Sign in to follow this  
Tim Dawson

Transfer window madness

Every January the transfer window manages to drive me nuts, obviously changing manager when we did has delayed us doing any business but there is no-one linked to us, no rumours, absolutely nothing.

We are quite clearly crying out for a left winger, a creative midfielder, a commanding centre back and a right back for competition, clearly to have any chance of a promotion push these area`s need addressing now.

Now who to bring in is another question but the other Thompson brother at Swindon has been excellent at right back for them and Matt Jarvis has barely warmed the bench this season at West Ham, a loan to us may kick`start his career again.

This year maybe i will be surprised and we might bring some good players in last minute, but like me do you think its gonna be another January of disappointment ! ( Think Becchio, Elmander and Kamara )

Panic ye not Tim

There is plenty of time still ,and there hasn''t been much of note happening yet (which would set off a chain reaction normally)

We do have a capable squad, but they are not showing it to their fullest potential, so are wholesale changes required, or tweaking of what we have? I guess the answer to that question, is that as we do not know enough about Alex Neil, to quantify that yet, despite the poor showing by the players on Saturday

Matt jarvis is someone i was going to suggest as well. Also what about junior hoilett and matt Phillips at QPR?

Only doubt i have with these are I think they are all predominantly right footed meaning inverted wide men not always giving natural balance.

I would like junior stanislas from Bournemouth as a natural pacey all out left footed wide player.

Any other suggestions?

I can''t see any player currently in a team placed higher than us in the Championship would want to come to us at this stage of the season. Why would they, when they''re in a better position and a better chance of promotion. A sub or squad member at a Prem club is a more likely target. Maybe Gray at Birmingham, but that''s only likely if Redmond leaves.  But a lot of Prem clubs are looking at him too and Birmingham are doing the same as we are with Olsson and saying he can only go for big money, ie to a desperate club with lots of cash.

Woodman - money is always a consideration: I would imagine we''d be able to blow the current deals out of the water for most players in the teams above us, so if a lower PL side doesn''t come calling then we might be an attractive proposition. And despite our current lagging behind, we aren''t far off the pace and with a decent squad so players might think of us as a better bet, even if many of our ''supporters'' seem to concentrate on the negative.

Glad to hear you guys think Jarvis is a good shout too, not sure why some think we are not an attractive proposition, debt free club with a full stadium, a decent squad with a chance of play-offs or promotion, surely that must be of some appeal.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I still think our most important buy is a Centre back. We really need to push the boat out here.[/quote]So you don''t believe there is enough quality in the combined talents of Turner, Cuellar, Bennett, Bassong, Miquel, Martin and Gafaiti? I know we have been underperforming but that''s the one area of the squad that we''re spoilt for choice. A left-footed wide midfielder and right-back cover is probably the most important.

If you thik that JS what you are really saying is that the cetral defenders we have lack quality to a man.We have more thann enough contenders and perhaps we need to unload before we add.Cuellar is clearly past his best so he would be first on my list.The Miquel situation puzzles me. Why exactly did Adams see fit to spend money on this boy? He has never had a sniff at a first team appearance and we are already stocked up with promising youngsters at the Club in all positions.Bassong is looming and hopefully his re-incarnation will go some way towards solving the problem.

Left midfield can be solved by moving BJ there to compete with Lafferty, but is a more likely purchase need.

Right back is adequate for this league, poor games aside, both SW & RM "will do" for now.

Full backs - are not really the problem, the space they leave behind as they think they are wingers is - get them to play as a pair (shock - teamwork! one forward, one back) rather than individuals.

CBs - not a found a partnership yet, perhaps a bassong news signing will improve things. The squad needs its complacency shook up.

The yawning emerging gap is defensive cm. Saturday highlighted the paucity of quality there from both SW & BJ, neither are good or disciplined enough there. Add in Tetteys legs constantly give out, Neil has broken his foot meaning he is out for some time and VOO another injury scare.

That only leaves Howson who shuffles well but rarely wins the ball; his strengths are higher up the pitch. As such we need at least a 2 month loan of 1/2 def midfielder to plug the gap.

Given how often we lose control of midfield, midfield runners sat was not a one off and is our priority.

Feedthewolf you can argue we have got a glut of centre-backs but seemingly not two that work together really well, herein lies the problem !!

Turner - Decent but slow

Cuellar - same as above but more so

Bennett - decent but fitness issues

Bassong - does he want to be here?

Miquel - Not good enough so far

Martin - decent but needed at right back more

Gafaiti - not ready?

Jarvis is a great shout for LM, im also supprised he isnt getting more football. If Big Sam doent need him he would be a very welcome addition at Carra Rd

Bassong imho is the best Cb at the club and i cannot wait to hopefully see him in the firdt 11 again. Hope he has a new lease of life under the new manager because on his dau he really is solid and thats what we have been missing.

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]Feedthewolf you can argue we have got a glut of centre-backs but seemingly not two that work together really well, herein lies the problem !![/quote]We have a new manager who is tasked with finding a partnership that works. Turner and Bassong have looked excellent together for spells in the Premier League, and Cuellar, Bennett and Miquel are more than adequate cover.

I think we are more likely to be looking at savings by off loading players currently with us rather than adding any big name buys.I suspect the summer reality of still being in the Championship is already on the minds of the board.

whoareyou? wrote the following post at 28/01/2015 7:53 AM:

I think we are more likely to be looking at savings by off loading players currently with us rather than adding any big name buys.

I suspect the summer reality of still being in the Championship is already on the minds of the board.

Unfortunately you can only off load players if somebody wants them!

And the only ones that might be wanted would be the ones I wouldn''t want to off load!

Its reported Cardiff are on the verge of signing Matt Jarvis on loan, surely we are a more attractive prospect, Cmon Alex get your finger out !!

We need to build a centre back partnership fast.

I do think we need to add, we have a spine to the team but it is shaky.

I would want a new centre half, in fact with the aim of going up I would want us to buy another in the off season.

Bassong is capable but has a record of a large number of relegations, turner is good cover... The others seriously are making up the numbers.

Bennett has never had long enough but does not have the pace, cuellar is at the end of his career, Miquel is a squad player and development player.

I certainly do not buy into them and who are loving our young kids. They are not going to get us promoted so they can develop slowly. Right now promotion is key.

Sold on Jarvis, we need that quality, we are screaming out for quality at the moment. I do not want to see bj out wide this season. That is not the sign of a team wanting to get the best to get out of this league and play in the premiership.

We need a creative spark who scores goals, our central midfield group needs some goals in it soon. I believe VOO will be great but until he is fit and running the show we have very little.

I agree there can be an exodus in the summer, but no problem if it started now, none of our players will go to teams above us, ruddy, Olsson and Redmond are the exceptions. But we have a gaggle of average championship players playing for 11 positions. Fortunately it is a senior team with experience behind them, so they should be able to execute more readily.

We need a centre half, left midfielder and attacking threat from midfield this transfer window. AN needs to get moving on new additions and bed them in.

I recall when Peter grant took over he had a dossier on all our players and knew what he needed to do. This appointment has seemed to have just coasted along without any urgency to big holes in this squad which Phelan saw after a few days.

Yes it happens behind the scenes, but we need to motor on new additions.