Sign in to follow this  
Newton

EDP Dare to question the quality of our summer spending spree

For weeks I have questioned the quality of our summer aquisitions only to be attacked on all fronts by the Delia loving Trolls who try and police the board (most hunt in packs as they are unable to have a debate on a one to one basis)

I have been accused of many things including being an anti club shyte ? purely because I felts Adams wasted a lot of money in the summer and the responsibility sits with the Owners & Board for appointing someone who was out of his depth

Trolls I have news for you the EDP now feel the same way as me and many genuine fans - direct copy of an article in todays Evening News

Upon relegation Neil Adams made nine signings, which rose to 10 if you count the Jos Hooiveld loan. It felt like this squad had been given a major overhaul upon relegation – the fresh start it so needed.

But take a closer look at the records of those 10 and big question marks appear as how good those deals were. Cameron Jerome is the only one that could be warranted a downright success. The jury remains out on Lewis Grabban, Kyle Lafferty, Gary O’Neil and Carlos Cuellar, while the rest have been rarely seen, if at all.

So do the EDP also publish anti club shyte  ?

Trolls do you want to appoligise individually or shall I just list all the names in one post ?

Did the EDP make any mention of the money spent on signings and if so did it accord with any of the various figures you have bandied about on this message board.

From the excerpt you have posted I disagree with the EDP regarding Gary O`Neill as from what I have seen of him he looks a decent acquisition.

In summary I think the EDP have published shyte, whether it is anti club or not is another matter, however you have latched on to it as it is yet another stick for you to beat the club with......

Yawn. I think it is more the continuous barrage of ''all our players/signings are crap'' posts that annoy people; you really don''t have to repeat it 5 times a day. One or two paragraphs in an edp article is about right. No one in their right mind would say that all our signings have been out-and-out successes (are they ever?), but nor were they all bought to go straight in the first team, so you can''t necessarily judge them by that measure.

They are purely stating facts.

I feel the squad is frustratingly close to being good. A bit more mobility in the centre of the park both in defence and midfield (as it seems we can''t keep them fit and/or motivated) and we''re there.

I wonder if Tettey can play centre back?!

It''s one man''s opinion, David Powles in this case, not the whole of the EDP''s. Some of it I agree with some of it I don''t. He has written it well, no stupid numbers thrown about and no ranting. No problems[Y]

I do not agree that the players brought in were poor.

Many are good players but, unfortunately they only make for a disjointed team.

No consideration seems to have been given to whether the players could play together.

All the pieces of the jigsaw are there ...... they just don''t fit together.

[quote user="Newton"]

For weeks I have questioned the quality of our summer aquisitions only to be attacked on all fronts by the Delia loving Trolls who try and police the board (most hunt in packs as they are unable to have a debate on a one to one basis)

I have been accused of many things including being an anti club shyte ? purely because I felts Adams wasted a lot of money in the summer and the responsibility sits with the Owners & Board for appointing someone who was out of his depth

Trolls I have news for you the EDP now feel the same way as me and many genuine fans - direct copy of an article in todays Evening News

Upon relegation Neil Adams made nine signings, which rose to 10 if you count the Jos Hooiveld loan. It felt like this squad had been given a major overhaul upon relegation – the fresh start it so needed.

But take a closer look at the records of those 10 and big question marks appear as how good those deals were. Cameron Jerome is the only one that could be warranted a downright success. The jury remains out on Lewis Grabban, Kyle Lafferty, Gary O’Neil and Carlos Cuellar, while the rest have been rarely seen, if at all.

So do the EDP also publish anti club shyte  ?

Trolls do you want to appoligise individually or shall I just list all the names in one post ?

[/quote]

So after spending several posts demonstrating that you don''t understand accounts you''ve moved onto not understanding how journalism works.

Well done.

TCC I love your posts

Start no where - say nothing and end up no where

Top Troll

Thank you for admitting we dont all share your narrow views

I know it hurts but just accept it

Purple posted

Just to help Newton, and others, it is only fair to give the full text of this post-balance sheet section in the accounts, which is as follows:

"Subsequent to the year end the Club has acquired the registrations of players Lafferty, O’Neil, Cuellar-Jimenez, Rana-Jerome, McGrandles, Odjidja Ofoe, Thompson, and Miquel.

"The club also sold the registrations of Snodgrass, Pilkington, Fer, and Surman for an amount in excess of the carrying value at the balance sheet date.

"The net payment to which the club is committed to in respect of these transactions is £13.6m with a maximum further amount due of £3.5m dependent on Club and/or player performance

Eveyone, I must apologise for assuming that the gross spend on our summer 10 was potentially £17.1M (£13.6M + £3.5M mentioned above)

As Purple kindly pointed out the £13.6M is the net liability after receipt of transfer fees for our 4 sales less the balance sheet value of there registration.

Bearing in mind we purchased Snoddy for less than £2M & sold for around £7M plus we were rumoured to have doubled our money on Fer. The actual gross spend on our summer 10 is almost certain to be in excess of £13,6M plus of course potentially a further £3.5M

Bearing in mind I am in agreement with the EDP article which claims out of the 10 only Jerome has proved his worth and as our total gross outlay may be nearer to £20M than the £13.6M mentioned you can see why we have not splashed the cash in this window

Read the post Herman,

£13.6 is the net liability after deduction of player sales les the book value of there registrations

Bearing in mind players registrations in accounts are never more than the purchase price of a player and also bearing in mind we made substantial profits on Fer & Snoddy - it would lead anyone who mad basic maths to work out without there profit taken into account the net liability would have been substantially higher

The worrying thing is how much did we actually pay for the summer 10 & who was responsible for negotiating the fees ?

Sorry Herman

All I did was assume that the book values of Fer , Pilkington & Surman where matched by the transfer fees received for the trio (profit Fer small loss of the other 2)

Snoddy must be showing a profit of £5M

£13.6M + £5M = £18,6M gross spend

These figures are estimates - please also remember that when a player is purchased his registration value in the accounts is almost always the transfer fee and each year this is depreciated. Surman Snoddy & Pilks may have valued at nominal sums bearing in mind how long they have been with us

Perhaps Purple will at some stage have a look at this as he seems to be quite knowledgeable on these things

[quote user="Newton"]Purple posted

Just to help Newton, and others, it is only fair to give the full text of this post-balance sheet section in the accounts, which is as follows:

"Subsequent to the year end the Club has acquired the registrations of players Lafferty, O’Neil, Cuellar-Jimenez, Rana-Jerome, McGrandles, Odjidja Ofoe, Thompson, and Miquel.

"The club also sold the registrations of Snodgrass, Pilkington, Fer, and Surman for an amount in excess of the carrying value at the balance sheet date.

"The net payment to which the club is committed to in respect of these transactions is £13.6m with a maximum further amount due of £3.5m dependent on Club and/or player performance.

Eveyone, I must apologise for assuming that the gross spend on our summer 10 was potentially £17.1M (£13.6M + £3.5M mentioned above).

As Purple kindly pointed out the £13.6M is the net liability after receipt of transfer fees for our 4 sales less the balance sheet value of there registration.

Bearing in mind we purchased Snoddy for less than £2M & sold for around £7M plus we were rumoured to have doubled our money on Fer. The actual gross spend on our summer 10 is almost certain to be in excess of £13,6M plus of course potentially a further £3.5M

Bearing in mind I am in agreement with the EDP article which claims out of the 10 only Jerome has proved his worth and as our total gross outlay may be nearer to £20M than the £13.6M mentioned you can see why we have not splashed the cash in this window[/quote]Er no. I haven''t said that at all. I haven''t said what is meant by that net liability. All I have done is reproduce what is said in the accounts. I haven''t interpreted it for you, because you purported to understand this stuff and so seemed to need interpretation.As to whether your interpretation is correct, and the extreme conclusions you draw from it, perhaps the best clue to that comes in your inability to count the number of players we signed in the summer. In your maths eight has become ten.

there''s little doubt that giving Adams a 3 and a half year contract and then "sacking" him just 8 months into it is a major admission of an error on the board''s part......and so with it must come the admission of backing the wrong person to have spent the money we did in the summer.

when you look at what our strongest XI it could be it would be easily argued that other than Jerome the whole team would be players who were here last season, so it could be argued that in actual fact we didnt have the funds available to buy anyone who would have improved our first eleven?

.....our biggest error in the summer wasn''t necessarily who we signed but the fact that it has been unbalanced in certain areas all season ,which has cost us dearly.

to now be at the end of January and STILL not have a wide left midfielder is unbelievable.

replacing Bassong with a roll call that has included Cueller,Hooiveld and Martin comes a close second.

Thank you Purple - yes you are right - if u add in the cost of Grabham & the other CH that got to be another £3/4M outlay

Our total gross spend on that shower has to be £20M plus

What a shambles the Adams appointment was - someone at the club needs to hang there head in shame

We are an absolute laughing stock

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Newton"]Purple posted

"The net payment to which the club is committed to in respect of these transactions is £13.6m with a maximum further amount due of £3.5m dependent on Club and/or player performance.

Eveyone, I must apologise for assuming that the gross spend on our summer 10 was potentially £17.1M (£13.6M + £3.5M mentioned above).

Bearing in mind I am in agreement with the EDP article which claims out of the 10 only Jerome has proved his worth and as our total gross outlay may be nearer to £20M than the £13.6M mentioned you can see why we have not splashed the cash in this window[/quote]Er no. I haven''t said that at all. I haven''t said what is meant by that net liability. All I have done is reproduce what is said in the accounts. I haven''t interpreted it for you, because you purported to understand this stuff and so seemed to need interpretation.As to whether your interpretation is correct, and the extreme conclusions you draw from it, perhaps the best clue to that comes in your inability to count the number of players we signed in the summer. In your maths eight has become ten.[/quote]In the wake of Newton''s next and latest fantasy contribution I am bumping just in case anyone might actually believe his hilarious misrepresentations of what I have posted on this subject. As a rule of thumb from now on, for anyone still trying to follow this saga, I would suggest the wisest course of action would be to assume I certainly haven''t said whatever Newton says I have said.

[quote user="Newton"]Thank you Purple - yes you are right - if u add in the cost of Grabham & the other CH that got to be another £3/4M outlay

Our total gross spend on that shower has to be £20M plus

What a shambles the Adams appointment was - someone at the club needs to hang there head in shame

We are an absolute laughing stock[/quote]

Grabban was signed in the summer but before the end of the financial year. So Newton is right to add the £3m. to the other figures: £3m + £13.6m = £16.6m plus the add ons of £3.5m