Sign in to follow this  
KoromaCrab

Did Norwich try hard enough to keep Lambert?

Did NCFC really put all the cards on the table to keep Lambert as Manager beyond his first season in PL? Could his decision to leave for Villa been swayed...?

Also at what point did Lambert or the club know that they would part... was it mid way through the first PL season or post season?

Very interesting post. Clearly not Mcnasty and the messiah fell out. The big mistake the Stowmarket 2 made was backing McNasty and not the Messiah in their disagreement. The rest as the saying goes is history

It''s not well known, but Norwich wanted rid. He was told by certain parties his services were not required, but I''m sure no-one will believe me and all would be denied. So take it or leave it.

[quote user="gitto"]It''s not well known, but Norwich wanted rid. He was told by certain parties his services were not required, but I''m sure no-one will believe me and all would be denied. So take it or leave it.[/quote]I''m afraid I can''t believe this until Row D Seat 7 confirms it. He is the only one on here who has contacts in the boardroom. [:)]

Its always struck me as slightly spooky that his first appearance at CR was with his previous club and his last game was with his next club. From Colchester - Aston Villa via Norwich, with no gaps in between. Seamless.

He wanted a team more likely to keep him in the Prem and seems vindicated by his decision to join Villa wether we like it or not.

As far as his CV was concerned he''d done all he could with us.

Lambert wanted to buy players , no money available as all was used to repay debt (oddly enough this also increased the value of the Stowmarket 2''s shares but that''s another thread)

McNally was instructed by the Board to tell him he could not have a penny

Lambert being an abrasive individual told McNally what he could do with his club and passed his best wished onto big D & her mates - got in his car & drove off into the sunset

Cant gtee it exactly like that but suggest that is not far off from the truth

The rest is history - 2 x very nice polite managers since - lets see if this current scot will be as rude as abrasive as Lambert bearing in mind we appear to be penniless following Adams summer bonanza

PS Lafferty or San Miquel anyone - we don''t want or need them ?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="gitto"]It''s not well known, but Norwich wanted rid. He was told by certain parties his services were not required, but I''m sure no-one will believe me and all would be denied. So take it or leave it.[/quote]I''m afraid I can''t believe this until Row D Seat 7 confirms it. He is the only one on here who has contacts in the boardroom. [:)][/quote]Row D Seat 7 would have to produce written minutes from the relevant board meetings, lapps, and even then I would only be convinced they were genuine if they had crucial sentences missing and words changed to alter the meaning...

I would put it another way.   "Do fans try hard enough to understand things?"   or do they just going along with whatever rumour or piece of gossip that is put out there.  Don''t people realise there are some people that get off on starting rumours -  they like people taking on board the rumours and before you know it, especially if its a juicy rumour, it spreads and the rumour becomes "fact" or should I say "psuedo fact" - if there is such a thing.

No one knows for sure about Lambert. Those that say they do, probably don''t know all the facts and are just reporting what they''ve "heard" on the grapevine.  There are always two sides to a falling out and we will never know everything - so what is the point?   Haven''t we moved on from this yet? Does it matter?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Is G & Y right Gitto? We''re all on tenterhooks here....[/quote]

Well then Nutty, the only way I can see that Gitto can be correct if he confirms G & Y is also correct is if the certain party asserting that his services were no longer required was the other party''s wife. [:)]

p.s: Realize I''m on dangerous ground here but couldn''t resist it.

Reading on Villatalk and with no goals in over 10 hours and 11 for the season, it seems many villa fans feel like they arnt trying hard enough to get rid of Lambert!

Paul Lambert calculated that his best odds for progressing his career lay in moving to Villa.

He cashed in on his achievements with us at what he felt was our - and his - highest point.

A logical, calculated decision.

Parma

Parma - Your statement is not logical or calculated - its just a view based on no facts what so ever

Do u seriously think he would have jumped ship if we had given him a transfer kitty of £25M - probably how much Hughton got 12 mths later ?

At least my suggestion was based on one known fact - we decided to pay the debt off that summer rather than invest in the squad - so had nothing to spend

Get real Parma instead of patting yourself on the back for making up fairy stories

River End Canary wrote the following post at 01/02/2015 3:36 PM:

Newton Every p@ss poor decision that has been made over the past 15 years or so can be directly traced back to the Stowmarket 2

River your right

They haven''t got a clue what they are doing, just had one piece of luck with a desperate last throw of the dice with Lambert when we were about to go bust - but failed to keep him and look where we are now :-

Appointed a Manager who was so far out of his depth it was embarrassing - he walked after 9 mths but not before :-

He had spunked £13/20M in the summer on a number players we don''t need or don''t play:-

Leaving us on the 1st Feb with an unbalanced squad, no cash to spend in the transfer market, 8th in the table, chance of automatic promotion all but gone and a new inexperienced manager who wants to introduce a new style of play and clearly does not rate some of our squad:-

Bearing in mind all the bravado that spewed out from the Board in May and that ridiculous radio interview Delia did with hubby on radio Norfolk pontificating about the Norwich way - we are in the do do now and she knows it

Is this current situation due to the Owners / Board - of course not Delia & Hubby are completely exonerated and the blame falls on the shoulders of the other 5 she has gathered around her

But consider this - Over the last 15 years there is a recurring trend of failure with the only common factor - yes you got it the Stowmarket 2

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]Paul Lambert calculated that his best odds for progressing his career lay in moving to Villa.

He cashed in on his achievements with us at what he felt was our - and his - highest point.

A logical, calculated decision.

Parma[/quote][Y]I don''t think there was much the club could do with someone as ambitious as Lambert. We were merely a stepping stone in his career path.

Not sure most would want him back now with his current record at Villa.Another thrashing, no goals and the Villa fans baying for blood.

I think it''s worth remembering that he was offered longer term contracts but always refused to sign them. He almost left us after promotion as well.Not only that but he has form for it. He left us in more or less the same way he left Colchester.He wanted bigger and better things and he is now in his third season with Villa. And in his third relegation battle with them.

"Do u seriously think he would have jumped ship if we had given him a transfer kitty of £25M - probably how much Hughton got 12 mths later?"

Interesting point. Perhaps Lambert argued his case as to why his squad and the club would benefit from him having the transfer money for the 2nd season rather than the third, and then when he found they went ahead with paying the debt, he''d had enough.

I do wonder who Lambert would have bought with the same money Hughton had as his disposal.