Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Lambert like appointment ?

Some on here said it was a Lambert like appointment......never!

Lambert as a player won the European cup and played with star players.....managed for three + seasons and took over a 3 division club in Norwich at the time.

Great appointment and low risk.

Alex Neil no real high level playing career nor any high level managenent experience.....taken over an under performing team of players who believe they should be in the premiership...is he really on a hiding to nothing hiven that the fans are running out of patience?

Maybe the booing yesterday was more an aim at the top than Neil?

Fans want performances and results to improve yet simply add to the problem by booing substitutions and (an idiot behind me within earshot of the bench) shout ''go back to Hamilton).

Who said anything about booing numbskull?

I''m stating that Neil is on a hiding to nothing !

As for booing never have but I do understand why fans do it!

Last I liken this appointment to a young Howe taken to Burnley from Bourmouth, just didn''t work out but at Bournmouth he fits that club!

Maybe to stick with Neil will see three or four years of rebuilding at lower level than any return to the top flight.

Are you on crack?

Neil is definitely on a hiding to nothing with some of our "fans" like you with built in failure their only real desire.

Eddie Howe failed at burnley because he likes his mummy to tuck him in and say night night.

So not only do you take cancer lightly you say our fans are stupid and now throw drugs into the conversation you realky are a pleasent chap aren''t you BUH!

Man up sweetheart. If you can''t have an answer to my points you don''t have to cry about use of the English language.

Just do what any other 7 year old girl would do

Report it, log out an move to ipswich like you''ve always dreamed of.

I didn''t know whether to start a new thread, I think I may. I would like to point out the last time we played Brentford before this season, when Lambert was in charge, it was either his 2nd or 3rd game in charge!

Please Read!!!!

Here are some links to the threads - 18/ 08/ 2009:

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1812952/ShowPost.aspx

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1812993/ShowPost.aspx

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1813554/ShowPost.aspx

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1813835/ShowPost.aspx

We even had a ''Norwich Moan Thread'' after the Brentford result:

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1813670/ShowPost.aspx

Players getting bood off:

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1820337/ShowPost.aspx

''Hoolahan''s heart wasn''t in it'' thread:

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1819891/ShowPost.aspx

I''m not comparing Neil to Lambert, I''m saying that the talk from the fans is very similar, when we have a new manager against Brentford. I would like history to repeat itself, with all the top teams having to come here, that''s not entirely unreachable. I''m not saying ''Keep the Faith,'' I''m saying, ''Have Some Faith.''

The last time we played Brentford, under Lambert, was in Jan ''10 and was well into his 5 month in charge. A 1-0 win that took us top of League 1

Ok the first time we played Brentford under Lambert then, which was his 2nd or 3rd game in charge, perhaps even 1stgame in charge, perhaps someone could clarify.... it would be much appreciated.

We played Brentford under Butterworth with Lambert in the stands (but hadn''t met the squad). Then under Lambert we played them in the cup which was his 3rd game I think which we won 1-0.

ah, I remember an interview with Lambert saying when he was watching the Brentford game, he didn''t know what he got himself into and instantly regretted come here :) (although of course that quickly changed.) which is why I thought that was his first game.

Having looked at the fixture list from that season I think you''re thinking of Hartlepool which we won 0-2 in the cup, I can''t even remember Lamberts first game let alone that we won the first cup game, but apparently it was wycombe at home.

The sentiment of my post still stands though, even though the accuracy of the detail doesn''t :) . E.g. the thread from the walsall game which must of been perhaps his 4th game where threads such as ''Is lambert another Roeder'' after drawing at home.:

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1840016/ShowPost.aspx

and

''Lambert - tactically inept''

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1838556/ShowPost.aspx

There''s obviously more but the point i was making (having been a bit embarrassed by finding these threads against the players and lambert, only to find that he was in the stands having only been appointed) was that the manager has just come in, yes we''ve had a poor performance, but it''s not the end, in a way it could be the beginning....however cheesy it sounds.

Excuse me if I''m being dumb, but what''s your point Mrs Miggins? Lambert took over in League One when we were perilously close to administration and had just got in an almost completely new squad. I can''t see any connection.

Yes we were heading for administration but we were tipped for an immediate return to the championship. Basically my point (which I admit I could''ve made much better, getting the facts right would''ve helped) is that, just like when Lambert came to the club, yes we all had our doubts, but lets not be too down about this game because there maybe something right round the corner. All of the top teams have to play us at Carrow Rd this season, with a new manager can often come with a new momentum so lets not slate Neil for being ''tactically inept'' or anything of the sort just yet.

We beat Brentford 1-0 at Carrow rd in the first round of the paint trophy thing. Hartlepool we beat 2-0 in the league which was Lamberts first away fixture.

There''s no point in all this... But I''m definitely right

Miggins I agree and thats my point......Lambert came in and comanded respect from the players, the saw a manager with a good playing record and a major cup winner with a track record of managerial experience at that leve off the back of hammering us 7-1 to boot.

This lot need to be motivated and organised at a lot higher level and this might be an issue for Neil with our current playing squad.

Kurious Oranj wrote the following post at 25/01/2015 1:29 PM:

We beat Brentford 1-0 at Carrow rd in the first round of the paint trophy thing. Hartlepool we beat 2-0 in the league which was Lamberts first away fixture.

There''s no point in all this... But I''m definitely right

------------------------------------------

Yeah you are, my memory is terrible

Although I see what you''re saying Indy, it''s not like he did very well at Wycombe (for example), after a while that initial respect for who he is goes (imo) and it''s about the training and drilling, getting the players to work hard for each other, I do agree with you though, it certainly does help initially i''m sure, but not after a few weeks and months I don''t think.

If you look at other famous ex players who have had glittering careers and gone onto managing, it rarely works out e.g. edgar davids. It doesn''t really matter too much what you''ve done before. Ex players like Mourinho have become fantastic managers despite being a very average (at best) player, not because of who he is, but because of how he got his team to play. When he started at Benfica (i''ve probably got that wrong as well but I think he started there) in management I''m sure the players knew that he had worked with some good managers before and had an alright playing career, but it''s about putting his ideas into practice and that''s what he did. Look at Ole G. S. (the ex man U striker) who managed Cardiff. Now he''s won quite a lot in his time, yet it didn''t work (big time).

For me, it''s not really about respect, it''s about getting the best out of the team, respect can be lost very quickly if you''re a bit of a douche. Look at Felix Magath, now he''s managed some really big teams e.g. Bayern Munich (I think) and has done really well. However, the last few clubs he''s been at have been disastrous for him because the players turned against him, it didn''t matter that he had been very successful before with other clubs.

Agreed Miggins but for initial appointment at this level we all said Who......I bet most of the players also went ....WHO''s Alex Neil!

I don''t doubt he might in time be very good but not sure after Hughton & Adams the tollerence of the fans will allow him time!

If I see anothe 90 minutes of hoofball like that it will be too much for me!

i''m sure you''re right, they probably did go ''Who'' but as fans we do need to give him that time, if that''s something you or anyone can''t do, then it''s going to be an even worse experience for you as a fan, a bit like it was for me and Adams as I couldn''t wait for him to get the sack after our results started getting really bad, because I couldn''t help feeling that he was never up up to the task, yet had to give him the time.

We have Neil now, and just like I did with Adams, you need to give him that time as do all fans. Everyone knows we/he needs results fast, but it''s his first loss and his third game, it''s not that we need to be positive, or negative, but realistic. (btw I don''t mean that to sound patronising if that''s how it''s being read).

To be fair that game reminded me a lot of Walsall at home in L1. Lambert had gotten a few good results, then at home we play hoofball and were very lucky to hang on for a draw, that game was a blip, hopefully this one was for Neil. The main difference though is Lambert had plenty of time to turn us around after that game, Neil can only realistically lose 3 more now all season or we''ll have no chance at the top 2

[quote user="Indy"]Agreed Miggins but for initial appointment at this level we all said Who......I bet most of the players also went ....WHO''s Alex Neil!

I don''t doubt he might in time be very good but not sure after Hughton & Adams the tollerence of the fans will allow him time!

If I see another 90 minutes of hoofball like that it will be too much for me![/quote]If fans hound a third manager in succession out of Carrow Road, they will end up causing a lot of more damage to the club. There is far less quality in our squad than people will admit; the relegated players haven''t adjusted mentally; and the newcomers, Jerome apart, have added little. From what he said before this last game, Neil has already diagnosed the problems. His brief is to get us at least into the playoffs, which he will struggle to do with his current resources. How any fans can think that getting on the team''s and manager''s back will  help the situation is beyond me. Some proper support from the stands throughout a game, on the other hand, very likely would.The best City performance on Saturday was put in by Olsson, playing for a move to Swansea. The lack of interest in any other of our players (apart maybe from Redmond) tells its own story. IMO the table as it stands has us about where we should expect to be, and where we will probably also be at the end of the season.

Agreed but on the flip side the last two managers have assembled this squad spent millions and most fans would agree on paper we had strong squads......so is it the players or that the appointments are weak?

But most now blame the fans for the negativity! The atmosphere at the ground ! Really is it really tge fans fault for venting frusrtations?

I don''t buy into the players being poor, they at times have been superb and for some bizzare reason the last two managers and this one at the moment have not changed this inconsistancy. This saturday the team on the pitch was set up negatively it was a Hughton type fix instead of using Wes in a diamond.....hell what do I know, but this is a fickle past time and they are all big boys, without the fans who boo or clap or moan or sing......whatever, they would be playing on a park somewhere and heading of to work in a normal job for the next 45 years.

Although I agree with you about how we''ve seen some brilliant stuff Indy on occasions just not enough, it''s not the team was set up that defensively. We had Jerome, Hooper, Redmond and Lafferty on the pitch (and Whits had to be forced to play in the middle as we didn''t have anyone). It''s not like we could''ve used the diamond with the players that we had available because that would''ve been suicide.

It seems the team still haven''t got over the relegation and it looks a lot like they are in limbo, forgetting that they have to actually try to get out of this division, and the previous management certainly hasn''t helped.

The fans don''t appoint the manager, or buy, sell or coach players; but they can make a big difference by being supportive or otherwise. I don''t get the idea that paying your ticket money year after year automatically makes you "one of the best fans in the world". Who wants 25000 grumblers and moaners? Or 25000 people producing the atmosphere of a morgue?

We have to go back to pre 2004 and oir gates averaged 13000 to 16000, its only since our promotion season that we got capacity gates and its been impressive since.

So in my mind I don''t care if they cheer or boo, on our day Carrow Road can Rock and its down to the players to deliver effort with passion and thats been lacking causing alot of fans to believe we lack leaders or players that pkay for the club but for the money.

I can see that, it might not be true but Brentford, even their loan players have bought into their loan club.

I don''t like the booing but I can understand it.....for me another home performance like that and I''ll stay on the golf course the next home game....my choice.

My view is that the core of our team with the right manager (plus the (alleged) £17m or so spent by Adams) would have been good enough to see us finish in the top two. But we needed an experienced manager with credibility, gravitas, externality and bite. The board made the wrong choice and the downward spiral which has followed will likely see us in the championship for years to come.

Perhaps you''ve hit on something there Indy. The golf course could be the answer. Or maybe hitting the shops? Because it seems to me the eagerness to boo and be dissatisfied is because there are thousands who didn''t sign up for this. They are prisinors of their own season tickets. The club kind of hoodwinked them into renewing around this time last season and they certainly didn''t expect to be watching home defeats at the hand of Brentford.