Sign in to follow this  
barclay_boy111

Mike Phelan

[quote user="Matt Juler"]http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/norwich-city-mike-phelan-2215276.aspx[/quote]

Seemed inevitable in a way but I think it''s a shame. The question "how much of our improvement in form recently was down to him?" is one that will be asked now.

What a complete shambles it has been behind the scenes this season. If this gamble on Neil doesn''t pay off, McNally is going to be in a pretty sticky situation

Definitely saw that one coming...wondered why it took so long.

As soon as Alex Neil took over the dugout at Bournemouth, I knew Mike Phelan wouldn''t have been happy.

I wish him all the best.

I think it''s a massive shame. He was one of the reasons I was at ease with us employing the young and hungry Alex Neil. Phelan has overseen an upturn in our form and it''s obvious he was influential in that. It''s a shame he feels he can''t continue with this. I wonder if he pitches up at WBA now.

Gutted. But obviously he''s been approached to take over a Prem coaching role (good shout on West Brom) or even as a manager for a championship side?

Disappointing, he has been involved in both some of our recent highs (Millwall, Huddersfield and Bournemouth) but also some of our lows, in particular Reading and Preston away.

His experience we hoped would have been a massive benefit to Alex Neil, so lets hope that the imminent arrival of Frankie Mcavoy is good enough for Alex.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I think it''s a massive shame. He was one of the reasons I was at ease with us employing the young and hungry Alex Neil. Phelan has overseen an upturn in our form and it''s obvious he was influential in that. It''s a shame he feels he can''t continue with this. I wonder if he pitches up at WBA now.[/quote]

I don''t think anything substantial changed after Phelan joined. The players didn''t perform for him or Adams against Reading and Preston. In fact, those two performances were abysmal.

I second that ''Not bothered''...

What did he actually change about our game...

Before, during and after his tenure at NCFC, the defense was and is still shaky and there are still massive holes in our midfield.

Our improved form, for me, was coincidental with Phelan coming in. Players like Hooper returning from injury and playing well is what has improved our performances of late.

It was nice to have an ''experienced'' name on board but from a spectator point of view, I didn''t notice any remarkable changes to what I was seeing.

Was always certain to happen once Adams left, Neil arrived and announced Mc avoy would be coming too.Agree with whoever said above that this is just symptomatic of how chaotically things have been run in the first half of this season. One can only hope that under Neil, some sense prevails and stability ensues.

I''d naively thought when Alex Neil was appointed, Phelan would have been a part of the negotiation.  I suspected that was one of the reasons why we''d gone for such a young and inexperienced manager, i.e. that he would have an experienced coach in Phelan alongside him.  Maybe Phelan wanted the manager''s job after all.  As others have said, BIG gamble by McNally.

Don''t think he actually brought a lot to the party & his body language was always questionable. He''ll probably turn out to be another Peter Taylor - brilliant with one certain manager & totally useless with all the others.No big loss & it probably does us a favour.

We need and balance in our management team and Phelan would deliver this, this is a great loss and NCFC will regret this departure. It looks like we just want to be a mid table Championship side

[quote user="splutcho"]He''ll be going to Assistant Manager-less Hull I''d imagine.[/quote]

Where the same can happen there? Pruce gets sacked in a week or two, Phelan instilled early favourite and then someone else is brought in and Phelan leaves?

adams robson holt

robson leaves

phelan arrives

adams leaves

neil arrives

phelan leaves

mcavoy arrives

what a season of instability and its only January.

In the last twelve months we must have got through a lot of compensation money.Three managers, God knows how many coaches and assistants. Or does this rolling contract mean little has to be paid out?AS somebody said above, this has to be McNally''s last throw of the dice.

Gary Holt seems to be a fixture though.

His body language since Neil came in was appalling as highlighted by some of us after the Bournemouth game who were then shouted down by others on here.

pretty clear in my view that he came to us thinking he had a good chance of the top job if Adams got sacked. Indeed It would not surprise me if he was given assurances he would be in the running for it before he came down. Can;t think why else he would have been prepared to be number 2 to Neil Adams. To then see us appoint a new 33 years old manager (who confirmed he would bring his own coach) within a week thus not actually giving him any opportunity to prove his credentials for the job no doubt royally p****d him off. He''s been in the running for manager''s jobs elsewhere so its clearly something he wants to do. In my view he was therefore never going to be happy to stay here and work as number 3 under Neil and Macavoy.

Football is not like other jobs where managers come in and work alongside coaches they never knew before. Its rare. Managers want their own men alongside them on the training pitch and in the dugout. Holt may stay as i''m not sure where else he would go but he will no doubt be moved to a more peripheral role once Macavoy arrives.

PS All that money wasted just in a forlorn attempt to try and prop up Adams and justify their ludicrous summer managerial appointment. Phelan treated pretty badly as well really. Real shame. We move on as we have no choice but I hope Mcnally has finally got a grip again because the last 12 months have been a complete shambles.

[quote user="shaunieboy77"]adams robson holt

robson leaves

phelan arrives

adams leaves

neil arrives

phelan leaves

mcavoy arrives

what a season of instability and its only January.[/quote]You could add Joe Royle to that list and perhaps Paul Nevin who left at the beginning of this season.

If this circus is allowed to continue then we''ll have a tuppenny ha''penny management team, a squad full of second rate jocks and the players will be walking onto the pitch to the sound of bagpipes. We''re an absolute joke of a football club, a laughing stock.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]PS All that money wasted just in a forlorn attempt to try and prop up Adams and justify their ludicrous summer managerial appointment. Phelan treated pretty badly as well really. Real shame. We move on as we have no choice but I hope Mcnally has finally got a grip again because the last 12 months have been a complete shambles.[/quote]Could not have put it better myself, Jim.PS, whoever it was who gave the list of personnel in and out since the summer, he''s forgotten Joe Royle. Another farcical situation.The one bright side to this is that AN has so far given the impression that he will not stand for any ''here today/gone tomorrow'' stuff.   He appears to be a man driven by what HE wants, and will not stand for any ''revolving door'' appointments. Let''s hope so......

[quote user="Poceni Kanarski"]If this circus is allowed to continue then we''ll have a tuppenny ha''penny management team, a squad full of second rate jocks and the players will be walking onto the pitch to the sound of bagpipes. We''re an absolute joke of a football club, a laughing stock.[/quote]Nicely done!Now let''s see who bites... [:)]

agree this makes the appointment of Alex Neil a lot more risky. Lets hope he has what it takes to get us up without Phelan, and then McNally will quite rightly get his big annual bonus payment... If not then McNally has to go for orchestrating this shambles.