Sign in to follow this  
gangmower

OMG

I feel a bit sorry for him. He is a reasonable enough RB for this level, even decent. But he clearly is NOT a midfielder. Such a stupid decision to play him there when we had McGrandles or could have opted for the diamond and used Wes...

Didn''t he say Whittaker was the least of his worries?

Probably referring to a few players who were awful in their regular positions. But escaped the wrath of the crowd because too many people could only focus on Whittaker and not see the bigger picture.

I don''t understand why we didn''t start with Wes. But then AN is probably going through the same issues all past managers with regards to fitting Wes in the lineup

Brentford''s strength is midfield and had Wes been in instead of Whittaker we''d have done no better, so he''d have had to be in at the expense of Hooper, which I''m sure would have gone down like a cup of cold sick with many.

IMO the main difference was us having 4 guys in the same position out at the same, against a side whose strength is in that area - against other sides it might not have been so bad. Yesterday it cost us big time, filling in with Whitts in what was a crucial role didn''t work out for the first 20mins - I thought he was better after then - but by that point the damage was effectively done and Brentford had the initiative. .

Think AN was right to an extent when he said Whits was the least of his worries. Yes he was poor but and should''ve been taken off long before he eventually was but the more worrying sign (and hopefully what AN meant) was the lack of effort from the majority of the team. Whits was rubbish but gave 100% playing in the wrong position. Other than Redmond and Johnson at times, everyone else was rubbish and didn''t really look interested.

I have a feeling that Rus has been played as a holding mid before.

Would possibly have kept position better and aided our slow cm''s.

We as a club and the team are not going to gain anything positive from the fickle, narrow minded attitude from some fans towards whittaker yesterday.It shows massive mental strength and character to listen to the groans and moans with every misplaced pass or error and carry on givong your all playing in a unfamiliar position, just because he has been asked to.

I played at a decent level and heard similar comments from supporters and all your confidence being drained away when you are giving 100%.There is nothing good to come from berating plauers.

It reminded yesterday why I love watching my beloved Norwich City buy sadly reminded me why I hate all the negatively and mainly lack of any football intelligence or knowledge of most of the so called around me.

One very frustrated fan indeed

[quote user="andy 1974"]We as a club and the team are not going to gain anything positive from the fickle, narrow minded attitude from some fans towards whittaker yesterday.It shows massive mental strength and character to listen to the groans and moans with every misplaced pass or error and carry on givong your all playing in a unfamiliar position, just because he has been asked to.

I played at a decent level and heard similar comments from supporters and all your confidence being drained away when you are giving 100%.There is nothing good to come from berating plauers.

It reminded yesterday why I love watching my beloved Norwich City buy sadly reminded me why I hate all the negatively and mainly lack of any football intelligence or knowledge of most of the so called around me.

One very frustrated fan indeed[/quote]

Andy 1974 wrote above and i agree, Whits was asked to do a job, and he was poor, but did he deserve the boo''s he received ? what about so many others, far too many, starting with Russ Martin, Kyle Lafferty, Gary Hooper, both CB''s, all were well below what was expected. Lessons larded for AN, lets hope he can improve our fortunes with what he has, as can''t see much coming in way of improvements this window, but we do need to galvanise as one and as supporters we can help by getting behind the whole team, we can and should be ok for a play off position IMO.

For me, the question is "why did we feel the need to play two defensive midfielders at home to Brentford, even when it meant playing a right back out of position?"
Other formations and tactical approaches are available.  The worry for me is shoehorning a right back into a DM role - hardly shows flexibility or tactical prowess.
One of the reasons the Centre Backs had "poor" games yesterday is the lack of protection from the DMs - Bradley Johnson tried hard but was trying to cover three players at times.  Not Whittaker''s fault if he can''t read a game in an unfamiliar position.
I would like to have seen us set up more positively at home and try and deal with the shortage of defensive midfielders by playing more of the game in Brentford''s half of the pitch.  Yesterday was, frankly, a bugger''s muddle.

Thanks Lessingham Canary. I was expecting moans and groans or maybe a bit of booing!

If its really that poor as it was yesterday, lets not single individual players for harsh treatment.

Players themselves realise when things are not going well and fully expect their manager/captain or team mates to rally them and buck their ideas up.

AN was aware and replaced Whittaker for what the crowd wanted, an ineffective Wes!

Andy Hughes was treated like this years ago when being asked to play at left back and to some extent Aaron Wilbraham with a shoddy goals/game record became a cult hero because he worked hard for the team.

Lets get behind the manager and all of our player''s even after a poor performance comes along

Agree Bor.....yesterday was a perfect time for the diamond so successfull under Lambert.

We had Wes and Johnson to sit each end and Bennett with Redmond to come a little more narrow!

It was not Witts being booed so much as the manager in my mind.....the formation and negative hoofball was just awful!

[quote user="Indy"]Agree Bor.....yesterday was a perfect time for the diamond so successfull under Lambert.

We had Wes and Johnson to sit each end and Bennett with Redmond to come a little more narrow!

It was not Witts being booed so much as the manager in my mind.....the formation and negative hoofball was just awful![/quote]
Yes, possibly - the Hooper substitution reaction was pretty lively.
The hoofball brought back unpleasant memories of Peter Grant''s tactics... "right lads, let''s lump it up to Chris Brown and hope for the best."
Hopefully not again.
The idea that we have to have two defensive midfielders, to the point where you stick a player into a position he''s untried/untested in against a top six side, is what worries me the most.  Is this the only way Alex Neil knows?  Time will tell, but a very odd decision for sure.
Felt a bit sorry for Whittaker yesterday - he didn''t go hiding like some before him, and he was given a thankless task.