Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Scouting Thoughts...

Considering the lack of options available in central midfield and that central defence has been a problem area, I would have selected 3 central defenders with Martin able to come forward and Johnson as the holding midfielder.This would also suit Olsson and Whittaker playing as wing-backs to get the ball forward earlier.I would have gone with both Jerome and Lafferty up front to give more of a physical presence to compete for early longer balls forward from wide areas. I would have selected Hooper centrally behind the front 2 as he is decent at linking midfield and attack. That would leave Redmond and Wes flexibility to go wide or inside. I think this is the best that could have been selected under such difficult circumstances:                         Ruddy            Martin   Turner  MiquelWhitaker          Johnson        Olsson                            Redmond   Hooper    Wes                 Jerome        Lafferty

Ha ha priceless.

I must admit it looked a decent balanced line up, pretty similar to what i had thought but couldnt fit 12 players in.

What a great tactical brain and i bet all managers wish they could play that formation!

With respect Tom, please put your thoughts on here before the game, and then you wouldn''t look sanctimonious.

Apart from playing 12, Whittaker has played in midfield, and the talk before the game, amongst us ''non scouts'' was that, considering the options available to AN, that it was probably the best we could offer.

Also, why did you think that Miguel was a better option than Bassong, if you didn''t want to select Cuellar?

I thought scouting was about identifying potential targets BEFORE they actually signed rather than selecting a team from players already here. And then to select 12 players..........PRICELESS! [:D]

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]

I''m on the look out for a thread saying "If I''d bought a Lottery ticket on Saturday, I would have picked 4, 8, 19, 35, 44 and 49"

[/quote]

Tom''s numbers were 4, 8, 19, 35, 44, 49 and 17.

I still somehow managed to mess up some text after copy and paste and previewing a few times. This old forum code needs updating. Try again:                         Ruddy            Martin   Turner  MiquelWhitaker          Johnson        Olsson                            Redmond   Hooper    Wes                        Jerome        Subs:McGrandlesCuellarElliot BennettRuddLafferty (only played up front)

[quote user="tom cavendish"]I still somehow managed to mess up some text after copy and paste and previewing a few times. This old forum code needs updating.[/quote]I don''t think you can blame the forum software Tom as you dropped Lafferty from your 12 after specifically mentioning him.......[quote user="tom cavendish"]I would have gone with both Jerome and Lafferty up front[/quote]How would the forum software be able to name an additional player if he wasn''t mentioned when you previewed the post?

If you play 3 at the back surely it''s got to be more stable than that in the centre of the park?

-------------------Ruddy-------------------

-------Martin---Turner---Bassong-----

Redmond--Tettey--Johnson--Olsson

-------------------Hoolahan---------------

-------------Jerome------Hooper--------

In that scenario though I''d rather play Howson for Jerome as the midfield it the much more compact and we can play more of a possession game, suited to Hooper:

-------------------Ruddy-------------------

-------Martin---Turner---Bassong-----

Redmond--Tettey--Johnson--Olsson

-------------Howson---Hoolahan--------

--------------------Hooper-----------------

The next time there''s a managerial vacancy we should start a campaign for ''the forum software'' to get the job.

I don''t see Lafferty as a footballer and would send him to the first club gullable enough to cough up £2 million quid for him, if there is another club out there!

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]I bet there''s going to be some weird suggestions for the team against Birmingham.[/quote]

I''m sure there will be, but not until Monday

"why did you think that Miguel was a better option than Bassong, if you didn''t want to select Cuellar?"As the team would have been playing a wing-back system, I would have selected Miquel instead of Cuellar or Bassong for his mobility getting across to cover.Miquel is an inexperienced youngster so starting him in a back 3 plus wing-backs to help gain some experience should be more forgiving than a traditional back 4 and a weak midfield.If Bassong was fully fit and back to his best then of course he would be the first choice central defender, but it has been a long time since then.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]"why did you think that Miguel was a better option than Bassong, if you didn''t want to select Cuellar?"

As the team would have been playing a wing-back system, I would have selected Miquel instead of Cuellar or Bassong for his mobility getting across to cover.

Miquel is an inexperienced youngster so starting him in a back 3 plus wing-backs to help gain some experience should be more forgiving than a traditional back 4 and a weak midfield.

If Bassong was fully fit and back to his best then of course he would be the first choice central defender, but it has been a long time since then.[/quote]

I think that Miguel is perfectly suited to the false 12 position.

TCCANARY wrote the following post at 26/01/2015 2:27 PM:The next time there''s a managerial vacancy we should start a campaign for ''the forum software'' to get the job.

------------------------------------

Joint managerial roles perhaps. :)

Does anyone know if there has ever been two managers or head coaches running the same team at the same time before?

Having had a bit of contact with, and therefore little respect for, scouts. your latest ''wise after the event ''report amuses me highly, just as when a scout will say ''i saw that coming'', funny how i''ve never heard one say...''you know whats gonna happen next''.

Still, where would the game be without these guys valuable contributions, Keep ''em coming Tom, just what a drab January Monday needs...a good chuckle.

By the way i''m sure we would have been a bit more difficult to beat if we had 12 players on the pitch. Good call, can we use the same line up v Brum?

[quote user="mrs miggins"]TCCANARY wrote the following post at 26/01/2015 2:27 PM:The next time there''s a managerial vacancy we should start a campaign for ''the forum software'' to get the job. ------------------------------------ Joint managerial roles perhaps. :) Does anyone know if there has ever been two managers or head coaches running the same team at the same time before?[/quote]

They could each manage 6 players.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="mrs miggins"]TCCANARY wrote the following post at 26/01/2015 2:27 PM:The next time there''s a managerial vacancy we should start a campaign for ''the forum software'' to get the job. ------------------------------------ Joint managerial roles perhaps. :) Does anyone know if there has ever been two managers or head coaches running the same team at the same time before?[/quote]

They could each manage 6 players.[/quote]

We would need eight subs to even things up......

Oh, and two technical areas at the side of the pitch. [;)]

Tom Cavendish - ""why did you think that Miguel was a better option than Bassong, if you didn''t want to select Cuellar?"

As the team would have been playing a wing-back system, I would have selected Miquel instead of Cuellar or Bassong for his mobility getting across to cover.

Miquel is an inexperienced youngster so starting him in a back 3 plus wing-backs to help gain some experience should be more forgiving than a traditional back 4 and a weak midfield.

If Bassong was fully fit and back to his best then of course he would be the first choice central defender, but it has been a long time since then."

Tom - I''ve got to hand it to you. A self-proclaimed ex-football scout, you publish your team selection and tactics 48 hours after the game, and after proposing a formation that included 11 outfield players, plus a goalie, you resolutely defend your team selection.

It''s brilliant! I''ve been chuckling to myself all afternoon.

I don''t think Redmond could be as effective as a wingback, he''s not known for his defensive abilities and he may not perform as well going forward. I think we have to look at how Liverpool utilise Sterling in a front three. This could work for us but it''s just a question of who plays on the other wing.

Ruddy

Martin. Turner. Bassong

Whittaker. Tettey. Johnson Olsson

Redmond. Jerome

Hooper

[quote user="mrs miggins"]TCCANARY wrote the following post at 26/01/2015 2:27 PM:The next time there''s a managerial vacancy we should start a campaign for ''the forum software'' to get the job.

------------------------------------

Joint managerial roles perhaps. :)

Does anyone know if there has ever been two managers or head coaches running the same team at the same time before?[/quote]

I think it is pretty rare, but not unknown. Sweden

had Soderberg and Lagerback as joint-managers from 2000 to 2004, and

supposedly they were equals. And that seemed to work well enough in

terms of results. That might suggest it is feasible at the international

level, where the job is rather different to that of a club manager.

I think the idea of the extra man has merit and letting it be Lafferty is added genius. It would allow us to keep him on the pitch after he has picked up the obligatory yellow and still not be a man light after he gets his second.

On the subject if scouts, are we relying on the same bunch who brought us all these recent-year gems? Because if we are, things are even worse now with Alex Neil having little exposure thus far to English football.