Sign in to follow this  
stew79

Our best team

First post so go easy on me, I''ve been a fan for 25 years and lurked for a few years on this forum.

What are peoples'' thoughts on our best 11? My suggestion here:

Jerome Hooper

Hoolahan

Johnson Redmond

Tettey

Olsson Bassong Turner Martin

Ruddy

Diamond formation. It plays our best two strikers, our most creative player (Hoolahan), balance in the CB and MC positions (left footers). Tettey covers Redmond and Johnson covers Olsson when they bomb forward. Can replace Redmond with Howson to make more solid. Bennett may be a better option than Turner when fit.

I wouldn''t overly disagree with that. On paper and on their day that probably is close to being our best side.However, I would be tempted to switch O''Neil for Tettey, simply because his use of the ball is so much better.At the moment though, I am surprised people are suggesting the diamond midfield as the answer to our problems. Our defense is shot in terms of confidence and being settled at the moment. That makes it a little fragile.Playing a diamond midfield invites attacks out wide, typically where pace lurks. It could expose the defense more, and at this point in time, I''d say we''d be better served trying to get some clean sheets rather than try the score more than them approach.

Welcome for me it is as follows:

Ruddy

Ollson Bassong Bennett Garrido

Redmond Howson Tettey We really need a Left Mid

Jerome and Hoops

Wes to be used as an impact sub or make up a 5 man midfield for 1 up front or to replace Tettey for games against poor sides at home!

Note no Russell Martin or Turner or Whittacker

[quote user="chicken"]I wouldn''t overly disagree with that. On paper and on their day that probably is close to being our best side.However, I would be tempted to switch O''Neil for Tettey, simply because his use of the ball is so much better.At the moment though, I am surprised people are suggesting the diamond midfield as the answer to our problems. Our defense is shot in terms of confidence and being settled at the moment. That makes it a little fragile.Playing a diamond midfield invites attacks out wide, typically where pace lurks. It could expose the defense more, and at this point in time, I''d say we''d be better served trying to get some clean sheets rather than try the score more than them approach.[/quote]

Agree with you re. O''Neil''s use of the ball, his set piece delivery probably best in the squad too. Tettey benefits in terms of his energy and ground he can cover...

Ruddy

RB R.Bennett Bassong Olsson

Tettey Johnson

Redmond Howson/Hoolahan/Hooper LM

Jerome

Cant decide between Howson, Hooper or Hoolahan. Definately need a RB and a LM.

Difficult question. Not necessarily our best players, but one configuration I would like to see if players are fit and in form is -                     RuddyWhittaker Martin Bassong Garrido  Redmond O''Neill Tettey   Ollson                      Vadis                      Grabban

Bench - Rudd, Lafferty, Jerome,Hooper, R.Bennett, Howson, Murphy.

Where I would strengthen this window is LM as we have no cover for Johnson (and haven''t replaced Surman/Pilkington).