Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Bassong watch

Can''t make tonight, hope for an update on him after the game. If he can get back to the Bassong of the first season here it would solve a major problem in the centre of our defence.

Chris goreham tweeted that he played well and was giving lots of advice and support to the younger guys. Came off after 60mins aswell as Garrido so maybe in the managers thoughts for saturday.

Harry Toffolo tweeted: Good to see Bassong back in a Norwich shirt tonight! 😁

So maybe that tells you the opinion of other players.

I went to the game and kept a very close eye on Bassong lol what was quite noticeable was that he gave the kids loads of encouragement thoughtout the game. The defence weren''t put under too much pressure last night but even so I thought he did fine as did Miquel and Garrido,
One lad who impressed me was the young rightback number 2 Hall-Johnson, pacey and had a great game, definitely one to watch out for.
Bassong and Garrido were withdrawn in the 60th min so Im guessing they will be involved on Saturday

I thought Bassong was superb last night. Tracked everything, great passing, played the ball out of defence, showed a few tricks and you could hear his voice well. Communicating all the time. Regardless of opposition, he confirmed that even if half fit he is our best CB and just what we have been missing. I have been a doubter and dislike his attitude and antics but on a footballing level, get him back in ASAP.

only because i cant see the club captain being dropped (I would prefer Garrido too) I can see our back four being

Martin Cuellar Bassong Olsson

Whilst Turner hasnlt exactly covered himself in glory surely in the short term he has to partner Bassong? We know that they can work well together and Cuellar has given away 3 penalties now in a handful of matches.

In a few weeks time I hope that our CB partnership will be Bennett and Bassong. Different league to what we have been putting out for most of the season. If we can get beyond the transfer window and play a settled back 4 of Martin, Bennett, Bassong and Olsson/Garido then we may start getting somewhere.

Going with the familar does make sense jim - turner and bassong know each other.

However although cuellar has been involved in three pens some of them were soft decisions, his overall play has been much better than turners (not great, but better) this season.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Going with the familar does make sense jim - turner and bassong know each other.

However although cuellar has been involved in three pens some of them were soft decisions, his overall play has been much better than turners (not great, but better) this season.[/quote]

Fair point. I don;t think there is really much to choose between Cuellar and Turner. What i do know though is that I don;t want to see them playing together as a CB pairing again!

In fairness, I suppose we''ve not seen Cuellar and Bassong together yet. Hell, we''ve had so many CB combinations this season, then why not try another one ? Eventually this ''perm any two from 6'' idea will come up trumps ,by the law of averages !I too agree that , with the caveat that his mind is right, Bassong is by some distance the best CB at this club. As Brentford proved on Saturday the current pairing will always be found wanting when against speed and quality.

[quote user="cityangel"]I went to the game and kept a very close eye on Bassong lol what was quite noticeable was that he gave the kids loads of encouragement thoughtout the game. The defence weren''t put under too much pressure last night but even so I thought he did fine as did Miquel and Garrido,
One lad who impressed me was the young rightback number 2 Hall-Johnson, pacey and had a great game, definitely one to watch out for.
Bassong and Garrido were withdrawn in the 60th min so Im guessing they will be involved on Saturday
[/quote]

Bearing in in mind the amount of time he spent with the youth team, he must be on familiar terms with them.

Budapest Canary wrote the following post at 29/01/2015 7:13 PM:

cityangel wrote:
I went to the game and kept a very close eye on Bassong lol what was quite noticeable was that he gave the kids loads of encouragement thoughtout the game. The defence weren''t put under too much pressure last night but even so I thought he did fine as did Miquel and Garrido,

Bearing in in mind the amount of time he spent with the youth team, he must be on familiar terms with them.

I hope he has not been leading them astray!

As mentioned in my previous post, there seems to be bugger all vocal communication between our cb''s and hardly any between the defence at all really. Seeing Bassong being so vocals and running things reminded me of his season when he was voted POTS. A great player on his day. Is it me or does Cuellar look depressed and always head down?