Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Hoolahan to Celtic?

FLW understands that Scottish giants Celtic are eyeing a deadline day move for Norwich City midfielder Wes Hoolahan.

FLW understands Hoolahan is a target for Celtic

FLW understands Hoolahan is a target for Celtic

According to FLW sources, Celtic scouts were present at St Andrews to watch the 32-year-old midfielder in action against Birmingham City on Saturday.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/celtic-eye-move-for-norwich-city-midfielder/

Always a tactical challenge for any manager, but - and against the prevailing sentiments of this and last season - one of our very few definitely premier league standard players.

Presents a problem for the opposition and - used correctly - a genuine premier league weapon.

No great market value, though impossible to replace at this level.

Parma

I cannot think of any player that has divided opinions amongst the faithful in the way Wes does now. And I stress the "now" part. If Celtic want him, then I believe it is in our best interest to let him go. He is more and more becoming a peripheral player for us. He has contributed very little either this, or last, season. He has undoubted talent, but he seems unable to produce his best but sporadically. His fans among us will counter my post, but I believe I am right.

[quote user="star_manic"]I cannot think of any player that has divided opinions amongst the faithful in the way Wes does now. And I stress the "now" part. If Celtic want him, then I believe it is in our best interest to let him go. He is more and more becoming a peripheral player for us. He has contributed very little either this, or last, season. He has undoubted talent, but he seems unable to produce his best but sporadically. His fans among us will counter my post, but I believe I am right.[/quote]

I believe you are wrong.

played consistently early on this season (when we were doing well), then got an injury. This doesn''t make him peripheral, it makes him injured.

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]Always a tactical challenge for any manager, but - and against the prevailing sentiments of this and last season - one of our very few definitely premier league standard players.

Presents a problem for the opposition and - used correctly - a genuine premier league weapon.

No great market value, though impossible to replace at this level.

Parma[/quote]I would say that "on his day" he is a premier league standard player.   He needs to be used correctly, yes, but he also has to play well.

A gifted player who is often ineffective, is pretty much the same as a less gifted player who occasionally plays above themselves.  A problem with our football over the last three seasons has been too many players dithering on the ball slowing play down. Wes still does this, even on a good day.

he can go on the list of players to cash in on now or in the summer:

bunn

whittaker

garrido

turner

cuellar

e.bennett

lafferty

hoolahan

grabban

becchio

Wes is past his best and offers little these days, been a great servant but we should have let him go after the Villa debacle last January.

[quote user="CJRV 2014"]he can go on the list of players to cash in on now or in the summer:

bunn

whittaker

garrido

turner

cuellar

e.bennett

lafferty

hoolahan

grabban

becchio[/quote]That''s basically the whole squad isn''t it?

ruddy rudd

martin bassong r.bennett

olsson

tettey johnson vadis howson

redmond

jerome hooper

hopefully toffolo and thompson are ready to come in.

In a way everybody is right.

It is true you either build team shape around him or you sell him. He does what he does and he doesn''t do what he doesn''t do.

Tactically when played he gives the opposition - at any level - a problem they have to counter strategically. Simply being a good player is not the same thing.

As for consistency LDC, Aguero is consistent, Suarez is consistent, Lampard is consistent...outside the top sphere of the game few are - and certainly not at our current level unless you lower expectations and playing style to limited formats (which are de-facto limited tactically).

If Wes commanded a high fee, he wants to leave, or there were few circumstances where you could envisage accomodating him as s manager, then sell.

I cannot see that any of these factors currently apply.

Parma

Let him go, let him go
Can''t hold him back any more
Let him go, let him go
Wave "goodbye" and slam the door
I don''t care
what they''re going to say
Let the trolls rage on
League One never bothered me anyway

Unless Celtic offer silly money then I can''t see the point of offloading him in this window. Whilst Wes can be frustrating he is capable of moments of brilliance and we might just need that in the matches leading up to the play offs and beyond.

Hoolahan is one of my favourite ever City players but I think we should have moved on from him a while ago.

He seemed to want out last January and we kept hold (or interested parties weren''t interested enough) but really what has he done for us in the last year? Not a whole lot. He doesn''t make as much happen as he used to -particularly so since Holt left.

He''s no good as a bit part player, he needs a run of games before he hits the form he''s capable of. When he''s sporadically in and out of the team he never really shines. If AN sees him as a regular starter then keep, if not then sell for anything above 300k.

As an aside I think he would be a brilliant signing for Celtic, playing in a slightly weaker league alongside easily the best players in the league he should really shine. He could probably even get away with playing CM there and could have two strikers to feed like he did in his best days here

[quote user="River End Canary"]Cash in and get that Pritchard from Brentford[/quote]

Could not agree more, and only age 21. Has energy and great vision, he is going to the top. Would be a great asset. But would they ever sell, and would he ever come?

[quote user="Bradwell canary"][quote user="River End Canary"]Cash in and get that Pritchard from Brentford[/quote]

Could not agree more, and only age 21. Has energy and great vision, he is going to the top. Would be a great asset. But would they ever sell, and would he ever come?[/quote]
He might well go to the top. It might be why Spurs have him to begin with. I can''t see Tottenham selling a bright youth prospect to us, can you?

[quote user="UpperBarclay"]Unless Celtic offer silly money then I can''t see the point of offloading him in this window. Whilst Wes can be frustrating he is capable of moments of brilliance and we might just need that in the matches leading up to the play offs and beyond. [/quote]

What''s silly money for wes?

£1.5 million?

If he goes fair play.

I have not been his biggest fan, his end product is not good enough to be considered a premiership player, best season was the league 1 campaign and championship season we went up.

For me he should have gone last January and if it was possible that a move that was needed. We need some cut throat decisions and hopefully today we will see some as we need new blood ASAP.

Thank you hoolahoops for being here at an exciting point of our history, for me a luxury that never materialised to a great such as dale Gordon and HUckerby. But fondly remembered.

We should have built our squad around others years ago and that is not his fault. That is management not getting better players in. Now we need too

[quote user="cityangel"]Hope he doesn''t go, love Wessie[/quote]

I hope Norwich block his move just to see if he throws a tantrum starts calling the club a shithouse again

You are right fatty man !

At least Bassong didn''t go public and slag the club off !!, I like Wes but he is a luxury player for us, fine when we are on top, but gives the ball away too much when we are backs against the wall, IMO.

Interesting that opinion seems to be we should have cashed in last January.

There were a lot of folk convinced that Hughton not playing Wes was one of the reasons for our struggles last season and that the team was crying out for his influence.

I guess Wes just splits opinion. Hughton destroyed him and should have been playing him but we should have sold him to Villa.

Boooo