Sign in to follow this  
Newton

Olssen & Redmond to jump ship with our best wishes

Given the shambolic way the board have managed appointments this season and the fact that not only have we wasted £17M plus in the transfer market in the summer, we now have very little chance of making the play offs

Should we now give our best wishes to our 2 best players as they attempt to further there careers elsewhere

The Norwich board can only be likened to the crew of the Titanic. We are sinking - who will be the last to jump ship, will Delia hang on to the bitter end or find a life boat to escape just before we end up in League 1 ?

We had a fantastic opportunity to establish our club in the Premier League but due to exceptionally poor management by the owners we are sinking faster than a stone - Delia needs to hand her head in shame - debt free yes, but who wants to watch L1 football (other than Delia)

I cannot get that expenditure anywhere near £17m in my calculations.Then there is income from sales (Snoddy, Fer, Surman, Pilkington) and money in from loans.I agree that for the most part the summer business has been poor, but we have yet to realise the talents of Vladis and the prospects that are McGrandles and Miquel.Also Grabban is a useful goalscorer to bring on, whilst O''Neil has been worth having.In hindsight the could have been better use made of the dosh, but at the time I think that most of us were quite happy with all the signings.

Back to point. I, personally, would be happy to accept £5m for Olsson, but feel that we should hang on to Nathan at all costs.

Olsson the same at Blackburn brilliant in the prem.

no interest playing in the championship.

He has been poor for us for the majority this season. Sell for £5 million. Could be a great sale this season.

As for redmond. Most improved player this season considering his start but with £8-9 million pounds being thrown around. Without a doubt sell for that. Replace him with the Birmingham boy for £4-5 million or have a cheeky go at Alex Pritchard at Brentford great player.

Grabban Vs Hooper.Head to head GrabbanCost - rumoured £3million. Appearances - 25, 10 of those from the bench as a substitute. 7 goals and two yellow cards.HooperCost - £5milliom. Appearances - 15 appearances, 5 of those from the bench. 6 goals and one yellow card.What that says to me is that we either paid over the odds for both, or that if Hooper is worth the money then Grabban is worth the money too. You need at least three decent strikers to make up for lack of form / injury and a bit of rotation. Grabban has looked decent to me, certainly a much better option than we had before he arrived.Grabban looks even better when you compare him to the amounts of money thrown around for other strikers with a similar record to him last season.Jerome at £1.5million was an absolute steal of a buy.Cuellar was a free which you can''t really grumble about - we needed defensive cover, especially with the Bassong ''issue''. Same with Hoiveld. Whilst neither have been a massive success, the fact that we have used them shows that we needed them. Should we have spent money on a good centre back? You''d have though Turner, R.Bennett and Martin would have suggested we had the strength there already, just needed back up. Turners lack of form, Bennett''s injuries and Bassong''s absence has caused issues at the back which means people will ask why a signing wasn''t made.McGrandles and Miquel are for the future, although Miquel was signed because he can also play left back. And although people have said he is not for the future at 22, I''d hasten to add that defenders tend to take a little longer to mature into their roles. I say ''tend'' as it''s not always. Like Ayala - sometimes they need a little bit more game time etc.That leaves us with O''Neil, Lafferty and Vadis. O''Neil and Lafferty at least can be seen to give it their all. We missed O''Neil on Saturday, not just because he is a central midfielder, but because he has shown he can be one of our best two central midfielders so far this season. His base level of performance is pretty good. Lafferty has struggled but then I think he''s only started a couple of games up front. Vadis  has been injured but in the game he did play, he looked good, a big powerful unit - at worse case he is yet to really have a chance to shine.I don''t see any of them as being ''rubbish'' or bad players. But I do see a team that is lacking coherency. And what makes that worse is a lack of confidence / form. That was highlighted on Saturday by a huge change in style of play and formation. If you are going to play long ball, stick five in the middle. If you are going to change formation, ensure that the team is ready for it. They weren''t on Saturday. At the end of the day the most important thing is how Neil and the lads respond to that. The squad hasn''t suddenly become rubbish. It''s been messed about a fair amount and now it needs to be settled down and re-focused.

Olssen I can accept going (especially if we can get Toffolo back from loan next season- he''s getting rave reviews at Swindon). Redmond however, we must at least try to keep. When we play poorly he seems to be our only threat (evidenced v. Brentford), he is always likely to create some chances.

BroadstairsR wrote the following post at 26/01/2015 12:03 AM:

I cannot get that expenditure anywhere near £17m in my calculations.

Broadstairs

The Fig of £17.1M is stated in the latest set of accounts and does not include the income from sales

[quote user="Newton"]

Broadstairs

The Fig of £17.1M is stated in the latest set of accounts and does not include the income from sales

[/quote]Thanks for that Newton, but what period are we talking about?I remember when I had a business I never quite knew what year my accountant was talking about either.Accounts are complicated for the layman, but I will stick to my original point and that is that our Summer acquisitions did not amount to that great sum.Off the top of my head:Grabban @ £3mJerome @ £2m (max)O''Neil, Cuellar  freeVladis? probably the most expensive say £4m+ McGrandles and the Arsenal defender   £2-3m? together.Plus loan fees.Any more? Somebody who has their finger on the pulse needs to intervene here to either correct or substantionate my assertions.

[quote user="Newton"]

Broadstairs

[/quote]

The accounts end June 2014 and don''t cover most of this summers dealings.

I wouldn''t mind seeing Olsson go for £5m as I think we''re well stocked there with Garrido a more than capable replacement (and dare I say it, more solid defensively). Toffolo to come back next season and challenge for his spot. Miquel to be emergency back up and if Garrido gets injured, we go to the loan market or try call Toffolo back.

This is the link to the accounts - it is on the very last page

http://www.canaries.co.uk/cms_images/annual-report-2014-web-version132-2037613.pdf

It states that since the accounts were finalised a number of players have been aquired (it lists them all) and that the gross liability in respect of these aquisitions is £13.6M with a further potential £3.5M in respect of bonus etc (it does not say that these will only be paid if we are promoted they could well be linked to appearances ?)

In total £17.1M

You forgot Lafferty Broadstairs. I know it''s hard to believe after seeing him play but we apparaintly spent £2 million on that donkey.

Think you need to have a rethink Newton....

Reading those accounts it is suggesting that our current outlay on new players is the 13.6m, this will include all the associated costs involved in getting those players in, ke signing on fees, agents fees and any other fees that the accountants can attribute to that "transaction". What it also suggests is that the subsequent sales of the players specified are also not within the account, therefore all of that will offset any money paid out.

As for the additional 3.5m then this will be bonuses paid on promotion etc, likely part of the Grabban transfer.

Stick with the point about whether the players are performing but time to drop the £17.1m argument as the net result is that we probably haven''t spent anything that we didn''t get in and therefore there should be money in the coffers to make some changes!

Rich T - what I am stating is fact -  £17.1M is our potential gross spend on aquisitions last summer (£13.6M up front - £3.5M to follow)

The overall quality those 10 purchases added to our squad is shocking - I cannot think of another word to describe it - certainly not money well spent

Adams did not evenbother to replace our 2 outgoing left midfield players but decided to accumulate 3 centre halves (the best one gives away a penalty each week) and 3 Centre Forwards who are unable to play with each other upfront, so we make one play left wing (Lafferty lasted for 45 mins saturday)

For you to claim that it does not matter as we recieved more than £17M from the sale proceeds of Snoddy, Fer, Pils & Surmon is laughable

No one runs a successful business by selling your prize assets and replacing them with rubbish

Continue to do this and we will be back in L1 quicker than you can say Delia

after this season olsson is welcome to go; if he wants to be here and adds some committment more than happy to keep him.

Redmond going would be a disaster

Think you missed the point again Newton and nowhere did I say it doesn''t matter that we have spent money on players who you deem to be shocking.

What I was suggesting to you is that your argument about money spent is correct in terms of value, although for all we know none of the additional amount may not be spent if it''s based on promotions etc.

Therefore what I was suggesting is that the Net result of our dealings is that we probably got more in than we spent on your shocking players and therefore there is I''m sure money to spend on improving our team.

For the record I don''t think any are as you put it shocking, however they did have a shocker at the weekend. But then again so did half of the players that were here last season. Does that make it shocking also that Adams wasted money by not getting rid of them?

Oh yeah, and you only have prize assets if they are prepared to stay and commit to the club, none of which clearly did, so therefore is it better to make money as a business on assists that you as a business no longer get value from or leave them in your business accumulating cost to your business.

[quote user="Newton"]

No one runs a successful business by selling your prize assets and replacing them with rubbish

[/quote]

You do if you decide to change your business and become a refuse processor.

"POST BALANCE SHEET EVENTS
Transfer of players’ registrations
Subsequent to the year end the Club has acquired the registrations of players
Lafferty, O’Neill, Cuellar-Jimenez,Rana-Jerome, McGrandles, Odjidja Ofoe, Thompson, and Miquel.
The Club also sold the registrations of Snodgrass, Pilkington, Fer, and Surman for an amount in excess of the carrying value at the balance sheet date.
.The net payment to which the club is committed to in respect of these transactions is £13.6m with a
maximum further amount due of £3.5m dependent on Club and/or player performance"So, basically - £1.5million for Jerome, £2million for Jerome, £4million for Vadis, £3million for Miquel and McGrandles, and £3million for Thompson and the registration/agents/signing on fees for O''Neill and Cuellar - at a rough guess.There are a couple of key bits there. "Committed to" (and I may need clarification/correction from Purple) suggests that this amount is not all ''up front'' or else they would have said paid already. It''s not unusual to have fees agreed but having them paid in installments.Then you have the last bit, "£3.5miollion dependent on Club and/or player performance" it''s possible that we could sell players on before they have triggered any clauses. So until they are met, we don''t pay anything.I suspect that if Jerome cost £1.5-2million he will have had other clauses attached to the sale. The biggest risk was Vadis who cost £4-4.5million going on most rumours. It''s hard to argue that the others were not worth it at this point.

I think we are all agreed that the £17M plus we received in the summer for the sale of Snoddy, Fer, Pilks & Surmon has basically been fritted away on the 10 additions Adams made

I stand by my suggestion that the purchases of the 3 C/Halves, Lafferty & Voo fall into the shocking category - others may think is was £10M plus well spent

The problem we have is that there are not many crown jewels left to sell. After Olssen & Redmond - who is left - please don''t say Ruddy, every team we have played at Carrow Road has a keeper who looks more assured than him

So £14M for these 2 when they eventually leave, once that''s spent we will be back to free transfers & cheap loans

Delia has no money to invest and we are, and will remain as we are constantly reminded debt free