Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

At last, a manager who we can respect and who can communicate well.

Funny how this keeps happening though, isn''t it? And odd how its always everybody elses fault that they "misunderstand" you lol...

[quote user="morty"]Funny how this keeps happening though, isn''t it? And odd how its always everybody elses fault that they "misunderstand" you lol...[/quote]I have twice said I worded the op badly, so have admitted any lack of understanding was my fault.  So you carry on trying to twist things your way, if that''s what amuses you.  

[quote user="Herman "]I''ll come back and check in on page 20. Carry on.
[/quote]

Should be about 10.30pm tonight unless they get a room. [:P]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Herman "]I''ll come back and check in on page 20. Carry on.[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry to disappoint guys, am out tonight........try to keep Morty entertained in the meantime, there''s good chaps, it must be hard being perfect.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]How far back does the "at last" in your thread title refer to? Adams? Houghton?[/quote]

Not since Ron Saunders have we had a manager who has spoken with the clarity of thought that Alex Neil shows - imo. David Stringer was close as he was calm and clear about the way he wanted us to play and he was certainly respected, but for me AN is a step up from that. His manner is of someone who knows his own mind and will stick with what he knows will work.  Most managers will try things out to see if they will work - my impression is that AN doesn''t do "trying"  - he just "does".  Grant Holt at his best didn''t "try" to put the ball in the net - he just put it in the net.  This guy gives off the same vibe imo.  No nonsense, get on with it, 100% enthusiasm and effort combined with a good solid method and tactics. 

So to answer your question - 1972.

John Bond, Ken Brown, Dave Stringer, Mike Walker, Bruce Rioch, Nigel Worthington, Paul Lambert, Chris Hughton, Neil Adams....

You make it up as you go along......

[quote user="nutty nigel"]John Bond, Ken Brown, Dave Stringer, Mike Walker, Bruce Rioch, Nigel Worthington, Paul Lambert, Chris Hughton, Neil Adams....

You make it up as you go along......[/quote]

The point I''ve been trying to make all along is that hardly any manager - of ours or any other club - now or in the past speaks with such clarity of thought as AN.   All the above spoke well and were good managers (Rioch not so much) but everything AN says is on a different level of single mindedness and authority - imo.    Time will tell and I''m probably ahead of things, but rarely has a football manager inspired me with such confidence.      Hughton - who I thought was going to be a good long term manager - had clear thoughts about the game and how he wanted it played - but couldn''t inspire.  This guy to me looks and sounds a cut above most - hence this thread and the posting of the radio interview.   Just my opinion, based on first impressions, how people speak about him who know him, his behaviour at Bn''mth and just my instinct about the guy.   

How many other new managers on their first day would have had the courage and confidence to come down to the touchline when things were getting awkward, having already said they wouldn''t get involved and leave it to people who knew the players?   It is almost certain that is the reason we won that match.  Start as you mean to go on - and he did.  Inspiration from the word go.

"How many other new managers on their first day would have had the courage and confidence to come down to the touchline when things were getting awkward, having already said they wouldn''t get involved and leave it to people who knew the players? It is almost certain that is the reason we won that match. Start as you mean to go on - and he did. Inspiration from the word go"

The paragraph above say it all for me, I cant recall a manger of any club doing that, most would have sat in the directors box, commenting on the sending off as bad luck or poor discipline or the like. No Mr Neil, he new it was a potential game changer and had the confidence that he could help, even though he hadn''t yet taken a training session with his new players, just a few words at the hotel the night previous and before the match.

Once the game was won, he went round and thanked / congratulated the bench (other than one who was straight up the tunnel, and i''m sure that happened in the dressing room later) then came over to acknowledge the fans, and I for one felt something different at that time, from the players and the fans there was a feeling that was many levels above Cardiff earlier this season or even against Boro at Carra Rd a few seasons back when we came back from the dead,

We are now a whole week into our new manager, he is yet to have his first home game, but I have heard, read or been told nothing that changes my mind, this man exudes confidence and passion in every interview and that is hard to ignore, he does it clearly and well measured, this could be the perfect package, he just may have it all !!how does that song go "and I just cant get enough,,,,,,,,,cough Ipswich"

Well I know what LDC is trying to say and will, rather than pick holes in the actual words he used, respond to the sentiment instead.

In my view. the guy does indeed coms across in a different way, there is a "punchiness" and directness in his phraseology. It is a sense of purpose and smouldering determination which hopefully will translate to the players, they''ll know what they need to do and know what will happened if they don''t.

It is, in essence, a sense of "leadership", which is what many have said that we have lacked recently, at least on the pitch. We have had a lot of recent managers who have been just that- managers. But how many have been true "leaders"? Arguably only Paul Lambert in recent times, but even Paul while confident and a little edgy when here, did not, to me, seem quite so direct and convincing.

Early days indeed for AN, but the talk is promising and I hope that the confidence does not turn to arrogance and an inability to change tack if his first plan is not working. So far though I agree with LDC and I like what I hear.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Not since Ron Saunders have we had a manager who has spoken with the clarity of thought that Alex Neil shows - imo.[/quote]What was it in particular that Ron Saunders said or did in his first week that made you compare him so favourably with Alex Neil?A link to an interview would be handy for those of us whose memories are not what they were. [^o)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]Not since Ron Saunders have we had a manager who has spoken with the clarity of thought that Alex Neil shows - imo.[/quote]What was it in particular that Ron Saunders said or did in his first week that made you compare him so favourably with Alex Neil?A link to an interview would be handy for those of us whose memories are not what they were. [^o)][/quote]Not his first week, but some good insights here -Ron Saunders insights

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Herman "]I''ll come back and check in on page 20. Carry on.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry to disappoint guys, am out tonight........try to keep Morty entertained in the meantime, there''s good chaps, it must be hard being perfect.

[/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCyYuLQ7_Ws

Morty''s theme song[:D]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]Not since Ron Saunders have we had a manager who has spoken with the clarity of thought that Alex Neil shows - imo.[/quote]What was it in particular that Ron Saunders said or did in his first week that made you compare him so favourably with Alex Neil?A link to an interview would be handy for those of us whose memories are not what they were. [^o)][/quote]Not his first week, but some good insights here -Ron Saunders insights[/quote]Hardly an insight Lakey since it''s a product of the author''s imagination and it was written less than a month ago.We''ve all got fond memories of Ron Saunders and what he achieved but to compare the new guy with him and ignoring all the other managers nutty listed is naive in the extreme.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]Not since Ron Saunders have we had a manager who has spoken with the clarity of thought that Alex Neil shows - imo.[/quote]What was it in particular that Ron Saunders said or did in his first week that made you compare him so favourably with Alex Neil?A link to an interview would be handy for those of us whose memories are not what they were. [^o)][/quote]Not his first week, but some good insights here -Ron Saunders insights[/quote]Hardly an insight Lakey since it''s a product of the author''s imagination and it was written less than a month ago.We''ve all got fond memories of Ron Saunders and what he achieved but to compare the new guy with him and ignoring all the other managers nutty listed is naive in the extreme.[/quote]

Ok. I may be naive - but I didn''t ignore what Nutty said and the managers he mentioned - I answered the point.  Without going into a long post about every manager we''ve had in the last 45 years, it is my opinion that few of them showed such clarity of thought and leadership as AN already has.  They all had qualities - and I would say that in Bond, Brown, Stringer and Walker, we had a fantastic few years of management -  but in combining different attributes of what makes a great manager, I don''t think any of them could be described as great in the overall scheme of football.  Saunders is the nearest imo to what I am talking about, but he lacked a few niceties - but he did go on and win a championship with Villa. Which other of our managers ever did go on to become a top top manager?  They all struggled after leaving Norwich, Bond at ManCity, Walker at Everton, Worthy, Lambert...........

M O''Neill did well, but don''t really count him as he didn''t stay long enough - but he is the calibre I''m talking about.  AN is a manager on the way up and does have strong leadership characteristics that are plain to see to everyone - whether they know much about football or not.  He is the type that people will run through brick walls for - and that is what he will demand - and if they don''t for some reason they won''t stay in the team.  Lambert was great for us - but was a tinkerer with the squad, trying different things out.  I don''t think AN will tinker - he will look at it, know what he wants  and put it into action - and if we knew nothing else about him beforehand, he''s already demonstrated that at Bn''mth.  

LDC

"He DOES speak well and with authority and plainly commands respect from everyone he meets......,,"

"i really liked the tone of the interview - he has a good way with people and that is rare in a manager......"

"This fella seems to know what he wants, how he is going to get it "

A case of premature ejaculation I fear!

Technically he''s won one lost one. Unless you really believe that had we lost away to Bournemouth he would have claimed that as his first game.

"why? He''s won 2 lost 1. Surely the jury is still out?"

Easy answer to that one - MP was pretty much responsible for the first two victories

Brentford was AN''s first real game in charge and he reverted to hoof football and players out of position and showed he''s completely out of his depth

Slyly blaming the players for believing they are still in the Prem for the defeat, to cover up his own lack of knowledge and ability, won''t actually motivate the players to play for him

Its simple.  Under Hughton it was the players'' fault - but the manager wasn''t capable of sorting them out. Under Adams it was the players'' fault - but the manager wasn''t capable of sorting the, out. Under Neil it is still the players'' fault - but the manager will be capable of sorting them out. 

But he will need time........