Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Olsson at left mid?

...with Garrido at LB. Yes/no?  At least while we''re having this midfield ''crisis''.  Possible option i''d have thought.

Definitely more solid and a better balance. How great would it be to have an entirely left footed side of the team - eg

Martin - Turner - Bassong - Garrido

Redmond - Tettey - Johnson - Olsson

Wes/Hooper

Jerome

Suddenly looks balanced, strong, disciplined and more comfortable for eveyone!

Have to say that does look solid and creative with pace in there too.....very good shout indeed.

Thought about emailing Neil with that. 😉

Perhaps for this weekend only - but personally would prefer to go Garrido at left back and lafferty in front of him and drop olsson

What do you mean Barclay? We had exactly the same team that won against Cardiff only we didn''t have a centre midfielder so he decided to put in whittaker, surely that was the problem. I know we were unbalanced, but how was he to know that when he saw us play so well against cardiff (well for 60mins as he says)?

I mean. Mrs , that this idea has been muted on many occasions as a remedy for a weak midfield . So in a situation like the one we faced with a lack of midfielders ,, to me it would seem a no brainer .

Possibly because if we were comparing our perceived values and levels of quality between players available ,,, I would choose Garrido over Whittaker every time .

While agreeing that for half the Cardiff game we looked good ,, it was the course of events as they unfolded , which in my mind , should have maybe spurred the manager into a more robust midfieldd than we saw ,, and to be honest ,,, once again the subs , and the timings of such were a little baffling imo

Olsson was the one member of the defence who came out of Saturdays game without a blemish on his card. The defeat would have been heavier without his timely interceptions.I seem to recall Garrido playing left midfield in a pre season friendly. He was neat and tidy with his passing and certainly better in the tackle than Whits. I was surpised he was not considered for this position after all our injury problems.

Hopefully Bassong''s good performance last night will push him into that CB position. Like the idea of Garrido and Olsson. Gives speed and balance, which we''ve lacked most of the season, and puts two combative midfielders in Tettey & Johnson to hold the middle of the park.Whether the manager decides to go for this is another thing!

Interesting how people see different things.

I thought olsson was poor on sat, incessantly out of position and allowed jota too much space and lost that battle. The first goal summarized his game, suicidally too far forward, defended by jota yet 20 yards behind when he scored. No commitment working back

Lafferty suffers in covering him, and if he is so unfit why was he closer to jota than olsson? Because he was again covering the space olsson left and could be arsed. A huge number of his fouls, and his only one on sat, occur stopping teams exploiting olsson ill discipline.

And some double standards, he commits fouls less frequently than bj, who is loved for it?

[quote user="ricardo"]I seem to recall Garrido playing left midfield in a pre season friendly. He was neat and tidy with his passing and certainly better in the tackle than Whits. I was surpised he was not considered for this position after all our injury problems.[/quote]Hmm, Ricardo, there''s a huge difference between playing there in a pre-season kick about friendly and in a vital crunch Championship game in January .I''m afraid that I can see absolutely no point in this day and age in deliberately setting out to play a player out of his natural position. Sometimes , of course, in emergency during a game (injuries, red cards etc), but from the start ??!! Never.Under the circumstances on Sat, if we did not have the personnel to play in the preferred format, AN should have changed the format to suit those able-bodied people available . Especially when it became so obvious from the start that it was not working.  Like most, I''m happy to give Neil some slack, as this must be a HUGE learning curve for him. A valuable lesson he learnt from Saturday''s fiasco is surely what he can get away with in the Scots Div One /SPL is fundamentally different from the Championship in England.

But think is Reggie, how "out of position" is it really to play a fast attacking left full back 10 yards up the pitch? All you really do in doing that is take some (not all) of his defensive responsibilities off him and ask him to concentrate a bit more on getting to the by line and getting good ball in to the box. Which he already does.

wonder how Garrido performs in training? Perhaps that''s the reason why he isn''t getting a look in. I was baffled by one of Neil''s comments at one of his first press releases when he said we lacked left footed players. This thread has proved we have plenty - but admittedly no obvious one at left midfield.

I have posted in a couple of threads previously this week about Olsson slotting into the left side of midfield. Think he has all the attributes to be an excellent left midfielder/winger. Will also understand the need to track back and help the left back. I am sure he plays in this position for the Swedish national team.

Only concern I have regarding Garrido is that he is rather suspect to the high cross field ball which has been exploited by teams previously.

In the championship, Olsson/Garrido looks a formidable partnership.