Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

More midfielders

What exactly is Graham Dorrans position? Whether we get Noone or not, and whether we say Redmond & Bennett now fight for RM, we''ve still got:Johnson, Howson, Tettey, O''Neil, VOO, Murphy, Hoolahan, Laffs (unless he goes to Turkey!) & McgrandlesHave I forgotten anyone??To get another midfielder for loss of a LB (leaving us thin in cover for that area) is that what we really need.I think Dorrans is an attacking midfielder, and will bring a wealth of experience, but is this what we need

I think the fact that we had to play Whittaker as a centre midfielder probably answers that question, but of course if olsson is heading the other way then a left back is also needed as well as a left midfielder. It''s clear that we are trying for a left mid so that encouraging.

It seems, if the rumours are true of course and Olsson is going (and wants to go, especially according to his agent), we are playing a risky game having just one left back with such little time remaining. However there''s also the loan window, but I doubt we''ll want to go down that route

In terms of his role can I just add that at Hamilton he always used the same system - 4-1-4-1 and never changed. With the signing of Dorrans I can see him fitting into the 4.

My thinking is that AN could go for:

-------------------------Tettey----------------------

Redmond---Howson---Dorrans---Bennett

------------------------Jerome---------------------

This is what he did at Hamilton. He had Adreu as the hoolahan type figure, then a defensive mid like Tettey then a steadier centre mid (e.g Howson, O''Neil, Ofoe). However, Howson is more of a box to box player, Dorrans when I''ve seen him looks a bit like a Hoolahan type of player, but also has that precence of someone who can also play in centre midfield, a bit like Howson in that way.

I remember last season when we were having our best performances; this is when we ditched the 4-2-3-1 formation and went to this 4-1-4-1 formation with BJ as our defensive mid (if I remember correctly) and Howson and Fer playing in the centre of the 4 (which unfortunately stopped because of injury).

With the squad we have, Dorrans, Hoolahan, Howson, Ofoe and perhaps BJ and O''Neil who can also play there, I think this what we may come to see.

If we are going for Noone, the midfield will look incredibly strong.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]My thinking is that AN could go for:

-------------------------Tettey----------------------

Redmond---Howson---Dorrans---Bennett

------------------------Jerome---------------------

This is what he did at Hamilton. He had Adreu as the hoolahan type figure, then a defensive mid like Tettey then a steadier centre mid (e.g Howson, O''Neil, Ofoe). However, Howson is more of a box to box player, Dorrans when I''ve seen him looks a bit like a Hoolahan type of player, but also has that precence of someone who can also play in centre midfield, a bit like Howson in that way.

I remember last season when we were having our best performances; this is when we ditched the 4-2-3-1 formation and went to this 4-1-4-1 formation with BJ as our defensive mid (if I remember correctly) and Howson and Fer playing in the centre of the 4 (which unfortunately stopped because of injury).

With the squad we have, Dorrans, Hoolahan, Howson, Ofoe and perhaps BJ and O''Neil who can also play there, I think this what we may come to see.

If we are going for Noone, the midfield will look incredibly strong.[/quote]Rumour is we have had a million pound bid accepted for Adreu.

Maybe we could play midfielders in every position. Maybe AN wants to outdo NA''s 3 defenders in a xfer window, and sign 3 midfielders aswell