Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Bassong - yes or no?

What are peoples views on Bassong now he will soon be back as a Norwich player?How do you think he is going to be confronted by another young and unproven manager given his alleged views on Neil Adams?Personally although Seb is immense on his day, I feel he always has a mistake in him. I think that AN needs to have the support of ALL of the players to make our team work, and wouldn''t want to see that compromised in anyway. However let''s hope Seb can see the new positives in the club and wants to come and play for us again.

Get rid of him asap, but not back to Watford, even if it''s for a pittance or on a free. Can''t afford to carry anyone who has a bad attitude, is a bad influence and is earning loads of dosh for doing nothing.He had his chance & blew it, he''s not good enough & we''re better off without him.

I trust Alex Neil''s judgement as the new manager. None of us know what has really gone on behind the scenes. There is no doubting his ability (player of the season in his first year), however there''s also no doubting that he rarely wants to prove it.

Personally I can''t see him staying, but you never know.

I said on here that if we appoint Alex Neil that I felt it would be really important to keep Phelan.A) In my mind this was two fold. The first being that the real issue was consistancy and this appeared to have improved with the arrival of Phelan. This to me is also coupled with the fact that the team needed ''tweaking'' rather than wholesale change. So in my mind we didn''t need wholesale wide sweeping change, we needed someone to come in and shake things up a little. I hope that this works long term - as I do with any management appointment.B) The player attraction factor. When Bassong was sent off on loan Phelan was not at the club. I wonder if he would have had more belief in the direction of the club/team if he had been appointed before? I know some people slate Bassong for his supposed attitude, but not all players will see eye to eye with their new manager. And a lot of folk blast him despite themselves having a good old shot at Adams themselves. He''s got to be given a fresh start and a chance to speak to Neil and Phelan to see if his heart is with the club. I feel with Phelan about, we have more chance of keeping players like Bassong and attracting players of a higher caliber in the future. Obviously, this is just my feeling - my gut instinct so to speak.So for me, if Bassong is willing to start again, give it his best and play for the club and team I think he should be given the chance to. He is a solid player on his day and at the moment would perhaps help solve a couple of defensive questions. Martin back to right back and Bassong back in next to Turner/Cruellar and send Hoiveld back to Southampton.So yes if he wants to, no if he doesn''t. He''s too good just to chuck out for an issue he may or may not have had with the previous manager.

Well as Holt & Phelan picked the side i guess thats why he wasnt involved. As of tomorrow i guess its time to impress the new boss in training, no doubt he will speak to everyone and he will probably make a judgement from there. If he wants to play and the reason he was left out isnt too bad of an issue then i guess he has to orove that to the new boss. Theres people on here who say a big NO to him but football is fickle and if he comes back into thes ide scores the winner vs Cardiff then im sure all would be forgiven.

No thanks.

Divisive, poor attitude, two relegations against him, plus that stupid incident with the gun. Probably expensive too. Find a foreign club to unload him on.

[quote user="CJRV 2014"]Well as Holt & Phelan picked the side i guess thats why he wasnt involved. As of tomorrow i guess its time to impress the new boss in training, no doubt he will speak to everyone and he will probably make a judgement from there. If he wants to play and the reason he was left out isnt too bad of an issue then i guess he has to orove that to the new boss. Theres people on here who say a big NO to him but football is fickle and if he comes back into thes ide scores the winner vs Cardiff then im sure all would be forgiven.[/quote]You can look at that two ways.He''d returned from a loan period that was agreed back when he the last manager was in charge and Phelan hasn''t worked with him yet - with the manager having resigned last weekend I doubt that it would be such a great time to re-introduce a player that:a) hadn''t trained with the team for half a seasonb) might rock the boat a little at a delicate timec) may want certain assurances before he returns to play for us.That said, when interviewed at Watford, he clearly didn''t state he would be happy to leave Norwich. So fair play to him.As for the relegations - how many does Hoolahan have now? Wasn''t O''Neil relegated with Middlesborough and West Ham? Olsson was relegated with Blackburn. Pretty pointless argument - it''s football. I would be happy that he has been judged by a number of managers now, to be good enough for the premier league. In most cases you need goals as well as a sound defense - as proven by our ill-fated time in the Premier League with Worthington, had we signed Ashton at the start of the season I''d have put money on us staying up. One goal in one of our draws to turn it into a win and things would have been very different.

No Thanks

Bad attitude if he did''nt want to play for Neil Adams who at least had played at top level football whats he going to think of taking orders from a 33 year old with  a lesser record

No from me, just can''t see him playing for the club or with this team ever again. I know it''s only rumour, but if true, you burn a fair few bridges when, as the captain, you slag off the new guy, just appointed by the board, in front of the whole first team.

But if Neil wants him and can get him to play well then of course I''d be behind him, just seems an unlikely scenario.

It''s entirely up to Bassong. If he''s fit, sharp and most importantly, interested, then you''d definitely want him in the side. In terms of raw ability, there isn''t anything better at this level than him. As he showed in 2012/13, he is good enough to play for a team in top half of the Premier League if he really puts his mind to it. When you add into the mix that he is naturally left footed, he would also bring a nice balance to most defences. Unfortunately, given that he didn''t take kindly to Adams''s lack of experience, it is hard to see him being overjoyed about the appointment of a relatively unknown manager in Alex Neil. Personally, I think that Bassong is probably finished as a Norwich player but stranger things have happened.

Bassong?? Chris Hughton''s love child you mean? No chance he should come back. He had his chance and blew it.

His job was to play football and stfu and do as he was told by his employers, seems that''s way to much to expect of super bass though. He also shouldn''t have been loaned out to a rival team either though. Ridiculous decision. Bassong epitomises what''s wrong with game these days. You know he''d score an own goal to help daddy Chris out if needs be.

Yes for me. I want footballers that can help us win games and I think he''s good enough.

I would be interested to see what actually happened with regards to him not playing under adams and how much truth was in the rumours. At the end of the day of AN thinks he deserves a chance then we should respect that as we haven''t exactly had the most stable defence of late

If it was up to me to keep probably the best CB in this league, then it would be yes. However, I fear that, like Phelan and Holt he wont be at our club much longer.

Big no for me.

I watched a few Watford games, and at times he just drifted around aimlessly (remember that?)

And a lot of the Watford fans were of the opinion that, on his day, a very good defender, but way too prone to going missing, sometimes for entire games.

Yes.

He is a solid CB and one that will improve the team overall asking as he is willing to fight for this club.

Maybe with AN and Phelan he will see we have more of a chance of getting one of those elusive auto spots, Our promotion rivals obviously feel he''s good enough.

Simply put, it''s a yes from me. On his day, he''s easily our best centre back and if he realises that he could be integral to our promotion chase, he could right his wrongs.

I think Alex Neil will look to offer him a clean slate today. It''s obvious that Bassong thought he''d have got a premiership move or similar in summer but he didn''t and there''s not a chance we''ll sell him to Watford and I doubt Brighton can afford him.

I thought he was harshly dropped after that one mistake versus Stoke that ultimately was our turning point last season. Note if we''d held out and won that day, we''d have gone above Stoke into 10th.

If talks today with the boss don''t go well then I agree he needs to go and sharpish. We need everyone on board now regardless of what ran before. If Neil can get Seb on board then i''m willing to draw a line over the 2014 Seb, if not then he needs to leave ASAP.

[quote user="morty"]Big no for me.

I watched a few Watford games, and at times he just drifted around aimlessly (remember that?)

And a lot of the Watford fans were of the opinion that, on his day, a very good defender, but way too prone to going missing, sometimes for entire games.[/quote]

I noted that they said that, but they unanimously wanted him to return.

To save time I agree with Chicken on this.

However I don''t see him as a AN type of player as he can appear languid even lazy at times. We have a glut of not quite good anough CBs at the moment and with Bennett injured it would be akin to a new signing. Can anyone think of a better CB currently available to sign in the window? Are our young guns ready yet?

If the answer to the above are no and no then we should be pragmatic. If the answer is yes to either question then he can sling his arrogant hook.