Sign in to follow this  
JC

Louis-Jean....not good enough and at fault for two goals this season...discuss.

Topic says it all really.  I thought he would be our reserve for Colin personally.   He is poor in the air, gets caught out of position, is weak overlapping.   The fact the whole defence kept looking his way, and the Green was screaming at him during the Crewe game would suggest they are not convinced either!

Darren Kenton anyone? I know he left under a bit of a cloud but it would cost too much to bring him in as it seems Southampton don''t want him. Correct me if thats incorrect. We know he can do a great job at the centre of defence as well as on the right side. Worth a look I reckon.

I have to agree with you. He was part of a defence that was relegated from this division last season remember... maybe that tells us something. I don''t know about the rest of you but, despite having his critics last season I think we really are missing Thomas Helveg. As has been pointed out so often, when he came back into the starting 11 are form went up. I know he had the odd moment of madness but 90% of the time he was much better than the alternatives we had. Remember he could also play one hell of a long ball, Ashton''s goal against Newcastle prooves this. Shame the world cup is coming up this summer as he seemed to enjoy it here.

Hmmmmm, he has not been too convincing at all really. Also remember the back pass against Inter. I predict that Colin will be started at RB within the next five games and will make the position his own. He is not being played at the moment probably cos Worthy thinks he hasn''t settled in yet and isn''t up to fitness or his grasp of English is still poor.

Nothing to discuss, JC. He looks a liability. I think that Eddy would have been better, judging on the two opening games! Give Colin a go!

Of course he''s not good enough, he came as a straight swap for Holty who was valued at what ?...if we had sold him direct we would probably have got about £100k at very max. £100k players do not get you out of the championship. We needed a decent RB and to save money we took MLJ. Hopefully Colin is the answer and will come in and do us a good job. I am very disappointed with the Summer transfer dealings, I hope Colin and Jarrett prove successful as they would be good business but I think we have acted more like a club that avoided relegation from the CCC than one that has just come down from the Prem. We seem to have scratched around, poked our noses in (eg Ryan Taylor), made noises of spending money but actually spent very little and ended up turning a profit despite clear deficiencies in the team, note: that is team, not squad - we needed to buy players who would improve our team not make up the numbers. And as for Hughes, £500k.........I said at the time that Coppell was taking us to the cleaners and it looks like he has.

Mark .Y.

I''ve an idea lets play that highly rated right back
we''ve got sitting on the bench who came from one of
europe''s top clubs. nah that would be daft.

[quote]Nothing to discuss, JC. He looks a liability. I think that Eddy would have been better, judging on the two opening games! Give Colin a go![/quote]

Exactly, Eddy probably would have been better. We may as well have kept Holt too because he was no worse than Hughes who cost us £500,000.

Get Colin in for Saturday!

The early signs are concerning but its a new club for him coming from a relegated team and I do not think we can judge him on the evidence of just two games.

Tuesday was poor but he deserves a fewmore game sto see how he develops - if there is no improvement then Colin gets his chance - if he is not in central defence by then.

OTBC 

Pleased to see a few with similar views to mine. He''s not that bad, just nothing outstanding. As people have said, he''s not great in the air, can whip in a good tackle, definitely bombed forward more on Tuesday but for both goals he''s been caught way out of position. I seem to remember someone saying Colin had a cracking game pre-season?

[quote]The early signs are concerning but its a new club for him coming from a relegated team and I do not think we can judge him on the evidence of just two games. Tuesday was poor but he deserves a fewmor...[/quote]

Actually ZLF I''m not sure I agree that we give him further time to bed in. I''ve just watched the highlights of the two matches so far on CanariesWorld. On both the goals we''ve conceded so far MLJ has been off up the field playing in centre midfield.

Hats off to Fleming for the attempt to stop the Crewe goal as he really committed himself to making a saving tackle.

That said, it does also raise the question about the lack of cover from right midfield. Where was Marney when Crewe''s Varney picked up the ball and ran at the defense. Sure MLJ got himself pulled out of position but where was his cover from midfield. If the right back goes forward, the wide right midfield guy has to cover. That didn''t happen and MLJ was left in no mans land.

umm didn''t everyone say how rubbish Helveg was after just two games and then he was promptly dropped.   We then went through a pretty alwful spell until his return when things picked up a little, yes a little, but it was too little too late by then.

Lets not make the same mistake and relegate a player to the bench after just two games.  I thought he was pretty much solid against Coventry, but didn''t see the Crewe game.   Deserves at least 4 or 5 games to get a fair trial though surely.  The same with Doc who now looks doomed to the bench for the rest of the season, when he shows more potential to improve than Flem.

Iwan Roberts took a whole season before he became settled and ended up as a legend. Others never settle. Whether he is good or bad will become clearer over the next few games but its way too early to judge yet.

On the strength of the first two games I wouldn''t have Hughes or Jarrett either but few are suggesting that.

Ashton looked like a headless chicken on Tuesday too, so we should all know better than to make any rash judgements on two games when the team has had no opportunity to gel.

Ashton was off his own pace, but he still set up countless opportunities for others, all wasted. Particularly the Mckenzie miss which was the worst ive ever seen. Re. the new players, we definitely arent shopping at harrods any more and it shows. We are obviously trying to do it on the cheap in the hope that Green, Huckerby, Ashton and Safri will carry the rest of the team. As home debuts go, most of those against coventry almost rank alongside that of Steve Walsh.

I think he has done reasonably well, but looks better going forward than defending.  Worthy played him in front of Colin for the second half of the Inter game and I thought they looked good in that formation down the right.

[quote]Ashton was off his own pace, but he still set up countless opportunities for others, all wasted. Particularly the Mckenzie miss which was the worst ive ever seen. Re. the new players, we definitely ar...[/quote]

You''re right, CD - we''re trying to do things on the cheap and it shows. However, by Xmas, Deano and and Bobby Green will want to leave if/when we''re only in the middle reaches of the table and a Prem side needs to boost their squad. Making Andy Hughes our "top" transfer target this summer says it all, really. Yes, there is a risk in spending out on quality, but the financial rewards of getting into the Prem are worth it - we did it a couple of seasons ago with Hux/Crouchy/Harper. As the saying goes, "you''ve got to speculate to accumulate"!      

As a regular reader of the site but cannot contribute that often, I must say this is an excellent thread with sensible comments from all sides of the ''argument''

I saw all the pre season games and there is no doubt that Colin is a far better player than MLR, but then Flem/Doc were a complete disaster and when Shacks came on he looked a class act but still didn''t influence the great Worthy''s selection for the Coventry game!!

I must say that whilst Colin would be in ahead of MLR any day I did think MLR showed signs of improvement as the Crewe game developed. Remember that MLR did not play too many games last year so didn''t really contribute too much to Forest''s relegation.

Some of Worthys signings have been sensible (Jarrett will be a firm crowd favourite) but that old thorny question regarding the quality of coaching staff simply will not go away.

If Worthy will not act to improve the quality of his coaching team and if he will not come clean on why he is not willing to invest on another central defender and proper ball playing midfielder, he very much risks being out of a job by January if results are not up to expectations. If the board are doing the dirty on him again then he should let us know. We will never have a better chance for promotion than this year. I have to say, though, that it''s not just results, it''s tactics and substitutions etc. that worry me as well.

Just look at the coaching team - who are they? What have they achieved? I rest my case. Please do not mention David Williams - he was the coach that encouraged the side ways movement  a la Ray Wilkins and destroyed everything Dave Stringer built, resulting in relegation and Stringer''s resignation.

If anyone can reassure me that this current team know what what their responsibilities are on the pitch I will be delighted. Most of the time it''s like watching local football.

The club has no excuse now. Whether they like it or not they are favourites to go up. Whether they like it or not they have more money than most in this league. The board have to decide why they exist. Is it to be dynamic and be involved in sport or is it to run a property development company!!

Sorry folks - there are some really super contributions on this board but I still really worry about the whole set up of the club. Our supporters who can attend the games are brilliant. Those who say we do not get behind the team should go to away games. The team must play in a way that encourages vocal support. It''s the same whether you are Geordie, Scouser, Cockney or a Yella!

I think that covers most things. Mrs BY wants my body now - so - off to bed!

[quote]I think he has done reasonably well, but looks better going forward than defending. Worthy played him in front of Colin for the second half of the Inter game and I thought they looked good in that fo...[/quote]

But who would you prefer on the right of midfield. Dean Marney who has setup a goal and looked like a potentially class act in this league, or MLJ who has looked shakey to say the least.