Sign in to follow this  
River End Canary

Our Pitch

I was at the Bournemouth game the other week and what impressed me was the quality of the playing surface even in January it was like a bowling green. Ours this year is pretty poor and the ball was bobbling all over the place against Brentford last week.

Not sure why it is so bad this season but really needs to be relayed asap. PS I blame McNally and the lack of investment for the state of the pitch. What was particularly disappointing is that we didnt sign a new groudsman during the transfer window

Relay the pitch?

The only decent tackle made that day was the pitches intervention as Gray shot in the first minute - that bobble stopped a clear goal, something our cbs have struggled to do all season.

FCR Pitch for POTS.

ZLF you make a good point but I firmly believe that Bournemouth can play the style of football they are this year because the surface allows them to. It is these details that make the difference between good and bad results.

One thing for sure the Messiah would never have allowed McNasty to get away with such an awful playing surface

It''s a valid point, it does seem like it could do with some work on it.

It''s the same for both sides is usually the logic but if they train a lot indoors on a perfectly flat surface then you get a false impression of how a ball will react on grass.

Thats why you are a hapless troll &McNasty is a footballing genius REC. You still have an 8 year olds belief that we can actually play football.

McN has seen that our midfield creators have no ability to pass a ball, it being air borne more often than passed on the floor. In a move of John Beck brilliance McNasty has recognised we can have a 12th player, being the pitch and has ordered a negative maintenance program . It disrupts teams who have players of ability and has no impact on ours inability to pass to a yellow shirt

(Wes the possible exception - I agree it may explain why he has not been as effective - he has to hurdle some of the lumps and cant pass or dribble as well as under the lord lambert snooker table)

River End Canary wrote the following post at 04/02/2015 12:17 PM:

I was at the Bournemouth game the other week and what impressed me was the quality of the playing surface even in January it was like a bowling green. Ours this year is pretty poor and the ball was bobbling all over the place against Brentford last week.

Not sure why it is so bad this season but really needs to be relayed asap. PS I blame McNally and the lack of investment for the state of the pitch. What was particularly disappointing is that we didnt sign a new groudsman during the transfer window

River End Darren Eaddie said on the radio the other week that for the first time in years - Norwich decided not to relay the pitch last summer - he suggested it was done to save money & it was now back firing on us as the playing surface was much poorer than previous years

Saying that the poor surface down the River End did us a favour against Brentford as the boble in the 2nd min denied Gray an almost open goal

[quote user="Molly Windley"]Heres a thought ..... is it bobbly because they cannot water it pre game if the air temperature is too low with the risk of it freezing?

[/quote]

undersoil heating....

Wasn''t aware you could re-lay what is essentially a plastic pitch.

When the pitch was changed so that it was entwined with the fake grass, it''s not as simple as digging it up and relaying it every season without taking up the plastic bit (if that''s even possible)

Not sure how long it''s been down though so maybe it has a shelf life and we''ve reached that time?

Any pitch experts out there??

I''ll be waiting for someone to use this as an excuse

"I wasn''t booing Whittaker I was booing the pitch!"

[quote user="Buh"]I''ll be waiting for someone to use this as an excuse "I wasn''t booing Whittaker I was booing the pitch!"[/quote]

Or indeed the geezers who come out with the pitchforks at half time!

This is what Eadie said was not done last summer :-

The Carrow Road pitch is not just hallowed – it is special too. The club’s Desso surface marries 20million synthetic grass strands with natural grass, which makes up the other 97 per cent of the surface. It all helps to prevent divots and keep the pitch at its best through the winter and beyond.

All that Kemp is now hoping for is good growing weather over the next month to ensure City have a pitch that does justice to their Premier League status.

“Desso grass, which is the plastic strands, they stay in the pitch all the time – we just use a heavy scarifying machine that rips all the grass out but leaves the plastic in,” Kemp told the club’s official website.

“The sand is put on to dress and get the levels back up again, and we have to work it in with a brush.

“We’ve got seven weeks to grow it to play on. It’s tight, like it always is, but if it stays warm it shouldn’t be a problem

Really?

Our ground and pitch is superb for this level of football.

You''re just picking at nothing now.

We have only one player that plays on the ground anyway. So it''s in our favour against teams that play the ball along the ground

[quote user="Newton"]

This is what Eadie said was not done last summer :-

The Carrow Road pitch is not just hallowed – it is special too. The club’s Desso surface marries 20million synthetic grass strands with natural grass, which makes up the other 97 per cent of the surface. It all helps to prevent divots and keep the pitch at its best through the winter and beyond.

All that Kemp is now hoping for is good growing weather over the next month to ensure City have a pitch that does justice to their Premier League status.

“Desso grass, which is the plastic strands, they stay in the pitch all the time – we just use a heavy scarifying machine that rips all the grass out but leaves the plastic in,” Kemp told the club’s official website.

“The sand is put on to dress and get the levels back up again, and we have to work it in with a brush.

“We’ve got seven weeks to grow it to play on. It’s tight, like it always is, but if it stays warm it shouldn’t be a problem

[/quote]

Why did Eadie think we were in the Premier League last summer, was he asleep at the end of the season?

Who is Kemp?

What wasn''t done, was it the scarifying or the sanding?

Those are the words of Gary Kemp, the NCFC head groundsman. I can remember reading that article 3 or 4 years ago. What Newton was stating is that this whole process was not performed this summer, as alluded to by Eadie.

Is there any evidence that the condition of the Carrow Road pitch is adversely affecting play this year as opposed to last? Is Bradley Johnson''s passing even worse this year than last? Actually no. Is Alex Tettey''s passing worse? No. Is Nathan Redmond''s shot accuracy worse? No. it''s actually better this year. I could go on.

Herman wrote the following post at 04/02/2015 4:34 PM:

Gary Kemp''s our groundsman! Is this True?

I think Gary Kemp and Ricky Martin should do a little duet before the next game. We could then BOO and get in the right mood for the footy.

....and Chris Martin back. Job''s a good ''un. I''d even buy a ticket just so I could boo till my throat blew up[Y]

If you think the pitch at Carrow Road is "bad" you obviously didn''t follow our brief spell in League 1 very closely.

I remember us playing like Brazil at Colchester Who on a pitch that made a ploughed field look well kept.

STAN wrote the following post at 04/02/2015 5:53 PM:

If you think the pitch at Carrow Road is "bad" you obviously didn''t follow our brief spell in League 1 very closely.

I remember us playing like Brazil at Colchester Who on a pitch that made a ploughed field look well kept.

I remember it well Stan. It was the first and last time I can recall approaching a stadium and thinking we would need a ferry to get to the ground.

re Bournemouth''s pitch, - the height of the stands mean that natural light can get to the grass better.

I know Carrow Road uses artificial lights in the goal mouth area - but not sure if this is a reason.

Most premiership ground have good pitches and high stands so maybe not.

Bring back the Baseball ground!