Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Could Counselling Be The Answer?

I''m not sure any of us can understand the long term impacts of relegation from the Premier League, but watching the players yesterday it was almost as if a collective depression and gloom had descended upon the side, each one of our boys running around with a little black cloud over their heads.
Could the problem with motivation and determination stem from the trauma of relegation?  As just one example, one minute you''re drinking Grey Goose vodka in the player''s lounge with Antonio Valencia, and then it''s half a pint of Watneys with Tyrone Mings.  Your Bentley becomes a Corsa, your WAG becomes Kerry Katona etc etc
Instead of the shouty "sergeant major" approach, should the club try to do more to explore the players feelings and concerns?

I think some of the players and fans need psychological help if I''m honest.

Actually bor maybe if the board came out of their hiding to unite the fans & club.

We have not really heard anything from them in two years!

Maybe a club statement to why they took so long to get rid of Hughton......why get rid with 5 games to go! Why go with Adams, then giving him the job in the summer.....now appointing a novice with a high profile team and squad full of ego''s.......

Wjat is their thought process over the last 2 years given tgey are custodians of our great club!

I think a group counselling session, where all the players can talk about their feelings (or in the case of Bradley Johnson, draw pictures to express their emotions) would be hugely cathartic and beneficial to the whole club.  
For example, Whittaker should be allowed to talk about how being asked to play as a defensive midfielder made him feel.
Much like "Lord of the Flies", whoever holds the conch shell can talk openly and without fear of retribution - what''s said in the room stays in the room, let''s get it all out into the open and move forward as a spiritually bonded unit.
Physical training and technique is important, of course, but we need to get the side emotionally attuned and aligned if we are to develop positive on-pitch outcomes going forward.

[quote user="Indy"]Actually bor maybe if the board came out of their hiding to unite the fans & club.

We have not really heard anything from them in two years!

Maybe a club statement to why they took so long to get rid of Hughton......why get rid with 5 games to go! Why go with Adams, then giving him the job in the summer.....now appointing a novice with a high profile team and squad full of ego''s.......

Wjat is their thought process over the last 2 years given tgey are custodians of our great club![/quote]That''s right. After all, we are the only club not to do this, the others are all competely transparent and tell the fans everything they''re thinking...

I believe the players are struggling with the burden of expectation, especially from us fans. In this League you can''t expect to win every game and teamwork ( as shown yesterday ) will win over ex Premier League players who don''t perform.

or perhaps a questionnaire for the players to fill out; anonymously if they prefer.

Questions will vary. Some with smily faces which are to be circled to say how they feel.

i.e "on a 1-10 scale (10 being ecstatic) How happy are you with the ''OTBC'' chant as the clubs main song?

Certainly a role for all genders and orientations.it may be as simple as Colney being on the wrong ley line, or the training pitch facing the wrong way. A root and branch review would out this stuff rather than relying on the revolving door fitted to the manager''s office to magically spew out the next chosen one.

Empowerment, basically.

I think we need to get one of them Fung Sway experts into Carrow Road.

It could be a simple thing such as re-hinging the dressing room to improve the flow of positive chi.