Sign in to follow this  
yellow_belly

Alex Neil - Complete Punt

[quote user="yellow_belly"]Okay okay, shoot me down…

When it was announced that we had appointed AN, it was a shock. Poor footballer, leads small club to top division in Scotland via play-offs. Just.

Since his arrival;

Bournemouth - set up my MP and GH. They should get the credit here.

Cardiff. Same team as Bornemouth. Brilliant in first half (continuation from Millwall and Huddersfield at home), second half. Useless. Awful subs at the wrong time. Out of his depth.

Brentford. What can I say. The worse set up (even with missing players), tactics. Kick it into the corners, and hope someone gets there. etc etc. If this is the new messiah then I am… well I will let you choose the words.

In a nutshell, this punt looks awful. 10th at best this season. AN gone within a season. McNally gone at same time.

This was the time for good management from the board to appoint the right team. Messed up big style.

And yes, I do go to the games. Been going every week since 1982. So I know a little about us.

Sad to see this happen. But it has.[/quote]You, Sir, are a complete cheese. pop your thoughts on a small peice of paper, fold, then dispose into a bin. thanks

What a good job we didn''t take a complete punt on this bloke:

Youth player for a season at a midlands club in the mid 70s but never made it.

Went into non-league football, played 135 times in the 80s before an injury ended his career.

Left football to work in finance.

Started coaching part-time at a school in Hertfordshire, then joined a Hertfordshire club coaching their U9 to U16s in 2006.

Then started coaching their U17 to U19s in 2009 but left in 2010.

Joined a lower league London club as first team coach in Feb 2011 before applying for the vacant manager''s job. He was unsucessful but became  their sporting director in the summer of 2011. He was finally appointed manager in December 2013.

Obviously this candidate, if he had been appointed as Norwich manager, would have failed due to the fact that he had been a complete nobody as a player and had only managed Youth Teams.

Yet the team that he now manages gave us a footballing lesson on Saturday.

Lesson for the day: Give Alex Neil a chance.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="Indy"]No Herman, you can still support the manager even if you don''t rate him........does anyone really rate him given his history? Everyone has doubts but that doesn''t mean we can''t support him and hope he brings succesd! Does it?[/quote]I neither rated him or unrated (?) him, as I, and I suspect the vast majority of us knew absolutely nothing about him. He is/was a risky choice but his record is good for someone so young. I simply don''t think it''s right to have a preformed opinion.[/quote]I didn''t have a preformed opinion, but after watching Saturday''s game I think my patience (and that of our fanbase in general) will wear pretty thin pretty quickly if he persists in playing that style of football. This appointment has forced a vastly experienced coach out of the club, and Frankie McAvoy doesn''t even have a Wikipedia page so I can''t imagine his career has amounted to much so far. This could all go horribly, horribly wrong.[/quote]It will go horribly wrong with our fans insanely high expectations. Some of you have gone so far past being merely ambitious for the club that I worry for the clubs future.You seem to think that a brand new manager, with a misfiring and severely depleted squad, should simply turn up and beat a quality squad like Brentford. Yes it was terrible, but at least Neil now knows what sort of players he has, and what Adams was up against.P.s Maybe if Adams had got a bit more support off us,that highly experienced coach wouldn''t have buggered off.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="Feedthewolf"]I didn''t have a preformed opinion, but after watching Saturday''s game I think my patience (and that of our fanbase in general) will wear pretty thin pretty quickly if he persists in playing that style of football. This appointment has forced a vastly experienced coach out of the club, and Frankie McAvoy doesn''t even have a Wikipedia page so I can''t imagine his career has amounted to much so far. This could all go horribly, horribly wrong.[/quote]It will go horribly wrong with our fans insanely high expectations. Some of you have gone so far past being merely ambitious for the club that I worry for the clubs future.You seem to think that a brand new manager, with a misfiring and severely depleted squad, should simply turn up and beat a quality squad like Brentford. Yes it was terrible, but at least Neil now knows what sort of players he has, and what Adams was up against.P.s Maybe if Adams had got a bit more support off us,that highly experienced coach wouldn''t have buggered off.[/quote]For the record, Mr Angry''s post above about Mark Warburton makes a lot of sense. I can see the other side of the coin here, it just hurts to see us not only relegated due to overconfidence in an underachieving manager, but then floundering outside the playoffs with an inxperienced manager, then firing that inexperienced manager and appointing another inexperienced manager.I''m not convinced either way on AN – I would have preferred a more experienced man at the helm, but I''m not judging AN on Saturday alone. I''m just saying that IF that style of football shows itself at CR again, the fans will become disgruntled very quickly, and rightly so. Let''s hope it was just a blip due to three central midfielders being unavailable.