for ALL

This talk of an immediate return to the Prem flies in the face of what has/is actually taking place and increases the pressure on Neil and raises the fans expectations.

To be honest I don''t think it is a genuine prospect but Adams and now Neil are being sacrificed at that altar.

Honesty is becoming as rare as rocking horse droppings coming from "The voice of Carrow Road"

I am sure he will justify it with another "love in" at the Nelson.

A brief statement about "Planning for the future" might ease things and allow Neil some breathing space to sort this lot out.

If by some chance (and luck) we make the playoffs then treat it as a bonus.

After all  the money generated by it would certainly add to his end of season financial bonus[:)]

[/quote]And I fully agree with pretty much all of that!

Interesting post, only because Nottingham Forrest believe they have the strongest squad in the league, seems to me that best squad doesn''t = best team ?? the only place you find success before work is in the dictionary.

Alex Neil has to sort out the individual and blend them into a team or move them on, as we simply don''t have the strongest squad in the league

This squad isn''t strong enough to get to the Premier League, let alone stay there, anyone who thinks differently is delusional.[:)]