Sign in to follow this  
norfolkngood

Redmond lone striker ?

I watched Liverpool last night ( I know different level ) but stirling played very well upfront people say that Redmond is very much like him ( not as good I know )

but his ( RS ) pace unsettles the whole back four not just the left back I wondered if it would work with us

I know the service RS gets is far better than what NR would get but if we played a fluid 3 behind him for support I think it could work

I am not saying for one minute he will win any headers or be a holt type hold up player but has the game changed ? a narrow front four with them all roaming / free role nearly a front four of maybe turning Jerome into a walters ( stoke ) position I think if we we had Bj Wes Jerome roaming fluid behind him and not all sticking to one position it might work

I think that if the 4 attacking player all interchange it is a nightmare to defend against

still use 2 DM to cover with the RB and LB bombing on for width

NR is gradually improving, and certainly has pace to unsettle defenders, but always feel he can''t hit a barn door at 5 paces! His shooting isn''t his strength, so not convinced him as a lone striker would work.Always wonder about him just behind the front two though, or maybe a second striker as his pace would open things up?

Not that the system catered to it, but we tried this (Redmond upfront in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 on/off ball) for a fair while under Hughton, especially towards the tail end of last season. It started not long after (none other than) Sterling helped Liverpool give Manchester United a right nightmare in their fixture against them in such a position (at Old Trafford, i think, though can''t remember the score either). Aftewards there was a big cry among the fans for Redmond to take up the role. The Redmond did as much after the manager put him there, but i distinctly remember it not working.Though if i''m being honest strikers of any shape and form never did, and were never going to, profit from Hughton''s tactics.

He''s been improving all season and has been consistently superb on the right for a while now. Him, in that position is the first name on the team sheet for me. I also think he lacks the composure infront of goal, positional sense and all round experience in his game to lead the line.

Redmond is brilliant, but Sterling is in a whole different league imo I wouldn''t be a good idea